Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
FortyNiner

Default Harvey

To all of our Barners in Harvey's path: Be safe and stay as dry as possible. This looks like a nasty, slow moving beast - here's hoping for the best possible outcome.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Harvey

It's damn sure going to be a wet one. Hopefully we won't get tornadoes spawned by that storm like we've had in past hurricanes. I sure wouldn't want to be in Corpus Christy right now. We are too close here as it is.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
grumppyoldman

We've been lucky so far, under tornado watch now. Haven't had much rain. Lot's of thunder and lightening, not a lot of wind yet, just sitting it out. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
GB SISSON

Hold fast you gulfcoasters. We get about 35" a year here and they call us a really rainy area, but 40" in 3 days???? Is there a hill somewhere where you can park your cars?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
FortyNiner

I believe the hill closest to Houston is in San Antonio.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Newc

Wow; and we worry about earthquakes here in Oregon. I thought Harvey was a large invisible Rabbit? Got relatives in it's path. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Paul Bennett

Newc
I've lived in Oregon since 1958 and didn't know we were supposed to worry about earthqakes. We had snow once and volcanic ash once but that's about as bad as it gets here. Not experiencing quakes around Portland am I jinxing things?

When will the government fess up to seeding the clouds with aluminum and boron flakes and harrping the atmosphere with high frequency waves changing the climate then saying we caused it with our cars?
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
grumppyoldman

Mine's on a hill in my backyard, about 12 ft above sea level. May have to put jacks under it. Al
Old 08-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #9
flathead48

Let's all say a pray that the Good Lord will keep the people in Texas safe. God Bless
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #10
rotorwrench

There are plenty of folks that build on beaches, creeks, or river banks for the beautiful scenery. After the first flood, they rebuild but after the second one, they usually move on. Government flood insurance generally only covers on one flood then they require the house be raised above the flood level before they will cover it again.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
RalphM

My parents live just NW of Houston .
Hoping it doesn't get too bad there, but it looks like it's going to be very wet. My Dad built his house on an eight inch slab (above ground), but during the flood in 2005/2006, he had six inches of water come in. Luckily he built the house out of solid wood(no shitrock) as he calls it. And no nails, all boards screwed together. Made it easier to recover, I'm hoping and praying it's not too bad this time.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
mrtexas

Tornados took the roof off of 50 houses and damaged my daughter's high school about 5 miles from me in Sienna Plantation,TX 50 miles from the Gulf. We had 6+ inches of rain last night as recorded in the bucket in the back yard. Sounds like a lot but we get that often. 20+ inches would be a lot. 8 inches per day predicted for the next 3 days. Have been having 30mph winds the last 24 hours.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
grumppyoldman

We have lived here since 1963 and have gone through many storms. Ike really got to us, 4 ft. water in house. Lost almost everything,too many things to try and save. We rebuilt and will stay here till whenever. Thank's for your prayer's. Al
Old 08-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
We have lived here since 1963 and have gone through many storms. Ike really got to us, 4 ft. water in house. Lost almost everything,too many things to try and save. We rebuilt and will stay here till whenever. Thank's for your prayer's. Al
Hey Grump.........I've been wonderin' just where ON THE COAST you are...what town? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
grumppyoldman

San Leon, on Galveston Bay. Just saw a Woodie of some kind in Corpus, looked like ford tail light. Had solid wheels, but didn't show it long enough to tell much. Al
Old 08-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
San Leon, on Galveston Bay. Just saw a Woodie of some kind in Corpus, looked like ford tail light. Had solid wheels, but didn't show it long enough to tell much. Al
Wow, I can see why Ike got ya so badly. Be safe........kind'a looks like you should be OK this time! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #17
buzz4041

We just got report of our place in Corpus held up well with no signs of water damage. We will be heading back tommorow to see.
buzz4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #18
Bill

Saw a brief film clip last night on CNN from Sugarland TX. which is about 20 miles south and west of downtown Houston. The clip showed standing water at about 18". This is where MRTEXAS is from. Also noticed that he hasn't posted in almost tree days. I'm hoping his property is elevated if there is such a thing in that area. Perhaps the electricity has been cut to his subdivision. My prayers go out to all involved in this disaster. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #19
rotorwrench

One of my friends has a step daughter that lives in Corpus Christy. She and her boyfriend decided to go up to Houston to weather out the storm. They ended up getting flooded out in Houston so I imagine they went back to CC if they could get out at all. Turns out CC wasn't affected as bad as Rockport & the coastal regions farther north and of course anywhere near Houston due to the constant barrage of rain that's still falling.

My niece in League City has so far avoided flooding but they chose there location carefully after getting flooded out of both Galveston and Dickinson in the past. Knock heavily on wood! This had been a rough one for those Folks down that way.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #20
mrtexas

By some luck we were on the dry Sienna Plantation side of the bridge. The pictures are taken on the first wet Riverstone street. I ride my bike for exercise over this bridge 5 days a week. Water gone this morning. We arrived home on Saturday after leaving Monday. Never lost power at my house. This is in Sugar Land. Old house in Beaumont water up to front porch but not in house.