Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2018, 02:28 AM   #21
Rudolph

Default Re: Sometimes I get tired of it

Milk is good for un seizing an engine that had alloy pistons.
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:41 AM   #22
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
I'm surprised MMO Wasn't included.
I was thinking the same !
And my experience ; MMO much better than WD40.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
3.6rs

https://www.engineeringforchange.org...netrating-oil/
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
===============================================

Wow, these collage student tests (like the atf/acetone and this test) are
a big freegin joke.
A nut and bolt that has been in salt water for a week, could be takin
apart with your fingers.
They let these nuts and bolts sit in salt water for a week, boy that is
hardly a comparison for Real World Metal, that has rusted together for
years, and almost welded together. That is when you need a great
penetrating oil.
Manufacturers spend lots of time and money testing products that
have the BEST chance at penetrating Real Rust, and yes, some are
better than others, but I have not seen a product made from acetone
and mixed with anything that any manufacturer has put on the market.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #25
pooch

Most of these tests are guffaw.

But I can't figure why they do it if they are not selling something ?

Anyway on another point.

There was a bit of a craze a few years ago on these wrist bands with some miracle metal plug attached.

The scam was..... you outstretch your arms and turn and point your straight arm to the furthest point around.

THEN you put on the wrist band and do the same,

WOW, miraculously you can go another 10 degrees around.

It MUST work, that is $60 thankyou very much.

I did my own test.

In the morning, I put the band on first , then turned, then removed it .... and guess what... I could turn 10 degrees more without it.

It was not the wrist band doing anything, it was the pre stretching of the muscles on the first turn.

They scammed millions.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #26
Nathan_1929

As an engineer, I get tired of... anti-science personal anecdotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Of people who parrot or repeat things they hear without trying it or experimenting themselves.

I have read 100/s of times the virtue of 50/50 acetone/ATF mix as an alternative to branded name concoctions.

Well, I tried it, and IT DOES NOT WORK .

It evaporates almost instantly, then I tried less acetone and it did nothing, and then I tried straight ATF.

The straight ATF was the best , but still not as good as the lowly WD40.
Your sample size of a single failure doesn't discredit the rest of us who have used the process successfully.

The fact that your mixture is evaporating instantly leads me to suspect you're not actually experimenting with a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Wow, these collage student tests (like the atf/acetone and this test) are
a big freegin joke.

Manufacturers spend lots of time and money testing products
Is the Machinists Workshop Magazine a collEge paper?

Where is your test data that qualifies you to discredit the research?

How do you think the manufacturers test their products? Probably in a controlled, repeatable environment. What do you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Most of these tests are guffaw.
How do you figure?

Quote:
I did my own test.

In the morning, I put the band on first , then turned, then removed it .... and guess what... I could turn 10 degrees more without it.

It was not the wrist band doing anything, it was the pre stretching of the muscles on the first turn.

They scammed millions.
Including you, apparently. What point does this prove?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #27
Lanny

Nathan, I've been soaking a Truly Rusty bolt, that is on an old trailer hitch part,
for well over a year in ATF. At first I was mixing acetone with it for a while.
The acetone separates from the atf, after a short while, so I had to keep shaking
it up, and after doing that for a couple weeks, the acetone was evaporated, so I
added more acetone, and keep shaking it up to keep it mixed, after the acetone
evaporated again, I have just been letting the Rusty part with the Rusty bolt
soak in atf, and as I said, it's been soaking for well over a year. I take it out every
now and then, and even with good wrenches, the nut won't budge from the bolt.

It has proven to be a big waste of time.
If you get a rusty nut or bolt loose with atf/acetone mix, then it WASN'T very rusty.
And on a hot day, out in the open air, the acetone evaporates very quickly.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #28
Synchro909

Some people taking part in this thread (which is about people parroting things they have heard without the knowledge to back it up, not just Acetone/ATF mix) could become aggressive or abusive. Keep it nice, guys. Good to see it hasn't gone that way too much yet but.....
There is another oft repeated line out there about overheating. Many say that if the water circulates too quickly, it doesn't spend long enough in the radiator to cool down so the motor gets hot. Well, if it circulates that quickly, it won't be spending enough time in the engine to get hot either. Then there are those who say when water is discharged from the top tank that the pump is moving more than the core can handle so it must be plugged up. Think about that. The only place the pump can get water is from the bottom of the radiator. That water must have already gone through the core from the top tank, thus leaving exactly the same amount of space there for what ever the pump delivers. It is a closed system and only circulates what is in it. Water overflowing the top tank is therefore not caused by the pump being too strong. Grinding impeller vanes is would not be addressing the issue.
Some cars used to have a wire coil (like a spring) in the bottom radiator hose to stop it collapsing when the thermostat was still closed and the pump was trying to move more water than it could get. A restricted radiator would cause the same thing and that was a dead give away for a restricted radiator. The Model A has a solid bottom hose so don't have that diagnostic tool. Now, to get a conversation going, I'd like to outline a test I think would prove whether a radiator is restricted on a Model A. From experience, I know there will be some who already disagree with what I have said but I hold the above to be true.
I haven't had the need to use this test but it all makes sense to me. I'd like to hear (respectfully) what others think of this:
Remove the thermostat if you have one and refill the cooling system. Attach a tube to the drain cock in the bottom hose and submerge the other end in a container of water on the floor under the car. Start the engine and run it at medium revs. Open the drain cock. If the core is blocked, the pump will be trying to move more water than the core can provide so it will suck water from the container on the floor. If the level drops quickly, you have a restricted radiator. The quicker it drops, the worse the restriction. A slow drop might be observed even if the radiator is new so that wouldn't cause for a lot of concern. If the level in the container on the floor rises, your radiator is super good. Give yourself a smiley stamp.

Last edited by Synchro909; 03-31-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #29
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Nathan, I've been soaking a Truly Rusty bolt, that is on an old trailer hitch part,
for well over a year in ATF. At first I was mixing acetone with it for a while.
The acetone separates from the atf, after a short while, so I had to keep shaking
it up, and after doing that for a couple weeks, the acetone was evaporated, so I
added more acetone, and keep shaking it up to keep it mixed, after the acetone
evaporated again, I have just been letting the Rusty part with the Rusty bolt
soak in atf, and as I said, it's been soaking for well over a year. I take it out every
now and then, and even with good wrenches, the nut won't budge from the bolt.

It has proven to be a big waste of time.
If you get a rusty nut or bolt loose with atf/acetone mix, then it WASN'T very rusty.
And on a hot day, out in the open air, the acetone evaporates very quickly.

This my take on the magic mix.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #30

Good discussion. I haven’t had an issue with rusty bolts in years due to starting to use impact drivers. I have an occasional problem with cam out and if it’s really bad I’ll use an easy out. I don’t even use penetrating lubricants anymore.
28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #31
redmodelt

WD-40 does make a penetrating oil for what it's worth.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #32
katy

FWIW, diesel fuel makes a good penetrating oil.

FWIW, I read once, somewhere, that when steel turns to rust it expands to 27 times its original size. No wonder it's so hard to get rusted parts apart.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

Been using weasel piss professionally for forty years,this is the best Ive seen..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #34
100IH

I liked the plot farmers with the little feet.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #35
pbishop

Adding 'heat' to rusted nuts after using 'concoctions' and then letting sit for a spell greatly improves results (expansion factor).
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #36
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Some people taking part in this thread (which is about people parroting things they have heard without the knowledge to back it up, not just Acetone/ATF mix) could become aggressive or abusive. Keep it nice, guys. Good to see it hasn't gone that way too much yet but.....
There is another oft repeated line out there about overheating. Many say that if the water circulates too quickly, it doesn't spend long enough in the radiator to cool down so the motor gets hot. Well, if it circulates that quickly, it won't be spending enough time in the engine to get hot either. Then there are those who say when water is discharged from the top tank that the pump is moving more than the core can handle so it must be plugged up. Think about that. The only place the pump can get water is from the bottom of the radiator. That water must have already gone through the core from the top tank, thus leaving exactly the same amount of space there for what ever the pump delivers. It is a closed system and only circulates what is in it. Water overflowing the top tank is therefore not caused by the pump being too strong. Grinding impeller vanes is would not be addressing the issue.
Some cars used to have a wire coil (like a spring) in the bottom radiator hose to stop it collapsing when the thermostat was still closed and the pump was trying to move more water than it could get. A restricted radiator would cause the same thing and that was a dead give away for a restricted radiator. The Model A has a solid bottom hose so don't have that diagnostic tool. Now, to get a conversation going, I'd like to outline a test I think would prove whether a radiator is restricted on a Model A. From experience, I know there will be some who already disagree with what I have said but I hold the above to be true.
I haven't had the need to use this test but it all makes sense to me. I'd like to hear (respectfully) what others think of this:
Remove the thermostat if you have one and refill the cooling system. Attach a tube to the drain cock in the bottom hose and submerge the other end in a container of water on the floor under the car. Start the engine and run it at medium revs. Open the drain cock. If the core is blocked, the pump will be trying to move more water than the core can provide so it will suck water from the container on the floor. If the level drops quickly, you have a restricted radiator. The quicker it drops, the worse the restriction. A slow drop might be observed even if the radiator is new so that wouldn't cause for a lot of concern. If the level in the container on the floor rises, your radiator is super good. Give yourself a smiley stamp.

I’ve thought the same thing. I have a rebuilt engine in my test stand now , and was thinking of a way to stop flow thru the lower hose, to see if the radiator would then overflow as the block was emptied. However your petcock idea is an interesting way to prove the same thing!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 AM   #37
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I’ve thought the same thing. I have a rebuilt engine in my test stand now , and was thinking of a way to stop flow thru the lower hose, to see if the radiator would then overflow as the block was emptied. However your petcock idea is an interesting way to prove the same thing!
Chuck, If you were to block off the bottom hose, the block would not empty because there is nothing able to replace the water in there. All that would happen is the pump would turn and stir the water near the impeller and nothing would come out the top. The impeller might even cause cavitation.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Because the overflow is open to the atmosphere, the system isn't a truly closed system. My car and many others have proved that when rust flakes or grease blocks the tops of the radiator tubes, the water pump can, and will, fill the top tank and overflow out the overflow tube. Then things really start cooking!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #39
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Because the overflow is open to the atmosphere, the system isn't a truly closed system. My car and many others have proved that when rust flakes or grease blocks the tops of the radiator tubes, the water pump can, and will, fill the top tank and overflow out the overflow tube. Then things really start cooking!
So what is in the rest of the cooling system that allows water to flow out of it faster than it flows in? Air? Where did it come from? If the top tank is so full it overflows then air can't get by the water to displace water in the radiator. Only if you have a leak. Water or antifreeze can't expand under vacuum... However, as soon as some of the water/coolant flashes to steam you instantly get an expansion of 1700 times! Now THAT is trouble. A very small amount of water turning to steam will quickly displace a LOT of water.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #40
Growley bear

50/50 mix MMO/Acetone or ATF ?? The acetone acts as a surfactant and through capillary action carries the lubricant into the troubled area.
I have had much better luck with a little heat followed by a spritz if water. Not red hot or even close, just warm enough to cause the parts to expand and the water contracts and is drawn in. This some times needs to be repeated numerous times. The water also acts as a temporary lubricant and also dissolves the rust/corrosion. What better product to free up rusted nuts/bolts than the product that made it? A little heat, a little water, a lot of patience.
Maybe a surfactant added to the water would be an aid?
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote