Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #21
Craig CT

Default Re: Amazing new stud extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
easy out? Easy, out? wash yer mouth out! The last thing you want in a broked stud is an easy out.
Hi Mart; I was laughing out loud when I read this, thanks, Craig.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #22
KiWinUS

Quote:
easy out? Easy, out? wash yer mouth out! The last thing you want in a broked stud is an easy out.
LOL I’m with you Mart.
Use gas cutting torch have it set just like you going to cut 1/4inch thick steel.
Drill 1/8th hole all way through broken stud in block. Now take gas torch heat broken stud until it’s very red then pull lever & blow molten metal through into water jacket. Careful blow all of remaining stud out. You will see it does not even heat threads in block up. Clean hole with “real” thread chaser.
I have seen way more heat put into block& threads by people trying to free studs.
Good luck.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #23
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
You can find them on ebay under roller stud extractors.
They're also sold by Jegs, Amazon, and other retailers.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #24
Mart

The one being discussed here, is a chuck type. It's like a self tightening chuck that only works in the undoing direction.

The roller type is a different type. I have a roller one here that is for 5/16 studs. It was used at the factory for putting studs in the A series mini engines.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #25
KiWinUS

Quote:
The one being discussed here, is a chuck type. It's like a self tightening chuck that only works in the undoing direction.

The roller type is a different type. I have a roller one here that is for 5/16 studs. It was used at the factory for putting studs in the A series mini engines.

Mart.
Totally correct Mart. I have never seen the roller style you can use an impact on. They self destruct with an impact. This chuck style can be used with an impact.
Oooh Mart why did you have to remind me of your wonderful British motor cars. Like most every thing on the minis to change a lower radiator hose is pure fun. I worked on all those Austin’s & Morris creations in the early 70’s from minis to big dump trucks. An the same garage I also maintained a fleet of 41-47 Ford US pickups. Quite diverse.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #26
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Mart I believe the impact is a key part of why it worked so well. Particularly a powerful impact. I didn’t care if they broke as I will drill broken studs with 1/8th drill & then blow out with gas torch. Just too easy & barely heats the block or it’s threads.
Kiwi I have a Mac impact and they are amazing aren't they? Crush sleeve on a one ton rearend no problem, rusted off cotter pin on perch pins no problem just brings it right off!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:51 PM   #27
NealinCA

Bringing this back up, as I purchased one of these back in 2021 when this came up the first time. I finally had a chance to use it yesterday, as I needed to pull the short studs on a 59A in order to put tall Edelbrock heads on. I was able to pull the lower studs, plus 3 for an offset generator mount in about 30 minutes, and no broken studs. I was very impressed. Thanks for the recommendation.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:53 PM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
Bringing this back up, as I purchased one of these back in 2021 when this came up the first time. I finally had a chance to use it yesterday, as I needed to pull the short studs on a 59A in order to put tall Edelbrock heads on. I was able to pull the lower studs, plus 3 for an offset generator mount in about 30 minutes, and no broken studs. I was very impressed. Thanks for the recommendation.

Neal
Neal,

I agree. This tool and the heat induction tools (like the Bolt Buster) are game changers for us in the old car hobby.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:12 AM   #29
The Liberator

Looks like a good tool, almost looks like the extractor that has the sprag bearing design.
The Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:19 PM   #30
jimTN

There are some stern warnings about using the heat induction tool near a pacemaker and other bits of metal in the body. I would think that stainless implants would be safe.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #31
OldGold360

I removed the studs from my ‘36 LB today and the first 41 came out no problem, but that last one decided to break. Why does it seem like it’s always the last one that gives us problems… or is it just me?
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:26 PM   #32
Zeke3

Nah, I removed the studs from my 37 21 stud engine, the first 40 came out okay, but #41 got me. I was able to finally get the remainder out recently. I should have followed my son’s advice, “let the machine shop remove it.”

If I had to do it over again, I would go right to welding a large flat washer and a nut on the broken stud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0636.jpg (18.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0637.jpg (18.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.jpg (18.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Zeke3; 01-16-2023 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added pictures and last suggestion.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:35 PM   #33
tubman

Another reason I'm an "8BA guy".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:05 PM   #34
rotorwrench

It looks like a collet type. My old Snap On set is a bit longer to give a good taper length to the collets. I've pulled and installed many a stud successfully with that set. The old Snappy stuff came in metal boxes. I don't know if they still make them or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote