Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
woodrow

Default Convert to 12 volt or not?

We have a '30 Model A coupe that I've driven at night a time or two. The lights are pretty good with 6 volts, however I have been thinking about converting to 12 volt, adding a second tail light and turn signals. Seems that would make the car safer if I do get caught out at night. I'd sure welcome any thoughts on cost and suggestions on how to go about that. Thanks
woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Convert to 12 volt or not?

Turn signals and the second tail light will work fine on 6v.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
jrelliott

Have you gone to the higher wattage headlights? All the reflectors good, properly focused, good electrical connections both supply and grounds, new wiring? All of these areas bring the headlights and tail lights up to good levels. 6Volts will work good if all these areas are inspected and made like new. I can send you a list of all higher wattage bulbs for both 6V and 12V. BTW I switched back to 6V and am happy with the results as is just like Henry built it.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
jrelliott

My email is [email protected] Forgot to include with previous message. Get the generator working with Tom Wesenberg's electronic voltage regulator and will not have to run an alternator or 12V
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
machineman64

I agree Tom's electronic voltage regulator is trouble free, easy to install and very reasonably priced, a great improvement.
machineman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
29spcoupe

I would stay away from the Halogen light bulbs. I bought the new 6v Wagner Sealed beam halogen's for my 41 Packard. They were not supposed to draw any more current than the standard sealed beam. Burned up my generator. They draw an awful amount of current.
29spcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
I would stay away from the Halogen light bulbs. I bought the new 6v Wagner Sealed beam halogen's for my 41 Packard. They were not supposed to draw any more current than the standard sealed beam. Burned up my generator. They draw an awful amount of current.
I might have an NOS Packard generator for your car.

Good reflectors, proper aim and focus, and 6 volts works fine for me. My 28 has all original parts for the lights. In fact it was just a could years ago that the original Ford script taillight bulb burned out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
29spcoupe

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;1192190]I might have an NOS generator for your car.

Thanks, Tom, but I sold the Packard to buy my Special Coupe. The Packard was too new.
29spcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29spcoupe View Post
It depends on which halogen bulbs you get --the conversions that use "H4" type bulbs are not generator---or focus friendly

i have been using direct fit 35 watt bulbs for the last ---well close to 15 years, they use less than seal beams or 50cp regular bulbs ---i drive about 50% with lights on, have long battery life, and generator life, never charg battery except by driving ---I also have dual tailights, and fast enough cranking that I have been told I must have 12 volts

My friend just bought a 36 Packard that has had halogen bulbs with the original generator for the last 10 years---direct fit 35 watt bulbs
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

12V halogen headlights work very well with an alternator.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
barkleydave

I am new to Model A's this being my first year of ownership. I have learned so much from all the great folks on the Barn.

Rainmaker Ron did the electrical work on my CCPU. Since I like to tour I followed his lead and he did the 12 Volt Conversion: Halogen bulbs, Alternator, 2nd tail light and turn signals.

I have now toured 2,000 miles and for me the conversion works for me for a touring car. The majority of the cars on the tours I have been on have been converted to Halogen with turn signals and 2 tail lights. Our tours often require night driving and inclement weather.

Following cars and looking at cars behind me it is easy to tell who has the BRIGHT LIGHTS! I do not have the LED tail lights. They seem to be very popular and are very BRIGHT.

I kept the 6 volt starter but am installing a heavy duty Bendix this winter.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
2manycars

My roadster came with halogen lights in reflectors made for the halogen bulbs. They were very bright, but not focused at all. They were like big flood lights that lit up the whole countryside and blinded oncoming cars, but lit the road very poorly. I installed refinished original reflectors and 50/50 bulbs, and could see very much better, and the light was on the road, not in the eyes of oncoming cars, or lighting up the whole area.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

One would be in wonder how well the 6 volt set up is for headlights with properly shaped and finished reflectors along with properly focused bulbs just as 2manycars has stated.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
One would be in wonder how well the 6 volt set up is for headlights with properly shaped and finished reflectors along with properly focused bulbs just as 2manycars has stated.
I find that the lighting is not as good as a sealed beam light in a 50 ford, for instance, but it is really very good, and plenty good for the speed that the model A usually is driven on back roads. Also, my car is early, so has the early fluted lenses, and I would guess the twolite headlamps with the prizims in the lenses would be even better.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Kurt in NJ

I have compared my direct fit halogens to 6V seal beams, the halogens with original lenses and reflectors light up signs about 2 phone poles further, and are brighter at idle when the generator is not charging--- if the silver on my reflectors was better I would think the lights are the same as modern car
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The higher the voltage, the more chance of electrocuting yourself.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #17
burner31

I run a 6V, have two tail lights converted over to LED's, LED turn signals, sealed beam headlights, have no problem with them, I run my lights a lot when I drive during the day just so the dummy's out there can see me better when they look up from their phones.
I never worry about driving at night, it's just like the day...just darker.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
CarlG

Driving at "night" in the summer is just like driving in the daytime. And headlights are on just so that others can see me. (Nevermind it's the law when you leave town anyway).
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #19
Graham

I'm running LED headlights, a direct bulb replacement for 6v positive ground. From Classic Dynamo and Regulator Conversions. I was over at the Classic Show at the NEC in Birmingham last week and picked them up. Model BA15d 40/36w double dipper.
I'm very impressed with them, they focussed up well, and seem to throw a good very white beam. And the best part is they only use one amp vs. 8 for the old bulbs (the ammeter barely moves).
Just my experience, I'm not trying to promote them (they're not cheap). But certainly less work than changing to 12volts. I'm guessing more of these will be available soon.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #20
TerryH

I have a 6v alternator, quartz halogen bulbs, turn signals, dual LED taillights. I no reason to go to 12v unless you have special 12v needs. My bulbs are well focused and light up the road very well; high beams are too bright except on the open road.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote