Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
LeRoiGross

Question Radiator Shell won't fit

I'm having trouble with my radiator shell resting on the hood clip shelf. I am restoring a 1929 Phaeton and when I install the radiator shell it sits hard on the shelf. Also the shelf is about 3/8 inch inboard of where it ought to be so the hood panel rides hard on the shell welting and the hood clamp barely hooks on the hood. This is only on the driver side and the passenger side fits OK. I think the fender may be the cause of the problem as it has been straightened to repair a dent and maybe the upsweep of the fender next to the radiator may be a little off, causing the shelf to move inboard
I have 2 shims under the radiator bolt to try and raise the shell off the shelf but it hasn't helped much and if I go higher then other problems appear. I don't think the shell should press on the shelf, but I don't know which way to jump as I don't know what the correct dimensions or this area are.
Any help out there?
LeRoiGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Radiator Shell won't fit

Old stock radiator and shell or new/repop?
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
JBill

Do you have the rubber pads under the radiator mounts? They lift it up maybe as much as a quarter inch and that would also lift the shell the same amount. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem. From my experience that area, with the radiator, the radiator shell, the splash apron, and the hood shelves is always a challenge to get to fit properly!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
LeRoiGross

As far as I know it is an original shell. But before I bought it 60 years ago it could have been changed. It sure is better that the repo stainless one I bought which is light weight and has a wide lower cross member. I have two1/8 inch rubber shims lifting the radiator on each side. If I lift the radiator more then the shell rises too and eventually I could get the shell to clear the shelf. But then the hood panel would be too high for the hold down clamps to latch onto the hood panel.
Real question is--Should the shell touch the shelf at the corner? Mine touches which scratches the shelf.
By the way it is a replacement radiator so it could be out of whack but what dimensions should I have for the shell attach ears and mounting bolt holes?
JBill, you are right. It is a challenge!
LeRoiGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Tinbasher

Start from the base. Make sure the frame is square and level first. Then go to your fit of the hood to the cowl. This will tell you if it's just in the rad or in the frame. You should have a even 3/16" to a 1/4" gap between the rear of the hood and the cowl on both sides.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote