Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
B_man_Al

Default Resistance Ignition Wire

Has anyone tried using just a resistance wire between the coil and the distributor cap to reduce radio interferrence, while leaving the original flat spring wires between the cap and the plugs. I have a 12v system with a radio and a CD player. The FM's OK but AM is a disaster.

My thinking is that just doing the coil wire might provide enough current limiting to minimize the ignition noise.

I have a conventional cap which would take the resistance wires, but it don't look to Model B ish.

Al
B_man_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Resistance Ignition Wire

Don't use carbon core --look for some that has fine wire wraped around the core ---for experimenting try stopping at a garage and see if they have something used
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Minerva ran fine, with ALL resistor wires & the '32 type cap & it took all the noise out of my OOOLD transistor radio. Bill W.

(Some vacuum hoses apparently have carbon in the rubber & WILL conduct ignition voltage. I saw an International V-8 run with an 8" piece of vacuum hose for a coil wire!!)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-24-2013 at 11:59 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
B_man_Al

Bill ...

Do you mean you used resistance wire with an original cap meant for the flat spring plug wires, or a cap designed to take resistance wires ( round female connectors on the cap?)

My original post may have been misleading. I am using the original cap, but also have a new cap which would take the resistance wires.
B_man_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
newshirt

Here's another thought... Instead of hardwiring stuff to your Model A, consider switching to a smartphone. You can get all your AM and FM stations with iHeartRadio, and listen to all your music with Pandora. Those apps are free and you can listen to radio stations that are thousands of miles away. The days of local broadcasters are over and they will be shutting down over next few decades; it's internet broadcasting now, baby! The turn-by-turn GPS app is also free from Google. All the accessories you want to hardwire to your Model A are already on your phone!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Here's another thought... Instead of hardwiring stuff to your Model A, consider switching to a smartphone. You can get all your AM and FM stations with iHeartRadio, and listen to all your music with Pandora. Those apps are free and you can listen to radio stations that are thousands of miles away. The days of local broadcasters are over and they will be shutting down over next few decades; it's internet broadcasting now, baby! The turn-by-turn GPS app is also free from Google. All the accessories you want to hardwire to your Model A are already on your phone!
That's interesting.
One of these days I'm going to have to leave my cave and buy a cell phone.
Actually when I'm driving my Model A I don't miss the radio. BTW, after my sump pump engine flush and putting the car back together two days ago, my 6 year old nephew saw my Model A for the first time and now he wants to go for a ride every day.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
mngreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That's interesting.
One of these days I'm going to have to leave my cave and buy a cell phone.
Actually when I'm driving my Model A I don't miss the radio. BTW, after my sump pump engine flush and putting the car back together two days ago, my 6 year old nephew saw my Model A for the first time and now he wants to go for a ride every day.
You know, I didn't miss the radio while driving my A or my T until very recently. Then my kid gave me her old (as in now obsolete and worthless) iPod for me to use when I go to the gym. Next thing I know I get iHome rechargeable speakers and download a boatload of vintage music of the teens, 20s and 30s! It really gets me going when out driving listening to period correct music; I now rarely go out driving without it!!
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_man_Al View Post
Bill ...

Do you mean you used resistance wire with an original cap meant for the flat spring plug wires, or a cap designed to take resistance wires ( round female connectors on the cap?)

My original post may have been misleading. I am using the original cap, but also have a new cap which would take the resistance wires.
B-Man,
I used them with the round '32 type cap & later with a Mallory single point distributor. Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MINERVA CC.jpg (97.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
B-Man,
I used them with the round '32 type cap & later with a Mallory single point distributor. Bill W.
When did Ford first use the round cap on the 4 cylinder?
I thought the 32 used the same cap as the Model A but with the pin notch 90* off.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
columbiA

the round style dist cap with std plug wires is strictly after market.I would never use a modern style cap as the original type is one of the things that makes the A & B engines unique.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
When did Ford first use the round cap on the 4 cylinder?
I thought the 32 used the same cap as the Model A but with the pin notch 90* off.
I don't know, Tom, I wuzn't around then! Some suppliers call them the "HIGH SPEED"??? cap. Bill W.