Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
CarlG

Default Bert's

Kudos to Bert's Model A in Denver.

Placed an order on line on Saturday. This is Tuesday (after a Monday holiday) and the Post Office says it's out for delivery today. USPS Flat Rate box.

I certainly can't complain about that kind of service from Bert's or the USPS.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Bert's

another company that does NOT leave parts sit on the counter for 2 days before shipping.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
fireup4

Steve at Bert's does it well
fireup4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Rojo

Agree with previous posts completely. After starting work again on my family car after almost 60 years, it's not just the great service I receive when I order, but the personal time Steve and Tim take to help explain or advise on my problem. I recently needed a water outlet neck for my '29 and Steve suggested a beautiful original part that looked like NOS for the same price as the repro....can't ask for more than that! Hope to visit these folks someday soon...
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
BlueSunoco

Now seriously, wouldn't that be a dream job, working at Bert's!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
P.S.

Being surrounded by original Model A parts would be the great part. The customers.....
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
29er

I assume everybody's seen this... but it's still good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQXIcGLy-r0
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

Looks like the amount of white smoke I had when I first fired up the delivery. My daughters who were all 3 in the shop at the time were not impressed. I however was grinning ear to ear although I was quite sick at the time as it was about 3 weeks before I found out I had colon cancer. Rod
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post

I hadn't....thanks, it was interesting.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
Not George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4894336820.html

It is for sale locally, it is not mine, don't know who owns it, I have never even seen the car.
Not George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #11
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
another company that does NOT leave parts sit on the counter for 2 days before shipping.
Be nice if, for once, you could just say something positive instead of a backhanded swipe of passive aggressiveness. We all know you don't like Mac's. It's great that the OP got his parts. I think this speaks more to the much-maligned USPS who managed a quick delivery from Denver to Anchorage than anything else. Good for all concerned.

Maybe it's time to discuss Model A's and not rehash everyone's known opinions of suppliers?

Y'all have a nice day-I will be spending the day with my family and my granddaughter which is way more important on the cosmic scale of things.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
mshmodela

That's very impressive considering you're in Alaska.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
5window

Standard Ground From To Charge 0.01 29.99 8.99 // 30.00 74.99 10.99 // 75.00 149.99 17.99 //150.00 299.99 29.99 //300.00 And Up 45.99

Mac's Standard shipping, which is actually pretty standard for mail order companies (see Land's End, REI,etc)

In fairness, you have to admit that shipping times are determined by the CARRIER, not the shipper.

In fairness, you must admit that sales tax collection is dictated by state governments, not the supplier. Anything you order online or by mail here in PA must gave sales tax paid on the item AND the shipping. Again, that's the legislature's greed, not the fault of the supplier.

A company that's not charging you shipping or sales tax is either a: being illegal or b: hiding the costs in their pricing of parts or c:working on a faulty business plan that will end badly.

Also, just to be fair, I just went onto Bert's site and "ordered" a $9.95 part. The site won't tell me what my shipping is ("only actual shipping charges" doesn't mean actual postage charges) unless I provide a credit card for payment. I KNOW Bert's is a great place and I am not picking on them. But, as a consumer, I want to know what my total cost is before i hit the order button. And, yes, I will need to pay PA sales tax on all of that order including shipping.

Last edited by 5window; 02-21-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post

A company that's not charging you shipping or sales tax is either a: being illegal or b: hiding the costs in their pricing of parts or c:working on a faulty business plan that will end badly.
I disagree. Internet sales are not required to collect tax unless the shipper and buyer live in the same state......so far and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Free shipping depends upon the carrier and how well the shipper can absorb the cost, no different that offering a % discount and the same as USPS having flat rate shipping charges offered now and I hear tell, UPS is about to do the same. Volume of sales will depend upon any business going under from burgers to car parts.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
31 Model A

The success to any business is Customer Service. Give the customer what he wants and that customer will come back and back and back.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I disagree. Internet sales are not required to collect tax unless the shipper and buyer live in the same state......so far and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Free shipping depends upon the carrier and how well the shipper can absorb the cost, no different that offering a % discount and the same as USPS having flat rate shipping charges offered now and I hear tell, UPS is about to do the same. Volume of sales will depend upon any business going under from burgers to car parts.
Illinois is not PA and you're just wrong:

Department of Revenue > General Tax Information > Tax Types and Information > Use Tax For Individuals Use Tax for Individuals

When sales tax is not charged by the seller on a taxable item or service, the consumer is required by law to report and remit use tax to the Department of Revenue. Purchases made over the Internet, through toll-free numbers, from mail-order catalogs and from out-of-state locations are examples of purchases subject to use tax when sales tax is not paid. The tax rate is the same as the sales tax, 6 percent state, plus 1 percent local tax for items purchased in, delivered to or used in Allegheny County or 2 percent local tax in Philadelphia.
Easy and Convenient Filing Options
In an effort to raise awareness about use tax obligations and encourage voluntary compliance with use tax law, beginning with tax year 2011, the department simplified the use tax reporting and payment process by adding a use tax line to the PA-40 Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Return. Taxpayers may now easily report and pay use tax annually using padirectfile, Fed/State e-File or the paper PA-40. View details on how to calculate, report and pay use tax in conjunction with the PA personal income tax filing.
Additional Resources
Taxpayers unsure of whether an item or service purchased tax-free is subject to use tax are encouraged to review the list of examples below and the searchable Retailer’s Information Guide (REV-717) for an extensive list of taxable items and services.
Additional information is also available in the Use Tax for Individuals Brochure (REV-1748).
Examples of When Use Tax is Due
When you purchase taxable property or services over the Internet, from catalogs or by phone without paying Pennsylvania sales tax, and when the seller has the property or services delivered into Pennsylvania, you are required to pay use tax.
Example: You buy a book from a website that does not collect Pennsylvania sales tax. The book is delivered by the website through a freight company to you in Pennsylvania. You owe Pennsylvania use tax on the entire purchase price of the book, including any shipping and handling fees charged by the seller. If you live in Allegheny County or Philadelphia, you also owe an additional 1 or 2 percent local use tax.
Example: You buy jewelry as gift for a friend from a website that does that not collect Pennsylvania sales tax. The jewelry is delivered by the website through a freight company to your friend in Pennsylvania. You owe Pennsylvania use tax on the entire purchase price of the jewelry, including any charge for shipping and handling charged by the seller. If your friend lives in Allegheny or Philadelphia County, you also owe an additional 1 or 2 percent local use tax.
When you purchase taxable property from a seller who is located outside of Pennsylvania and the property is delivered into or used in Pennsylvania, you are required to pay use tax.
Example: You buy a desk in Delaware and you bring it into Pennsylvania to use in your home. You owe use tax on the desk.
Example: While on vacation in New Hampshire, you purchase a set of skis that are delivered to your home in Pennsylvania. You owe Pennsylvania use tax, and if the skis are delivered to or used in Allegheny or Philadelphia County, local use tax on the total purchase price of the skis, including any charge for shipping and handling.
When you take or send property out of Pennsylvania to have a taxable service performed on that property, and then bring or have the property shipped back into Pennsylvania, you are required to pay use tax on the service.
Example: You take your watch to Delaware to be repaired. After it has been fixed, you bring it back to Pennsylvania. You owe use tax on the repair service.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Illinois is not PA and you're just wrong:

Department of Revenue > General Tax Information > Tax Types and Information > Use Tax For Individuals Use Tax for Individuals

When sales tax is not charged by the seller on a taxable item or service, the consumer is required by law to report and remit use tax to the Department of Revenue. Purchases made over the Internet, through toll-free numbers, from mail-order catalogs and from out-of-state locations are examples of purchases subject to use tax when sales tax is not paid. The tax rate is the same as the sales tax, 6 percent state, plus 1 percent local tax for items purchased in, delivered to or used in Allegheny County or 2 percent local tax in Philadelphia.
Easy and Convenient Filing Options
In an effort to raise awareness about use tax obligations and encourage voluntary compliance with use tax law, beginning with tax year 2011, the department simplified the use tax reporting and payment process by adding a use tax line to the PA-40 Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Return. Taxpayers may now easily report and pay use tax annually using padirectfile, Fed/State e-File or the paper PA-40. View details on how to calculate, report and pay use tax in conjunction with the PA personal income tax filing.
Additional Resources
Taxpayers unsure of whether an item or service purchased tax-free is subject to use tax are encouraged to review the list of examples below and the searchable Retailer’s Information Guide (REV-717) for an extensive list of taxable items and services.
Additional information is also available in the Use Tax for Individuals Brochure (REV-1748).
Examples of When Use Tax is Due
When you purchase taxable property or services over the Internet, from catalogs or by phone without paying Pennsylvania sales tax, and when the seller has the property or services delivered into Pennsylvania, you are required to pay use tax.
Example: You buy a book from a website that does not collect Pennsylvania sales tax. The book is delivered by the website through a freight company to you in Pennsylvania. You owe Pennsylvania use tax on the entire purchase price of the book, including any shipping and handling fees charged by the seller. If you live in Allegheny County or Philadelphia, you also owe an additional 1 or 2 percent local use tax.
Example: You buy jewelry as gift for a friend from a website that does that not collect Pennsylvania sales tax. The jewelry is delivered by the website through a freight company to your friend in Pennsylvania. You owe Pennsylvania use tax on the entire purchase price of the jewelry, including any charge for shipping and handling charged by the seller. If your friend lives in Allegheny or Philadelphia County, you also owe an additional 1 or 2 percent local use tax.
When you purchase taxable property from a seller who is located outside of Pennsylvania and the property is delivered into or used in Pennsylvania, you are required to pay use tax.
Example: You buy a desk in Delaware and you bring it into Pennsylvania to use in your home. You owe use tax on the desk.
Example: While on vacation in New Hampshire, you purchase a set of skis that are delivered to your home in Pennsylvania. You owe Pennsylvania use tax, and if the skis are delivered to or used in Allegheny or Philadelphia County, local use tax on the total purchase price of the skis, including any charge for shipping and handling.
When you take or send property out of Pennsylvania to have a taxable service performed on that property, and then bring or have the property shipped back into Pennsylvania, you are required to pay use tax on the service.
Example: You take your watch to Delaware to be repaired. After it has been fixed, you bring it back to Pennsylvania. You owe use tax on the repair service.
Did you read what you posted, after reading what I posted? I understand what you posted pertains to you, not everyone here lives in or buys from PA. If PA has a PA tax collections agreement with certain out of state internet sellers, what you posted my apply but thanks to free enterprise, there is more than one on-line business selling the same item that is not with agreement with PA.....and it you want to report your on-line transactions on your state income tax returns, that's up to you.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
wrndln

5window - give it a rest!
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #19
marc hildebrant

5window...check the federal requirements for Sales Tax with regards to the Supreme Court rulings.

Your info is from states that try to collect taxes...

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
Fred K-OR

Wow here they go again!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote