Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
SteveB31

Default Re: Bert's

31 Model A- At Bert's, actual shipping charges means actual shipping charges.

If your $9.95 part was small, it would be a small shipping charge. If it was a large part, it would be a larger shipping charge.

We ship small things in USPS flat rate boxes when possible, since many Model A Parts are heavy. These boxes are $5,$11,$13, and $15. All states cost the same.

Some folks don't like the USPS, and ask us to send them via UPS. If that is what they want, then we do that. UPS just changes their rules last week, and now require EVERY box be measured AND weighed, and they charge the amount dictated by that data. They also charge more for rural delivery, residential delivery and they put a fuel charge on every package, to calculate the total.

Sales taxes are never charged on items shipped state to state unless the seller has a store in that state (which often happens with REI, Amazon, and other large companies.)

I will never, and have never picked on our competition, on a public forumn, because they are all good people. They just have a different philosophy regarding shipping costs to their customer. I am a frugal person, and we try to make ANY costs less to our customers, since many of them are frugal as well.

If anyone needs a shipping quote, just call or email us and we can give that (did that several times this morning).

You live in Pennsillvania, so it makes sense that you would by nearby. You have several great options near you. Most folks do not. We ship mostly to the west coast, midwest, and southwest since we are geographically closer to them. Saves on heavy shipping costs and time in transit.

We are a small business in business for 35 years, and we love Model A Fords. Our new catalog coming out next week, has all of our employees cars pictured on the cover, because we own them and drive them, and enjoy the thousands of people we have met in the last 35 years.

ALL of us , that are lucky enough to make a living in this field, are just regular guys, making a living and meeting great people in a great hobby that we love.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
modelastore.com
800-321-1931
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #22
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post

If your $9.95 part was small, it would be a small shipping charge. If it was a large part, it would be a larger shipping charge.

We ship small things in USPS flat rate boxes when possible, since many Model A Parts are heavy. These boxes are $5,$11,$13, and $15. All states cost the same.

Some folks don't like the USPS, and ask us to send them via UPS. If that is what they want, then we do that. UPS just changes their rules last week, and now require EVERY box be measured AND weighed, and they charge the amount dictated by that data. They also charge more for rural delivery, residential delivery and they put a fuel charge on every package, to calculate the total.

Sales taxes are never charged on items shipped state to state unless the seller has a store in that state (which often happens with REI, Amazon, and other large companies.)

I will never, and have never picked on our competition, on a public forumn, because they are all good people. They just have a different philosophy regarding shipping costs to their customer. I am a frugal person, and we try to make ANY costs less to our customers, since many of them are frugal as well.

If anyone needs a shipping quote, just call or email us and we can give that (did that several times this morning).

You live in Pennsillvania, so it makes sense that you would by nearby. You have several great options near you. Most folks do not. We ship mostly to the west coast, midwest, and southwest since we are geographically closer to them. Saves on heavy shipping costs and time in transit.

We are a small business in business for 35 years, and we love Model A Fords. Our new catalog coming out next week, has all of our employees cars pictured on the cover, because we own them and drive them, and enjoy the thousands of people we have met in the last 35 years.

ALL of us , that are lucky enough to make a living in this field, are just regular guys, making a living and meeting great people in a great hobby that we love.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
modelastore.com
800-321-1931
Not me Steve, I have an ex-wife in PA but me, no, I'm still in Illinois!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #23
wrndln

Steve,
Do you automatically ship new catalogs to people that got them in the past? I would like to get a new one when they are ready. Any new parts in the catalog?
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #24
machineman64

ordered parts from Berts Thursday afternoon and they were at my door this morning. I would say that was very good service and shipping was their actual cost, can't beat that.

John
machineman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #25
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Did you read what you posted, after reading what I posted? I understand what you posted pertains to you, not everyone here lives in or buys from PA. If PA has a PA tax collections agreement with certain out of state internet sellers, what you posted my apply but thanks to free enterprise, there is more than one on-line business selling the same item that is not with agreement with PA.....and it you want to report your on-line transactions on your state income tax returns, that's up to you.
Yes, you are correct in that suppliers are not required to collect sales tax unless they have a physical facility in the state, ie Amazon. It is less clear if the order comes from a "fulfillment" center located within the state borders,and I know many car suppliers utilize this, but I can't tell you which ones without a search. As for reporting your internet purchases to the state, you either need to accurately report what you have purchased,keep a record and report the tax due, OR use the state provided tax table which is an estimate based on your income. Either way, an amount has to be entered on a specific line on your tax return and the state does audit this line. I,frankly, don't want an entire audit because I undervalued a single line item because I failed to report. Free enterprise has nothing to do with it-everything you buy online has the tax. Maybe the supplier withholds the tax for you or maybe you'll pay it later, but one way or the other, it's part of the price of online business. Bad, but there it is.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #26
5window

Quote:

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
modelastore.com
800-321-1931
Steve, that was my post. I appreciate your taking the time to answer. And, I know Bert's has a great rep. I am, indeed, fortunate to live in a part of the country where we have multiple sources of supply-not only Mac's and Bratton's, but everyone coming to Hershey and Carlisle-huge shows with many offerings. And, I'm less than 10 miles from Bill's Model A Acres-a great source for parts and information.

I guess my only concern for you would be that I can't determine even an approximation of the shipping from your website. That dissuades me because I cannot determine if you're my best option or not-and, sometimes, given availability,price and your reputation for service, that might be my best option.

Thanks again and I hope you guys are around for a long time.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #27
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Yes, you are correct in that suppliers are not required to collect sales tax unless they have a physical facility in the state, ie Amazon. It is less clear if the order comes from a "fulfillment" center located within the state borders,and I know many car suppliers utilize this, but I can't tell you which ones without a search. As for reporting your internet purchases to the state, you either need to accurately report what you have purchased,keep a record and report the tax due, OR use the state provided tax table which is an estimate based on your income. Either way, an amount has to be entered on a specific line on your tax return and the state does audit this line. I,frankly, don't want an entire audit because I undervalued a single line item because I failed to report. Free enterprise has nothing to do with it-everything you buy online has the tax. Maybe the supplier withholds the tax for you or maybe you'll pay it later, but one way or the other, it's part of the price of online business. Bad, but there it is.
Not necessarily in my case, none of my income is subject to my state's income tax. It's all exempt by their Tax Code. I do file but because of the type of federal income I have, it's all exempt (Illinois is great in some ways). I don't have that many out of state on-line transactions of very high amounts and combining what those amounts are and the amount of in-state on-line transactions I do where state tax is collected, it wouldn't even come close to the minimum amount required to claim, therefore, I'd be robbing Chicago of funds to build the next presidential library with a refund. I don't long form, there's no need in it in my case, I try not to make life difficult more than as it already is. But....this will come to an end sooner or later for all of us someday I'm sure, it's just a matter of time. Speaking of time....how many days is it to Spring?????

Footnote: BTW, if I did long form and included my house taxes, interests on all my high dollar items, put that up against my meager retirement, the state would be paying me.

( I hope Larry sees the footnote and gives me a huge labor discount when he meets Sarah)

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers

Last edited by 31 Model A; 02-22-2015 at 03:05 PM.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
5window

Although the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania may be the best state for antique car guys-we have Hershey plus Carlisle plus the AACA Musuem and more, we are sadly driven by fools and idiots regarding the tax code. My wife's state employee retirement pension is federally untaxed, but taxed by the state. The Sales Tax issue has nothing to do with earned or unearned income, but solely on what you bought. The government doesn't care where you got the money to buy what you did, nor do they care where you bought it. If you buy it on line,they want their sales tax. Bleah. Ah, but when spring gets here, there's no better place to be.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #29
Fred K-OR

Guys, we don't need to know all of your opinions about everything under the sun. This was a post about Bert's and their good service.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #30
glenn in camino

Yep, they are good guys.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #31
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Guys, we don't need to know all of your opinions about everything under the sun. This was a post about Bert's and their good service.

Yes, you're right. Sorry. Post #1 was absolutely on target. Post #2 sent it in the wrong direction,at least for me anyways. We should have stopped right at praising Bert's.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #32
BlueSunoco

I look at it like, a few extra bucks for shipping to my door beats me DRIVING to get the part
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #33
larrys40

Quote:

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
modelastore.com
800-321-1931
Steve,
well said, that says it for you and many of us.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote