Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

I'm sure we have nearly all been asked "Did you buy it new?" What other gems have come your way?
I was recently complimented on my car but the person followed up with "But it's all replica, of course." When I asked why he thought that, he said that a car couldn't survive that long.
A young guy asked last year "How much power does it have?" I told him 40 horsepower and while the words were still in the air, realised I'd better put that in terms he would understand. "30 Kilowatts", I said. His jaw dropped - "Why so little?" His modern put out over 150 KW and he couldn't undrstand how a car with only 30 could drag itself along. Just then, another member of the public said he had seen me on the road as I came to the display. "You were sitting on 90 down the freeway", he said. The first guy left very troubled.
Then there are the reminiscences from more senior people.
What are your stories?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

I had a model A just like that!! But a different color!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
SSsssteamer

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

That's a kit car, isn't it?
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
DKnapp

This little old lady at the nursing home looked at the rumble seat and said "You wouldn't believe what you can do in a rumble seat!"
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnapp View Post
This little old lady at the nursing home looked at the rumble seat and said "You wouldn't believe what you can do in a rumble seat!"
As long as she doesn't want to demonstrate it to you
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
That's a kit car, isn't it?
Yeah, I was asked if it was a kit!

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
abachman3

Not only do they say they had one just like it but a different color, but add it had a rumble seat. Mine is a Tudor!
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
I had a model A just like that!! But a different color!
"We had one just like that, only it was blue. It was a dodge."
Old 12-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
31 Woody

I went to the grocery store a few years back in the Woody. Just as I got out and started in towards to store, a girl of about 25 was walking out and said “Wow, neat car. Where did you get it?” Before I could reply she then said “did you rent it?” As I am naturally rather sarcastic, I said “Oh yes, I picked it up at Avis. But you can only get them from the airport locations”. She was looked a bit perplexed by my answer for some reason.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
31a

Is that a real car? Had several combacks but decided it was not worth it
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
ursus

Is that a real gangster car?
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #12
Pete

"Will this car really go that fast?" (after looking at the SCTA timing tag on the dash)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #13
Karl

Shouldn't it be painted black!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 AM   #14
RandyinUtah

I have been asked several times where do you buy tires for a car like this.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #15
Synchro909

As we drove out of our driveway to commence a drive of 1,100 miles to a National Rally, we crossed p[aths with a neighour. When we told her what we were doing, she said "You're going where in that?"
Seems the public are the same everywhere.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:19 AM   #16
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
It has been for several years.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
apbright

"Is that a Rolls Royce?"
"What does that car go for - $150,000?"
"I assume you have to machine all of your own parts for that, don't you?"
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #18
George Miller

I had a 1929 Roadster that was all fiber glass. These to guys came walking up and were complaining about my 15 inch wheels. I said how about the chev v8 and power glide transmission. Then I said it is all fiber glass body. They left.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #19
marty in Ohio

I'm usually asked "how much is it worth?" My response is "are you going to make an offer?" They ask if it runs on gas. I tell them "no, straight whiskey."
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #20
Chuck Kuntz

I took my 1931 Glaser to a local show and was told they did not allow fiberglass cars to be entered.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #21
77Birdman

Great stories, at least people are talking about them good, bad or indifferent. Not an A, but I had a 1913 Rudge motorcycle. Funny how I got most of the same comments. A lot of people ask how fast will it go? My go to answer is not how fast it will go, but how well will it stop!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
arnhemmer

A fellow in a brand new top of the line Chevy pick up pulled up at the gas pump, took one look at my 1930 Tudor and said that it would outlast his pick up. I had to remind him that it already has.
arnhemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #23
eagle

I have a 29 Fordor. The Fordors had the smooth cowl in 29, where the Tudors and such didn't. I've had several people just INSIST that my Fordor is a 30-31 because of the cowl. One guy stopped me as I was IN a parade to inform me that I had the wrong year on the parade placcard. Got angry and told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to give him an answer. And then the most frequent is the old lady that looks at the car admiringly, then says "My dad had a car just exactly like this one...except it was a Chevy"!
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #24
DHZIEMAN

Had a fellow, pull in next to me at the grocery store, and he wanted to drive my 1930! I politely declined, and waited for him to go into the store!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #25
rosenkranswa

Where's the radio? Where's the Air Conditioner? and the best one from one of my young students, you can't afford anything newer?

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
GPierce

“Weren’t all of them originally black”?
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
amodel25

I was filling up my '31 Town Sedan with gas one day and an older gentleman came up to the car, looking it over inside and out, front to back. Throughout the inspection, he never said a word. Finally, he turned to me and said "the first piece of a** I ever got was in the back seat of a 4 door Model A Ford and I'll never forget it". With that, he turned and walked away never saying another word.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #28
ronn

somebody on this site wtd to buy my huckster...........

told me it looked like a clown car because the wheels were bright blue.

refused to sell it to him. I was offended. LOL
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #29
ryanheacox

My favorite is at a show when someone looks at the car and reads the sign (spells out exactly what the car is), turns to someone else and says "That's a Model T Ford"
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #30
heneste

I had a car pull up beside me at a stoplight when the young lady inside asked if it was an automatic.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #31
TPR1930

Is that the car they used in "The Great Gatsby" movie?
TPR1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #32
Ernie Vitucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
That Flatbed Truck is still parked on a side street in Winslow, Arizona, just around the corner from the La Posada Hotel! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #33
JOHN CT

As I’m fueling it up at the gas station. The famous question to me is. Does it run on gas? Then the next question is that the gas tank? You gotta laugh cuz I do then I explain things about the A. I also ask them if they want to sit in it. People do and it just makes their day. You never know maybe they just might buy one some day.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #34
Curtis in MA

I one time let a guy get in and try to start it, he didn't have a clue.
I had let my father-in-law start it. He had had a roadster. Did everything from memory and correctly!
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #35
Synchro909

I was filling up one day at a staion not far from a motor race track. Two guys with motor cycles on trailers were also getting fuel. It was clear they were going to the race track. I asked one of them "How much power?" as I nodded towards the bikes. "180 Horsepower" was the answer. I laughed and pointed to the Model A and said "40!". He turned to his mate and said "Hey, Dave - 40 Horsepower!" and laughed, I said "It's been 40 HP for 90 years - yours will only be 180 till the end of the next race." He said"With any luck". We laughed and left as friends.
I wonder if he finished the next race.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #36
barry022

Can you still get parts for it?
barry022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #37
harleynut

Hi Arnold, Yep, I got that question. Much be more common than I thought. I had an elderly lady at a car cruise ask me if I was the original owner. She was looking at my 2door 1928 model A at the time. I told her I'm old but not that old. I had friends with me at the time, they all got a kick out of that.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #38
marty in Ohio

Lots of people see my '30 town sedan and say that's a Bonnie and Clyde car. I usually explain that if they drove a Model A they would have been caught way before they were. Clyde liked to steal the flat head V8 to outrun the law. My "A" wouldn't have gotten them very far.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #39
Patrick L.

Yep, had many comments over the years, most good. One fella said, like others, his family had a Model T just like it. He got mad and argumentative insisting it was a T.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #40
russcochiolo

"Why do so many of these cars have birds in front?" Gives me an opening.
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #41
holdover

I have four that I usually drive, '29 CCPU, '29 Coupe, 31 AA LWB and a '31 Tudor. Most of the comments are positive such as, what year, how fast can it go, is it original, can you get parts, is it for sale, where can I find one, how many horsepower, did they have, AWD, AC? (which I answer, sure 3-45..two windows down and front tilted and 45MPH) how many MPG does it get, they sure are small inside, Some of the negative are why would you own one, should have a slow moving vehicle sign on the back, I'll give you $50.00 for it. Wouldn't you like to have a real classic like a '57 Chevy?
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #42
Gil Sissons

Several years ago we were touring with The Model A Touring Club on a tour
from Reno to Yellowstone. When we were at a roadside pullout near
Jackson Hole that had a fantastic view of the Tetons a tour bus pulled in
loaded with visitors from Japan. They could have cared less about the
beautiful Tetons. They very politely asked.... may I have my picture taken
with your beautiful car. Of course the answer was yes. My friend with the
31 Roadster opened the floodgates when he told the lady she could sit
behind the steering wheel. You can guess what happened next!
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #43
jboggess

Sitting at a red light next to this pick up truck, he rolls down his window and asks is that a joke.. then he drove off.

Another time i was on a tour, a few of us were on the side of the road helping a fellow with his car, while helping a newer car pulled up but didnt pull over and the guy rudely said our cars shouldnt be on the road if our old cars break down all the time.. The one guy in our group started to tell him off, but the guy sped off. Rude people out there.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #44
vern hodgson

Filling up at a gas station when an old guy backed up to my front fender grabbed hold as he lifted up on the fender said “this is how we used to change a flat!!??
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #45
woofa.express

There was a meet of earlier Ford Fairlanes in our town of Tocumwal. They looked great, all lined up along the river foreshore. I turned to a local farmer by the name of Rob and asked which one he liked best. He pointed to a maroon Model A parked at the adjacent roadside kerb and said "that one". It did my ego well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofa express - Copy.jpg (93.6 KB, 18 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #46
Synchro909

Lots of youngsters these days have never used a window winder. When they spot the "other handle" on the door, they ask what it is for. Once I show them, they laugh like mad. They only know electric windows.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #47
Bjerg_Menneskene

The one that ticks me off is “it would be better with a 350 crate engine in it”. I have often wanted to say “your wife would look better if she didn’t have to drag an ugly guy around with her”. I have never said it but it is oh so tempting.
Bjerg_Menneskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #48
shark 81

getting gas one day in my 30 a guy walks up and takes a picture, says man that is cool, what is it ? so I reply thank you, it is a 1930 Model A ford . He takes another picture then asks who makes it ?
shark 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #49
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjerg_Menneskene View Post
The one that ticks me off is “it would be better with a 350 crate engine in it”. I have often wanted to say “your wife would look better if she didn’t have to drag an ugly guy around with her”. I have never said it but it is oh so tempting.

don't be shy. Say what's on your mind. But don't be offensive, you must smile as these words come out of your mouth.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #50
redmodelt

As a Model T driver, get the same questions. Esp the parts, tires and did you drive it here (No I pushed it ).
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #51
dumb person

Newly restored, new rego' plates only 15 minutes ago "I'll give you $50 for the engine".

Yup i really want to have a 2 ton paperweight with no engine when i just bought a years rego' for it. Kill yourself.

"I bought one of these for $35 pounds, and a shilling back in 1961, it was better than this. You should sell it to me for $50"
Yup, $2,000 for tires and i'll sell them to you for $50 and include a free car.. Totally worth it. Killyourself.

"Ugh. The paints got runs in it & one upholstery line is slightly crooked, scrap it. Look, I'll do you a favour & scrap it for you".
Hopefully you get what you give soon.

"I'll swap you a box of scodys for it next payday".
Why people like you exist is a puzzle. Please die at the earliest opportunity. I thought i was bottom feeder scum but then i met other people.

So sick of that car. But i love model A's, just not the fecealweathersystem that goes with it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #52
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
As a Model T driver, get the same questions. Esp the parts, tires and did you drive it here (No I pushed it ).
With my Model A Ford, I get that a lot. "Did you drive it here". More questions I get when I am at car shows is: "Does it run?" "How much is it worth?" "What year is it, about a 1940?"
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #53
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Newly restored, new rego' plates only 15 minutes ago "I'll give you $50 for the engine".

Yup i really want to have a 2 ton paperweight with no engine when i just bought a years rego' for it. Kill yourself.

"I bought one of these for $35 pounds, and a shilling back in 1961, it was better than this. You should sell it to me for $50"
Yup, $2,000 for tires and i'll sell them to you for $50 and include a free car.. Totally worth it. Killyourself.

"Ugh. The paints got runs in it & one upholstery line is slightly crooked, scrap it. Look, I'll do you a favour & scrap it for you".

Why people like you exist is a puzzle. Please die at the earliest opportunity. I thought i was bottom feeder scum but then i met other people.

So sick of that car. But i love model A's, just not the fecealweathersystem that goes with it.
Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think.
I'm sure we have all had someone try to poor a bucket of crap on our cars (figurativley) but we know better.
When I recently had a young bloke doing it, I asked him what he thought his car would be like in 90 years time. I said that by then it would probably have come back as a microwave oven, a refrigerator and a few razor blades - maybe even a KIA. The laughter of his mates made my heart sing. GOTCHYA!
Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #54
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post

don't be shy. Say what's on your mind. But don't be offensive, so smile as these words come out of your mouth.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #55
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjerg_Menneskene View Post
I get the same feeling when someone looks at mine and says "why do you have e Chevy motor in a Ford car?". One of the reasons I don't do car shows. I don't care what anyone else thinks and I don't want to hear what anyone else thinks. They are MINE and they will be the way I want them. I don't like fenderless cars but I would NEVER suggest to someone with a fenderless car that they should put fenders on it. If he wanted them, he would have them on it. To be fair to this thread, I have not taken my original "A" out yet other than a few test runs up the road. I have driven my modified "A"s though and other than the "chevy motor in a Ford car" thing, on a hotrod tour a couple years ago with my '31 pickup, I had about 8-9 out of 10 people say "nice car". I would reply, "Thanks....it's a truck" so when we got home i went to the DMV and got a new plate to help people out.
[IMG][/IMG]
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #56
Mike Peters

How fast? What year? Gas mileage? Tire availability? How much is it worth? etc. People assume our cars are much more valuable than they really are. I try to set them straight and urge them to buy one. I tell them that they will get more bang for their buck with a Model A than any other antique car.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:16 AM   #57
RUNNERBUN

From the mouth of a 8 year old child. Heh Mister, is this an olden days car? I reply yes it is. He then asked do you have a proper car? I reply, yes I do have a proper car. Then with a puzzled look on his face, asks, then why do you drive this old thing.
Maybe when he is older he will understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puzzled.jpg (5.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #58
Floats

I have often been asked, ‘how old is it?’ and then ‘did you buy it new?”
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #59
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
did you drive it here?
I've told people that, "Yes, it's too far to push it."
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #60
EJ

Here in the UK I must have been asked most of these things, I was asked why my steering wheel was on the wrong side, one day when I was working my boss asked me why are you driving around in that old thing, I said to him I can't afford a new car car on the money you are paying me.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #61
1928Mik

What's that, a Rolls Royce? How much is it worth? It has a planetary transmission, right?

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #62
Gold Digger

A few years back I drove my restored 30 roadster pickup to the rest home my mother was in and when I walked in all the nurses asked if that was my new pickup I was driving. I went along with them and said yes. My mother said I want to go see it so I pushed her out there to the parking lot in a wheel chair. She said where's it at. I said right in front of you. She said I wouldn't have that old thing.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #63
burner31

Not a comment or a question, but more of a reaction:
I have the habit of when someone comes up to my car, in say a store parking lot to talk about it, I will say that it still has the original black and white rear veiw mirror in it, because as everyone knows, colored mirrors did not come out until the early/mid 50's.
When they silently nod in agreement it's hard for me to keep a straight face, would love to see their reaction when they learn the bitter truth.
It may be mean...but it sure is fun.
Note: Have more people nod in agreement then call me out on that basic bit of BS
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7bf20e311716c9f6f50cd81baf7a91e6_400x400.jpeg (18.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg download.jpg (7.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg images (43).jpg (6.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (4.2 KB, 2 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #64
sjessen

After looking at my '30 coupe, a lady said they had a '59 Chev just like it...
Old 12-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #65
lee in bend

Seems like every time I go out with one of the cars someone will ask, "where's the car show"? I tell them, "just because it's old doesn't mean it has to go to a show. We just drive them...".
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
lee in bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #66
Synchro909

My reply to "Did you buy it new?"
Yes and there's only 2 payments to go!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #67
freak

Not my A but my 69 F250... Drove it through college. Rough looking truck. I always parked it at one of the girls dorms. One day I came out to it to find a note that said... "Why don't you park this where it belongs... At the junk yard!". I laughed so hard! Wish I kept the note to frame!
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #68
darrylkmc

Default What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

I pulled up to one of these rest stops along they way, there were several folks standing around, obviously tourists, a man walked over to me and said, Did anybody survive the wreck.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180507_162227345.jpg (380.3 KB, 64 views)
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #69
KansasRick

I just arrived at a car show one Saturday and opened the hood. While setting things up a fellow walks by and asked if I drove it here then put his hand on the exhaust manifold. I didn’t need to answer. As he walked off shaking his hand in the air, I heard him mumbling “I guess so....”
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #70
braol

1) When are you going to make it into a hotrod?
2) Is it for sale?
3) Where's the rumble seat? (It's a Tudor.)
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #71
noyo55

Back in 1966 I was sitting in my 30 coupe in an A&W ( remember them ) when this guy comes over and asks if it has a rumble seat. I got out and opened it to show him. He looked inside and said" I lost my Virginity in one. He was about 6'6" tall. I felt like telling him it did not count if you were alone!
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #72
Fordfan29

I took my 29 Tudor to my grandson's 1st grade class. 16 kids will fit in that car! Then one by one I had each kid sit in the driver's seat & "drive" as I explained he gas gauge and other details. The most asked question was what this thing was (the window crank handle). They only knew how to push a switch to raise & lower the windows.

That is an advantage of owning a "used" car. Everyone was smiling, before, during & after the visit.
Fordfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #73
Bob/AZ

My grandkids wondered how to get the windows down (no electric switch). The most common one for me is "do you have to use a crank to start it?" And, of course, "you can have any color you want as long as it is black".
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #74
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/AZ View Post
My grandkids wondered how to get the windows down (no electric switch). The most common one for me is "do you have to use a crank to start it?" And, of course, "you can have any color you want as long as it is black".
I think we have all had the "so long as it's black" comment. People look at me like I have two heads when I explain that was for the Model T - This is a Model A. I've just about given up explaining that the black thing was only in the USA, not here. Ts were available in about half a dozen colours.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #75
Chuck Sea/Tac

I have the original yellow brake lights. A fellow pulls up beside me at a traffic light and says “your back up lights come on when you’re stopping”
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #76
JOHN CT

People ask what year Is It? I just look them in the eye and tell them it’s 2018.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #77
ryanheacox

I had a lady pull up beside me and tell me I had a brake light out. Pulled over and had my co-pilot hit the brakes, no problem. My only thought was that she only saw the one light and didn't realize the other fender has NO brake light or it was the most deadpan joke delivery I've ever heard.

Reminds me of a story I heard Jay Leno tell. He was out in his Morgan 3-wheeler and a guy pulled up and said he lost a wheel. He laughed and went home.... turns out his spare fell off the back
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #78
RB_Nielsen

“Oh I see you found a nice one.”
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #79
CHuDWah

One day back in the 70s, my wife and I cruised our CCPU to the local ice cream stand. As we were leaving, a couple pulled in with their daughter who looked to be about 5 or 6. The little girl pointed at the truck and excitedly shouted, "Look, mom, it's the Waltons!"
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:45 AM   #80
junk yard kid

On a hood less car a little girl said “dad look at the air plane car”
junk yard kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #81
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
Sitting at a red light next to this pick up truck, he rolls down his window and asks is that a joke.. then he drove off.

Another time i was on a tour, a few of us were on the side of the road helping a fellow with his car, while helping a newer car pulled up but didnt pull over and the guy rudely said our cars shouldnt be on the road if our old cars break down all the time.. The one guy in our group started to tell him off, but the guy sped off. Rude people out there.
Not a comment or question about my car, but another instance of how rude people can be.
Last summer while out cruising around my U-joint disintegrated leaving me stranded on a curvy back road. The car came to rest just around a blind corner. Although I was off the road as much as the shoulder allowed it was visible to drivers coming around the corner. While waiting for my rescue, luckily a good samaritan happened along and offered the use of his orange triangular traffic warning signs. I set one on the very edge of the road around the corner to alert drivers of the road hazard ahead. Within 15 minutes I heard a collision of sorts around the corner. When I investigated I met up with a young out-of-state driver who had run over the orange triangle. He proceeded to yell and curse at me for leaving obstacles in the road where some one could have an accident! He then sped off burning his tires and nearly losing control of his car on the narrow road. I replaced the 3 borrowed signs with a brand new set and kept the remaining two which I now keep in the car.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #82
klawockvet

I have the A in my avitar, as well as a 40 and 47 tudor. I drive them all on a regular basis. Being in my mid seventies what surprises me most is that by far the most common response is a complete lack of notice of them by the younger generation, especially when in southern California. I get a lot of smiles and thumbs up but its almost always from the older generation. I try to be polite and answer questions from those who show an interest, hoping to spike some interest in the hobby. The dumb questions and smart alec comments are often just a lame attempt to start a legitimate conversation.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #83
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
I get a lot of smiles and thumbs up but its almost always from the older generation.
Something that I have noticed is that, per capita, I get more waves and thumbs up from bikers and truckers than modern 4 wheelers.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #84
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Something that I have noticed is that, per capita, I get more waves and thumbs up from bikers and truckers than modern 4 wheelers.
I've noticed the same, especially the bikers. Asians usually don't even notice the car but sometimes do all sorts of crazy things to get another look.
I often see the passenger in a car travelling along side me on the freeway gazing at the front wheel of my A. I think they are transfixed by the appearent lack of support for the car. The wheel spinning that fast makes it look like there are no spokes.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #85
woofa.express

good one Mr Amazing. That's the A name for Mr Synchro. yes the kids all enjoy seeing these old and good looking cars.

Some years back myself and 2 friends were driving out of our small town, each of us having donned a Mexican hat with fancy trimmings. Driving in my Tourer (Phaeton). 3 sort of elderly ladies passed us who were driving an up market and expensive Landrover Discovery. As they drew along side they all turned their heads and took a glance at the three of us.
Immediately they broke down and whilst we couldn't hear them they were clearly laughing or roaring their heads off.
the 3 of us have never forgot that.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #86
rocket1

I was doing some volunteer work and I mentioned to one of the gentlemen I was working with that I had to get a new windshield for my ccpu.His remark was where would one even get a new windshield,dah it"s flat glass.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #87
Hoovercw

While sitting still in gridlocked rush hour traffic, I had this lady roll down her window and angrily tell me I shouldn't be driving in rush hour traffic. Obviously I was causing all kinds of delays. I was so happy when my lane started moving faster than hers. LOL.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #88
CarlLaFong

I was at a local car show. Some guy said, loud enough to impress all the people around him, "I'd hate to be that guy when he needs new tires for that thing." I, literally, had 10 miles on a brand new set. They still had parting dust and the little rubber tits on them
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #89
woofa.express

There was a meet in my town of Ford Fairlanes, an earlier model. If I remember correctly there were some 24. That doesn't seem many but do remember Australia has a population of only 24 mil and 85% live in state capitals.
Well I asked a bloke who I had met but don't know well, " which one do you like Rob"?
well I like the maroon ute parked on the roadside.
It was a Model A which was owned by one gary. As in me.
Well take it for a drive Rob, I invited.
He was reluctant for fear of damaging it. I assured Rob any damage could be repaired for after all it was a heap of shit when I purchased it and had been restored and could be done so again.
After much persuasion he reluctantly agreed.
I do encourage all to drive it, after all it was the very first car many drove for the first time. and it didn't stop on the commend "whooa".
My A, and indeed all A's have more class and character than any Fairlane and indeed anything that came off the production line since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ute at bushlands.jpg (20.4 KB, 14 views)

Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #90
wawath

When asked Did you buy it new I always say No but my son did.
wawath is offline   Reply With Quote