Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
JoeWay

Exclamation Another Original 2-Blade Fan Takes Its Toll

Our club attended the Northern Ca Spring Opener in Ukiah recently. On the way home, one member lost a blade from his original fan. It wiped out a nearly new Brassworks radiator and put two dents in the upper right hood panel.

This fan had been wet-Magnafluxed at an aviation repair shop and certified free of cracks, yet failed within about 1400 miles of installation.

Guys and gals, take those original welded blades off unless you're about to enter judging. Which reminds me, IMO it is WAY past time for the standards to allow reproduction fan blades.

Joe

P.S. According to the adjuster, his Grundy insurance will cover all the damage except for the broken fan blade itself.
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Another Original 2-Blade Fan Takes Its Toll

What if I were to tell you that someone is seeking feedback on possible manufacturing of a NEW reproduction stamped steel 2 blade fan. How many here would step-up and buy a brand new 2-blade fan that would be look authentic enough to pass as NOS?

Feedback??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Bruce in southern OH

Several years ago, I drove my 31 Vicky to church, on way home no problem, stopped to let son get paper out of paper box, he said there was water coming out of hood loovers, drove 300 more feet to park at house, opened hood and the two blade fan had ate the radiator, got me, cost a lot to fix and never was the same fit with different radiator, get them out before someone is killed by a bad blade, Bruce

As far as look alike, I don't care, let us see one, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Clem Clement

I think the clearly all original blades should be removed and become part of your tool kit for the judges to inspect. Use a repro for goodness sake. This is a known safety issue which should stand higher the demand for originalness.
clem Clement
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

[QUOTE=JoeWay;5985]Our club attended the Northern Ca Spring Opener in Ukiah recently. On the way home, one member lost a blade from his original fan. It wiped out a nearly new Brassworks radiator and put two dents in the upper right hood panel.

Guys and gals, take those original welded blades off unless you're about to enter judging. Which reminds me, IMO it is WAY past time for the standards to allow reproduction fan blades.

Very good safety point.
Mark
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
...How many here would step-up and buy a brand new 2-blade fan that would be look authentic enough to pass as NOS?

Feedback??

Depends greatly on price. The aluminum 2-blade fan is up to about $50.

I'd guess a lot of people including me would be in at $75 or so. Not so many at $100 or more.

Joe
Old 05-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Yup some people never learn and insist they still have the same air that Henry put in the tires. As far as Brent's hint I for one would want to know where the steel came from to manufacture new ones.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
PO51

I would be interested
PO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
dudley32

Me too..!
dudley32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Dennis Pereira

I would within reason.
Dennis Pereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
As far as Brent's hint I for one would want to know where the steel came from to manufacture new ones.
Well, I'm not sure any of us know exactly where the steel we use today comes from , ...but this person is a well known manufacturer of quality Model A parts that we all know.

Guessing "out-loud", I would expect the finished product to probably be about double that Joe, maybe even triple that. For me personally, I would probably buy 10-12 of them a year just because they would be an accurate reproduction that works correctly and looks authentic. I realize many probably won't see the value over the alum. 2 blade but on the flip side, it is truly amazing how many folks out there pay extra for Goodyear tires instead of the cheaper ones, --or pay extra for the Bill Stipe shocks or his new camshafts, or purchase the new electronic distributers and Aries mufflers and such that is of higher quality and more authentic looking.

One thing is for sure, I suspect that if there are new authentic-looking two-blade fans available, I doubt you will ever see the Stds. change.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
What if I were to tell you that someone is seeking feedback on possible manufacturing of a NEW reproduction stamped steel 2 blade fan. How many here would step-up and buy a brand new 2-blade fan that would be look authentic enough to pass as NOS?

Feedback??

If the price and quality were good, I would be interesred!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Rich in Tucson

I would be interested in one for one car, but I also would be interested in a better made aluminum fan for other cars.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Deluxe Delivery Don

Me too! I would buy one also because the body work repairs would be alot more. $75.00 to $100.00 would then be cheap
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
peters180a/170b

A guy that i know has been working on this idea of a Authentic STEEL 2 -blade fan for a year now.. What is holding him up in the AUTHENTIC WELD SPOTS .Everything else there is no problem. I just spoke to John and he plans making a trip to Ford Headquarters and see is there is some kind of blueprints. Brent send me a email or call and maybe your guy and my guy can hookup and share ideas and $$$$. We need only 1 person to do this in this kind of market.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
A guy that i know has been working on this idea of a Authentic STEEL 2 -blade fan for a year now.. What is holding him up in the AUTHENTIC WELD SPOTS .Everything else there is no problem. I just spoke to John and he plans making a trip to Ford Headquarters and see is there is some kind of blueprints. Brent send me a email or call and maybe your guy and my guy can hookup and share ideas and $$$$. We need only 1 person to do this in this kind of market.
I suspect the manufacturer I speak of is lurking and will be reading this at some point.

What has me curious is what is AUTHENTIC WELD SPOTS? Using the analogy as above, Aries mufflers are not "exact" due to manufacturing costs but they are "close enough". Stipe's shocks are not "exact" because he made some slight internal modifications to improve on design and/or reduce production times. They are "close enough" to get the job done. My point is that IMO, sometimes we need to be careful while swallowing the camel that we don't choke on a gnat. Otherwise these ideas kinda stagnate just sitting on the drawing board.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
eswanson

I have seen a fan off a Model A and one off of a Model T (both owned by the same guy) come through the hood. If you have a safe option that is nearly original I'd say God bless ya - send me a bill

Eric Swanson
1931 Model A Pickup
eswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #18
JoeWay

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure any of us know exactly where the steel we use today comes from , ...but this person is a well known manufacturer of quality Model A parts that we all know.

Guessing "out-loud", I would expect the finished product to probably be about double that Joe, maybe even triple that. For me personally, I would probably buy 10-12 of them a year just because they would be an accurate reproduction that works correctly and looks authentic. I realize many probably won't see the value over the alum. 2 blade but on the flip side, it is truly amazing how many folks out there pay extra for Goodyear tires instead of the cheaper ones, --or pay extra for the Bill Stipe shocks or his new camshafts, or purchase the new electronic distributers and Aries mufflers and such that is of higher quality and more authentic looking.

One thing is for sure, I suspect that if there are new authentic-looking two-blade fans available, I doubt you will ever see the Stds. change.

Well...I have a Stipe cam and an Aries muffler, but I won't be in the market for a $250-$300 fan. I suspect the market will consist of future high-point restos, the current high-point restos that are still being shown, plus a very few other people who have to have the best. I really have no idea how many that is, but I bet you have a pretty good idea, Brent.

I agree that such a fan would cause the standards to remain status quo.

Joe
Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
peters180a/170b

Brent , the weld spots around the hub/fan blade to hub. Having a hard time doing the same spot welds.Other then that all is good to go.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
Jim Mason

[QUOTE=JoeWay;5985] Which reminds me, IMO it is WAY past time for the standards to allow reproduction fan blades.

The standards do allow a 'original style metal fan' to pass prelim judging. Then it's a points deduction in final judging. They have for over a year...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote