Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #41
SeaSlugs

Default Re: NEW parts That Are Junk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Whoa.........back up there, I do to know how to flip burgers.

I'm sure these bushings weren't made for Model A's, because if they were, they'd likely be a one piece bushing, and maybe even have a grease hole, even though very few pedals had grease fittings.

I'd bet these are standard size bushings that fit many applications, and two side by side just happen to fit the Model A. I'd just drill or notch, as has been mentioned, and the job would take less time than it took for me to type this.
Agreed, alot of the bushings, bolt sets, etc are just repackaged convenient to us kits of existing parts. If one wants to mull over every nut and bolt from the blueprints or measure ID and OD of every part and spend hours trying to find them online or locally be my guest. I too would much rather get to drill the hole after they are pressed in VS trying to line them up. They were tight fitting in my pedals and a bear to get in.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #42
Railcarmover
BANNED

To me the fun is in the search..I could have bought a new flywheel housing for 359 bucks..instead I hung out with my friend and stripped a couple of old engines and met some new people while on the hunt.Along the way I picked up some other parts not specific to the flywheel housing but valuable to the future work.

In the end I blasted five housings,two 28/29 standard,two late 31 reinforced ones and an after market one I havent been able to identify,basically I learned all there is to know about them from this search..and ended up with a late reinforced one that dialed at .002..

This is why I do cars,the hunt is exciting,I meet all sorts of people and the end result is rewarding..the build,even the completed car is kind of a letdown,I enjoy driving them,but find myself craving the next project.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #43
Terry, NJ

OK OK, I maybe shouldn't have said "Juan or Miguel" and I agree there's plenty of "Dave and Toms" (And I know a Terry who fuked up a few parts too) But the characterizations of someone who just didn't care still holds. As has been said many times before, Mod A owners can be, ahem, "Frugal"! And that's a good thing! But that puts pressure on manufacturers and dealers to work hard to keep their prices down. That pressure means low labor costs.
Another bad practice is to perpetuate the BS that Mexicans (And others) do the jobs that no one else wants to do! That inverts to no one wants to do the jobs Mexicans do. Is it not obvious how this is self segregating? The longterm effects of this can only be a lowering of standards of quality.
Terry
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #44
Terry, NJ

I was born in Essex county, NJ (Soprano Country). I lived in the north till I was about 30 years old. In that time we called everyone from south of the Raritan River or in the 609 A.C., Pineys, or Pinehawkers. And why not? They lived down in the Pine Barrens. They weren't like us. In 1975, I bought a house in Toms River. In the Pinelands and moved south. At that time there was a Japanese restauranteur named Rocky Aoki who sponsored an Off shore power boat race under the name of the Benihana out of the Manasquan inlet, Just a little up the coast from Toms River.This race was popular among the Northeners (N NJ and NYers) who would descend on the south in droves, bringing their cars to mess up the traffic, get drunk, and generally do what folks do when they're having a fun day out. They got to be known as "Bennies"! And they were dispised for it. After a while, Bennie was applied to everything and everyone they didn't like.
I once heard a friend of my daughter's friend referring to an ugly boat as a "Bennie Boat", as though it was designed and built in N NJ and transported south just to annoy those in the south. So this is human nature at work. When the third smallest state in the union can segregate itself over traffic jams and litter, You know it's really not a serious thing.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
DON'T make FUN of workers, just because they have a certain ethnic NAME!!! You're inferring that they're STUPID!
I'd get PISSED, if you called me a DUMB ASSED OKIE!!! I came out of the WOODS, in S.E. Oklahoma & proud of it!!
Bill Stickitinyourear!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #45
wrndln

I don't know why Bill Williamson get so off topic and worked up. Can't we all just get along, like Rodney King said.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 01-15-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #46
holdover

I agree that some parts are not correct, and if they can't be used as shipped I either rework them, or send them back. It is fortunate that I have the skill and machines to correct the problem. I would like the parts to be bolt on when received, and over the years (bought my first A in 1966) the parts industry has come a long way, especially the big players. It would be nice to go back to the days when NOS parts were plentiful and at fair prices, but we have to deal with the present situation. I like the notation in many of the catalogs that mention the deficient attributes in a particular part, and I also know that the vendors (most but not all) wish that they were perfect fit, finish etc. as received from their supplier, but with the price point they have to deal with on a very low production/not often sold parts, it is difficult. Perhaps a side bar to this site would be a listing of where to get the very best items. I am not into bashing anyone IF after they send me something that is way off and they either send me a correct part, or return my money plus shipping. If they don't do this , which has never happened with the dealers I buy from, the same ones that are always given praise here, then I would be determined that no one else makes the same mistake. I am not looking for cheap, just fair priced quality parts to keep my four As rolling down the road. Your mileage may vary... Have a great day!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #47
ronn

so much whining here- how about all of the suppliers go out of business and you go make your own parts?

sounds reasonable to me.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #48
jhowes

I agree with SSsssteamer,, I own a 1931 sleeve valve Willys, now try to find parts that are near as good as this shaft and bushing dfrom Snyders. Try to find one at all used or otherwise. A set of sleeves is about $1000 if you can find anyone that had them made for your engine. We have a great bunch of vendors that do what they can is a competitive business, be grateful. Right now I would take a vender like the old Ricks if I could get the parts for my Willys. Jack
Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #49
jboggess

Id like to praise Snyders, yes some of there parts have some issues, but they excellent customer service. Every time when i need to send something back to them, even when the package is open there glad to accept it and they always send a check in the mail for it. Also when a part is on back order they give me a phone call saying its on back order and its going to be awhile. No other company i know gives me a personal phone call.... Good Job Snyders!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #50
sofield

For myself, I feel very lucky that there are parts available for these 85 year old cars.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #51
History

Ok I brought a torch and a pitch fork (silage fork). Who are we going after??
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #52
wingski

Bill, you know what? I’ve always had problems with getting the right part every since I was a kid. I learned pretty early to take my old part with me when I went to get a replacement. Even then, I often had to modify the new part to fit correctly. I just got used to it. Now, with all these online purchases, I expect to have to modify a lot of the parts I get. The main thing I’m concerned with now is the quality of the material the part is made from.

I was just looking in a 2016 Bratton’s catalog and noticed they were selling gasket kits for the fuel guage that contain a neoprene gasket. Neoprene and unleaded gas are not compatible, and I would think that almost everybody knows this. Apparently not.

When you get a piece of crap for a new part, let the vender know it. I appreciate the time and trouble you are taking for all of us.

Thank you,

Mike
Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #53
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I don't know why Bill Williamson get so off topic and worked up. Can't we all just get along, like Rodney King said.
Rusty Nelson
Me thinks a poster made some very racist remarks in a post that has since been deleted. It also appears that he is digging himself an even deeper hole trying to rationalize that deleted post.

I for one have a very hard time "getting along" with someone who thinks and acts that way.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #54
FRANK PKNY

Please don't bad mouth excellent suppliers like Snyder's. These people are fine suppliers. Yes there are some questionable parts out there. I started this hobby back in 1960. I those days repro parts were for the most part junk. But if you could not find a old stock replacement part, you had to make due. Today's replacement parts are far superior to what what was available back then. Yes there are some issues , learn to deal with them. You need some common sense when installing the bushings. Fitting a part or the need to modify it is, part of being a good mechanic (craftsman). JMHO
Old 01-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #55
Kustom Komet

I've restored several early Mustangs and Falcons, and I'm used to repro parts that don't fit out of the box. I'm also used to making them work, which I consider to be a part of the hobby and in some cases actually fun and rewarding. I can't do anything about parts that aren't perfect, other than return them, and as many are made by just one company, the choice is either use them or spend a mint on NOS... if you can even find that.

I'm new to Model As, but most of the parts I've bought work well with a few minor tweaks or adjustments. I like that I can get the parts at all - which certainly beats the alternative.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #56
Ryan
Administrator

Quick note fellas... The racism stuff is not cool... I'm closing this down.
Closed Thread