Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #61
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

Yes K I would be interested in a "proper" patent plate decal! I, as of yet, have been unable to find one. The T Bird decal would work and I don't think anyone else would catch it.

...nice photo of a 54, 55 and 56 Patent Plate--- I think they may be the same? Or just a 56 would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Jwawhite
, I'm not sure what there would be to 'catch', except it being a decal instead of whatever the original paint/printing(?) process was.

With as cost conscious as the Ford bean-counters were about inventory control, I believe this style data plate is not Thunderbird specific and was used on all cars from earlier in the 50's until late '57.

If I'm not mistaken, the same style Data Plate was also used on the same year Mercury's.
(Quoted Posts Shortened)

Good Info dmsfrr!

The plate for the 55-56 are the same it appears (FORD - BIRD).

I had no idea this decal was available. It seems to me that there were businesses that specialized in refinishing the PATENT PLATE.

Here is another good reference- https://www.ctci.org/decoder1.php

Read all three pages as there appears to be some differences.

I think MERC might have had a different appearance as it was a separate division then as was LINC.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #62
KULTULZ

Default Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
(Quoted Posts Shortened)

Good Info dmsfrr!

The plate for the 55-56 are the same it appears (FORD - BIRD).

I had no idea this decal was available. It seems to me that there were businesses that specialized in refinishing the PATENT PLATE.

Here is another good reference- https://www.ctci.org/decoder1.php

Read all three pages as there appears to be some differences.

I think MERC might have had a different appearance as it was a separate division then as was LINC.
EDIT-

1954 MERC PATENT PLATE

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #63
KULTULZ

Question Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

I thought doing this was illegal unless going through the resident MVA.

If in so doing, hopefully they require the original plate so as nothing funny can happen.

http://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

They even sell the special rivets.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #64
dmsfrr

Quote:
EDIT-
1954 MERC PATENT PLATE
OK, I learned something... thanks.

Quote:

I thought doing this was illegal unless going through the resident MVA.
If in so doing, hopefully they require the original plate so as nothing funny can happen.
http://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm
They even sell the special rivets.
Martiauto does have several proof-of-ownership procedures in place and you best have your ducks in a row when replacing a Data Plate or yes, you could end up watching your confiscated car leave on the back of a tow truck just before you get a free ride to the Graybar Hotel (jail) & a phone call to your lawyer.
Most State MVD's require a serial number inspection with an ownership sale / Title transfer, esp an out-of-state transfer.

Just replacing the damaged paint with a decal is not an issue, unless you alter the factory stamped serial number or remove / replace the Data Plate with 'something else' that doesn't match the frame numbers.
Definitely hang on to any 'proof-of' paperwork if you replace a damaged or missing data plate.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-21-2018 at 09:57 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #65
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

IIRC, if you look closely at the Martiauto pages it may(?) be possible to have them create a 'replacement' data plate with the exterior & interior color codes to match the different/preferred colors an owner had the car restored to.
That is exactly what worries me, changing the original build data.

I have seen many restorations being auctioned whereas the seller and/or auction house is describing something that is not true.

If a person takes a rust bucket and throws thirty thousand at it and it sells for sixty thousand and it is not the vehicle being described but a resto-mod, it is fraud (IMO).

BUYER BEWARE!

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #66
dmsfrr

Quote:
That is exactly what worries me, changing the original build data.
I have seen many restorations being auctioned whereas the seller and/or auction house is describing something that is not true.
If a person takes a rust bucket and throws thirty thousand at it and it sells for sixty thousand and it is not the vehicle being described but a resto-mod, it is fraud (IMO).
BUYER BEWARE!
Sorry, I deleted that paragraph as I'm not sure how true it is, just something I thought I remembered. It's why a factory invoice can be important. Yes, "Buyer Beware".

I'd suspect most State MVD's don't care what color a car is, just that all the serial numbers match and that it isn't stolen.

"the auction house is describing something that is not true"
It happens all the time. They don't verify much besides the most basic info about a car and have teams of lawyers that write their sales/purchase disclaimers.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-20-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #67
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

Sorry, I deleted that paragraph as I'm not sure how true it is, just something I thought I remembered. It's why a factory invoice can be important. Yes, "Buyer Beware".

I'd suspect most State MVD's don't care what color a car is, just that all the serial numbers match and that it isn't stolen.

"the auction house is describing something that is not true"

It happens all the time. They don't verify much besides the most basic info about a car and have teams of lawyers that write their sales/purchase disclaimers.

Why sorry? You brought up a very important point.

I am sure you have watched TV shows describing those that rehab and turn houses hiding defects/incorrectly remodeled, same here.

Quote:
Another important entry. I never thought of that angle either...

How about buying a $$$ supposed restoration and later find out ii is not all that special?

BTW- On the 55/57 BIRD, the VIN is also stamped on the frame isn't it?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 03-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #68
dmsfrr

Quote:
I have seen many restorations being auctioned whereas the ... auction house is describing something that is not true.
They're used car salesmen, it's their job to sell cars for as much as possible, telling buyers what they want to hear.
When an owner/seller provides vehicle information to the auction house, the auction house is only minimally liable for confirming it, if at all.
Quote:
How about buying a $$$ supposed restoration and later find out ii is not all that special?

BTW- On the 55/57 BIRD, the VIN is also stamped on the frame isn't it?
"It happens all the time" may have been a slight overstatement but it certainly happens much more often than buyer's would like.
I might not have the most objective opinion on this subject.

When researching the potential purchase of the '55 T-Bird I have I came across two different auction house listings a year apart ('06 & '07) that both said the car had been frame-on restored in the early 2000's and had it's original 292, several photos were also shown.
In '12 the same car was listed for sale by a dealer (that also does T-Bird restorations) with a similar description and additional photos of the car and engine.
But when looking at the car in person... it had not been 'restored' and did not have it's original engine. It had a semi-recent paint job & upholstery but no mechanical or electrical restoration work at all !!!
I bought it significantly below their asking price, and it was just barely worth it. In hindsight I should have waited for a better car to come along. It has been a learning experience

Yes, '55/'57 T-Birds have the vin/serial number stamped into the frame in at least 2 places.
The 'full-sized' cars should have them as well.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-22-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #69
Jwawhite

I believe my car may have been misrepresented. Note the word "may". I brought the issues up and someone "may" be person non grata. Printed material may not have represented the vehicle correctly.

But I accept responsibility for my actions. I wanted the vehicle and now I have a new hobby that takes my mind off other things...that saying about "things that happen" was so true in my case.

Last edited by Jwawhite; 03-21-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #70
KULTULZ

Post Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

I believe my car may have been misrepresented. Note the word "may". I brought the issues up and someone "may" be person non grata. Printed material may not have represented the vehicle correctly.

But I accept responsibility for my actions. I wanted the vehicle and now I have a new hobby that takes my mind off other things...that saying about "things that happen" was so true in my case.
As long as you enjoy the car nothing else really matters. We figured out the front metal problem and with a little more work you will be good to go...

- WHY IS IT ... -