Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
sconnors

Default Shock Question

Discovered today that the rear shocks on my pickup were totally empty of fluid. I filled them but am wondering, should they be bled?
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Shock Question

Nope, how would you go about doing it ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
John LaVoy

If the shocks were reproduction and not original they should have been empty. The reproductions do not use a reservor they are a sealed system.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
RHD

To see if there is fluid in the shock, remove the filler bung and insert a small screwdriver to touch the fluid (if any) to firstly determine what the fluid is, and check the level. Always fill with the same fluid if possible. If they are dry, fill with heavy hydraulic oil. I have used new engine oil with great success with no problems over many years of use.
To bleed, remove the link from the arm. Fill the shock. Wind out the small adjusting valve at the centre of the shaft a few turns to remove any resistance. This valve controls the resistance. Move the arm up and down many times to introduce fluid into the inner chamber. You will see fluid lever decrease as fluid enters, and sometimes you can hear it doing so. As the fluid enters the inner chamber you will need to top up the outer reservoir. There must be an air gap in the outer reservoir so the filler bung must be between 10 and 2 o'clock. To check if any air is present, tighten the adjusting valve to see if there is any resistance. If the level is not going down, the internal check valve in the 'flange cover' (incorporates the large nut) is blocked and the shock would require dismantling to clear.
If the shock is badly worn there will be none or very little resistance.
If you can move the shaft in any direction it shows wear, and the shock will need repairing. Don't even bother to try to fill.
You will be extremely lucky if you can just add fluid and drive away. Any shock that I find these days, and it is not many, the only real option is to completely dismantle, clean, check for wear and if not too worn fill and try for resistance. If I find say 10 shock bodies over a period of time, I am lucky to even get one suitable for repair. We are dredging the bottom of the barrel these days, going through what past generations would not even consider.
Hope this has been even slightly helpful.
Les.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote