Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
rer_239

Default king pin fit

started to reassemble the front spindle and the book says put the king pin thru the spindle to see if there is play. didn't seem to be any. put the king pin thru the spindle and the axle and there seemed to be a lot of play. took it back out and measured the king pin. it looked like .81. is there a bushing that goes into the axle?
thanks
Dick
rer_239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
rocket1

Default Re: king pin fit

King pin has to be a snug fit into the axle,no bushings.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
TerryO

Did you tighten the tapered bolts that wedge the spindle bolts in the axle?

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Bob Bidonde

Pins should be 0.812" OD. The bushing reamer is 0.814" OD. Allowing for some wear of the reamer, I would expect a reamed set of bushings would be 0.813" to 0.815" ID.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

The king pin lock bolt affects the height of the pin relative to the axle. Most importantly, the lock bolt should be driven-in just enough to assure that there is contact between the axle, roller bearing and king pin. Shims are typically necessary to assure this contact on a used axle.

Contact between the axle, bearing and king pin establishes the vertical load path between the spindles and axle. Any clearance between these parts makes the lock bolt carry the vertical loads, and it was not designed to do so. When the lock bolt is highly loaded, the tapered hole in the axle yields out-of-round, and so does the lock becomes indented.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
rer_239

if there is play when the king pin is inserted thru the axle (but not the spindle) do i need a different axle? the locking bolt is not being used yet.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer_239 View Post
if there is play when the king pin is inserted thru the axle .....
. Ha how timely is this thread, as I have just spent the day replacing the King pins on a friends phaeton. YES, the king pin is most unlikely to be a totally "rock-free " fit in the axle eye of the cross member . It is the the lock bolt tightening that securely fixes the king pin onto the cross member.

Last edited by johnbuckley; 12-14-2018 at 05:58 AM.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
Gold Digger

If you got slop in the axle hole itself you got problems. With the hole in the axle clean and the spindle bolt clean you should have a slip fit or maybe even a peck through fit. You may be able to take up a small amount of slop by driving in and tightening the lock bolt but not much.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
Synchro909

If the locking pin (cotter pin) has been over tightened at some time, the hole in the axle (eye) becomes oval shaped and the king pin will rock in it giving the same "wobbly wheel" as worn bushes or loose wheel bearings.
I would check to see whether the free play when you put the king pin through the axle is the same in the forward/reverse direction as it is in the left/right direction. If it is, the hole is round and so long as there is not too much play, you should be OK. If not, the eye will need to be brought back to round and for that, you will need the services of someone who can do it. I've just had 2 axles repaired for this very problen. One was badly bent beforehand also. All spot on now!
Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If the locking pin (cotter pin) has been over tightened at some time, the hole in the axle (eye) becomes oval shaped and the king pin will rock in it giving the same "wobbly wheel" as worn bushes or loose wheel bearings.
I would check to see whether the free play when you put the king pin through the axle is the same in the forward/reverse direction as it is in the left/right direction. If it is, the hole is round and so long as there is not too much play, you should be OK. If not, the eye will need to be brought back to round and for that, you will need the services of someone who can do it. I've just had 2 axles repaired for this very problen. One was badly bent beforehand also. All spot on now!

Actually synchro it is the opposite. If the bolt was loose the pins can be loose and of course just the wear and tear of road hits on tire, wheels, spindles can cause wear over years and time.
If the pun does not fit the axle well with he lick bolt good and snug, yes the hole may need to be revised or another suitable axle used .
The spindles fit best if they are honed as opposed to a reamer. Find a local machine shop if there is one or possibly alical a member who has that cabability.

I have done hundreds so know the process well.
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Keith True

There is supposed to be zero play between the axle and kingpin.If it rocks,it ain't right.Now,what you can and can't get away with is another story,but that would have to come from somebody in the know that could put their hands and eyes on it.Not something that can be determined over the computer.If the lock bolt hole is tapered,you have another problem.Those are straight through,no taper unless they are screwed up.There is no front or rear to the axle.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Actually synchro it is the opposite. If the bolt was loose the pins can be loose and of course just the wear and tear of road hits on tire, wheels, spindles can cause wear over years and time.
If the pun does not fit the axle well with he lick bolt good and snug, yes the hole may need to be revised or another suitable axle used .
The spindles fit best if they are honed as opposed to a reamer. Find a local machine shop if there is one or possibly alical a member who has that cabability.

I have done hundreds so know the process well.
Larry
My turn to differ from you!
Honing a hole does nothing to make it round. If the hole is (say) oval to start with, honing will leave it oval. A reamer will make it round. Granted, a hone is likely to leave a better finish. I ream mine to just a bit tight, then burnish them (best finish). The important thing is to not leave them too tight. If they are tight, the car will be impossible to control.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
quickchange

If the k/pin is loose in axel eye can be fixed ,PUT the KING PIN in the axel, run a vertical run with arc welder down outside of the eye , MAKE sure the pin is in otherwise will shrink to far & you won,t get a pin back in .how do I know , 1st attempt many years ago taught me , Just like removing a tight bearing cup , shrink it , Its hot in NZ ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
rer_239

Will I be able to remove the King pin and install spindle
Old 12-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #15
quickchange

yes no problem & will be tight due to the shrinkage , just clean up the weld which is hidden anyway buy the stub & paint , Had to do a number over the years , 26c here,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #16
Dennis Pereira

I did this repair a few years ago Spindle bolts were frozen to the axle . Heat / PB Blaster different sized hammers bottle jacks new parts and a couple trips the machine shop . Seems to work nicely on the jack stands .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8182959.jpg (59.2 KB, 72 views)