Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #1
rockfla

Default TIG welder recomendations

Any recommendation's on a "First Time" shop TIG welder???? Anyone have Eastwoods 200 machine???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: TIG welder recomendations

I recently watched a couple of Youtube videos about some inexpensive TIG/stick welders that looked interesting. I will look for them and post a link if I find them again.

I am interested in seeing the response you get regarding this topic.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
Ronnie

Do you have a dollar limit established. That is a big factor.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
rbone

I use a Miller 215 Multiprocess machine. Yes, they are costly, but it works very well. If the look of the weld is not important, less expensive machines will do.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Ronnieroadster

I prefer the Miller welders. Depending on what you hope to do and how much you will weld as well as if you decide to weld aluminum a good sized machine in the end is a better way to go. You mention the word shop in your post if its a home shop the smaller welder will do but if you decide to weld heaver materials the small welder will be a big disappointment. A bigger welder will weld smaller material the opposite is not true with the small machines.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
rockfla

Let me clarify a few things

SHOP: Just for my home use, on my projects, mostly 18ga sheet metal, the occasional cracked bracket support or for fab-ing up something for my cars!!! NOT a production/everyday business use!!!

Bigger machines: I have a 50amp Lincoln MIG machine now....I think its capable of up to 5/8" steel which is WAY more than I will ever face!!! SO I have this machine as well!!!

Budget: As always as cheap as I can BUT as much as it takes to get a good performer!!!! I was watching the video on the Eastwood TIG 200, its $699 right now and reading some of the reviews.....I was thinking at that price that's pretty do-able!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
Krylon32

I have a liquid cooled Miller Tig about 10 years old that replaced another Miller that just got to old to get parts for. My welder needs a liquid cooled machine because when he starts to finish weld a chassis it's continuous for 4-5 hours.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Have had an Eastwoods Tig 200 AC/DC for a number of years.
It's like anything unfamiliar in that you have to use it to find out how.
I have always had good results on Aluminum, steel and stainless.
The only thing is that when I got mine it did not come with Gas lens/diffuser tips.
That's what you should get for better gas diffusion if you choose to buy the unit.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 04-04-2021 at 02:36 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
Ziggster

I'm in the same boat. Would be a nice to have, but prices (even used) have kept me away. Got me a cheap Chinese plasma cutter (220V), and it has been great. Cut up a buddies entire Land Cruiser in a matter of hours.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #10
Pete

Spend the money to get something bigger than you anticipate using.
Look at it this way, whether you like it or not, as soon as you get a welder, your friends will be coming around to "get something quick tacked together". This is good but tell them the consumables are expensive and you have to charge them for that but you won't charge for your time and labor. Eventually, your new welder will be paid off.
A quick tip; while you are learning to weld stay away from jobs that might involve liability.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #11
fortyfords

I got one of those old Gold Star 300 tig/stick welders when TWA was bought out by AA, AA had to have new stuff to work with. Those old welders have only one moving part but they are 850 lbs and take up some space. They aren't expensive but just don't have some of those nice new features like pulsing etc. They have a water cooled torch so they are made to weld all day long and the tungsten stays like new all day. Work great in my hobby shop
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
39portlander

Go check out welding tips & tricks.com, Miller/Lincoln/ect. dah skills are in dah hands as my old welding instructor youstah say

I'm a fairly good Mig guy and have a Miller, they just had a good deal and 6mo interest free financing @ the time so I went with them.

If I need TIG I have a great resource and they use Miller, good luck and let us know how you make out.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #13
deuce5wndw

I have a Miller mig and when I wanted a tig I looked hard at the miller. I had gotten to the point I have a hard time seeing what I'm doing through a shade 10 lens so i looked at the Cobra torch for sheet metal work. I love it and I use a shade 5 flip up lens on my shop glasses so I can see!! I think with the regulators and torch kit it was comparable with what you are looking at. This is what worked for me but your mileage may vary.
Dale
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #14
cas3

The big older machines are cheap and will likely outlast any of the new fangled stuff. some say the new inverter types weld easier, but the old welders work just fine. I bought an old miller Dialarc HF, air cooled torch and long leads, foot pedal, with regulator for 500.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #15
deuce_roadster

I have an older Airco Idealarc TIG machine that was used on building a nuclear powerplant that never operated in this state. Got it really cheap with a full large bottle of argon. The nuke cooling towers are visible from the highway but they never produced a watt of energy. The nice thing is that the welder was certified regularly. Has copper windings, an 845 lb machine that welds really nicely.
A note to Rockfla- don't expect to instantly be a great TIG welder. It takes a lot of practice even if you are a good all around welder. For me, it was hard to break old gas welding habits when it seemed to be getting too hot, I would pull back and lose the arc. Get yourself a cheap belt sander to put new points on your tungsten that is not used for anything else. Have fun learning!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #16
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have both Lincoln and Miller TIG machines. I thought the Miller was great until I used the Lincoln and immediately bought it. There is that much difference. For me a foot pedal is essential especially for magnesium and aluminum welding and the high frequency start is great for some precise steel and stainless jobs where scratch starting is less desirable.

I agree with those who suggest obtaining the best machine you can afford. The newer Inverter machines offer many likeable welding characteristics worth looking at.

And finally it is a learned skill to become proficient. In most cases those with MIG only experience have a longer learning curve.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #17
Scotty's 52 F3

I have an HTP inverter TIG. 10 year so far and no issues. Made in Italy though. Bought it from USA Weld. Great support if you need it. Never found a bad review. Well, when I was shopping. I haven't looked in 10 years.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:16 AM   #18
cas3

For sharpening the tungsten I bought a 4" diamond coated thing from harbor freight, originally intended for sharpening saw blades. Its mounted on the outside of a bench grinder stone, so you still have the stone, but on the side is the diamonds to finish grind your point. cheap, works good
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:32 AM   #19
flatmotor40

I have a old Hobart cyber tig 300 amp ac/dc.You need to get a ac/dc if you need it.I trade a Miller econo tig to a friend even a few years ago.The only trouble is nobody now days knows how to work on these old machines if something happens.All use old one are going bu the way side.As for sharpen your tungsten I bought the Eastwood Tungston sharpener and it really works great Got it for$75 on sale.You can only use it for that.Get the most amp you can so you can weld aluminum if you need it.Like transmission ears and stuff
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #20
Frank Miller

Wray got an Everlast machine and it has worked quite well. Here he is teaching Jac to weld aluminum. What is nice about the TIG is you can fusion weld and control the heat with the pedal when on continuous.

If you plan on teaching yourself there are a lot of videos and articles about it. I've found I need to keep the torch moving and out of the puddle. A good comfortable welding position is essential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RXW_zAbMLQ