Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Stinch

Default 68B - Fitting the Door Bead to Chassis Wood

I have managed to find a pair of original Briggs door beads for my 1930 Cabriolet. This bead is to be nailed to the chassis wood and is located under the doors. Fitting the bead to my new chassis wood just doesn't seem to fit right. The photo below shows the bead slipped over the edge of the chassis wood. I suspect the wood needs to be routed out (A) along the length of the area under the doors to permit the "step" (B) in the bead to fit. I'd like to get opinions from those who have done this work before I take the router to the wood. Thanks - Rich

Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Stinch

Default Re: 68B - Fitting the Door Bead to Chassis Wood

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
After spending some time with the chassis wood, I've found the side rail wood does not need to be routed out. This thread may turn into a "how-to" as I discover the issues. The picture below was taken tonight after the day's progress. The door edge fits well into the lower horizontal step until it gets to the front. That's where the door bottom is incorrectly over the top horizontal step. The problem may be with the door itself but that is another day. I can't very well get the cowl patch panel until this is resolved but I think I'm going in the right direction.

This picture is of another 1930 68-B Cabriolet that belongs to a guy across town. Not the best cowl repair but it provides a closeup of how the bead is fitted to this car. I'd be interested to see other 68-B's showing this area.