Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #41
TRP

Default Re: New member, saying hello...

Ha~ Not quite yet. We have to work out a few details before the deal is closed. The older widow is not real fond of meeting strangers. Her son and I need to fly 500 miles to meet and see the car and close out on the deal. I may drive out instead of flying out so that I don't have to make two trips.

For now I'm going to sit back and be patient while she gets used to the idea. Don't want to push too hard and have everything fall apart. She wants the car gone but doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling it.

What I meant to convey was to not expect too much on this end until the car is loaded up and following me home.

I will take tons of photos. I can't wait to pry open the barn doors and let sunlight hit the car for the first time in many many years.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #42
Brentwood Bob

One issue you might keep in mind is that the roof and the interior don't standup well to air flow on the back of an open trailer. Since we are all guessing on the condition of each, an ideal solution would be to use an enclosed trailer.
Short of that Roll up all the windows, frequently stop to chec on the condition of the car, always clip all 4 of the hood clips that hold the hood in position(I paid a price for not doing this), A tarp might avoid wind damage to a tender roof. Chock, and chain down the car using the front and rear axles, or wheels, And keep the speed down, picture your family riding in the vehicle during the trailer ride home. Newfound pride of ownership dulls the judgement.
My experience.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #43
dean from bozeman

Brentwood Bob, good point.
e.g., Some years back I bought a '29 Leatherback (driver) and brought it home on an open trailer (That's all I had at the time). Along the way, the top split along the seam in back.

TRP, if you don't have an enclosed trailer try to borrow one. If you only have access to an open trailer take Tom's advice and check for and remove anything that might be or become loose along the way.
e.g., some years back I trailer A495 from Montana to Toledo Ohio (to Mark Welch), I forgot to take the open bail light switch off. It had no loom in it. Fortunately, the cover stay on even though it was not twisted closed.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #44
1955cj5

This is what I did to keep the doors closed and protect the glass.....we kept the speed down to help preserve the 60 year old top ..... it survived....but i have since replaced it...That's shipping wrap with shipping tape over the top of it to hold it in place..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep0831.jpg (105.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #45
Brentwood Bob

Thanks for input from #43 and #44. Guess you will need to evaluate the car first before going any farther.
Bob

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 03-20-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #46
Mike Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
2k, 3k,4K just buy the thing,,no brainer... u can always get ur money back plus, if you decide not to keep it..
And welcome to the forum
X2. I bought a 28 business coupe three years ago for 4k. Been in dry storage since 1955. Perfect body, no rust anywhere, but fenders had had some relations with garage doors in the past. Got original numbers matching engine running easily. Your tudor might be such a car as well. Just buy the damned thing.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #47
mshmodela

Exceptionality fine Porsche rep. Ted.... Welcome to the Barn.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:59 AM   #48
TRP

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Unfortunately talks on purchasing this A have stalled out. The owners mother isn't motivated to sell it. She doesn't want it but she also doesn't want to get rid of it. Some people are like that I guess.

Thats okay. All is not lost. I have been watching a few other cars on line. I'm headed to look at a pretty solid looking driver next week. Looks to be a prett well maintained car. Owner is asking 12k. 1929 Tudor. Straight. Gaps look good. B head with 3 bolt waterpump. B/W overdrive. All Steel rust free. I will check back in if I like what i see. I figure that it might make more sense to start with a solid car before jumping head long into a long term project.

Thanks again for all the great info!
Ted
Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #49
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Exceptionality fine Porsche rep. Ted.... Welcome to the Barn.
Thank you. It's a ton of fun. 2054cc stroker motor with a 5 spe3d. Runs like a scalded dog! I need the A to mellow me out a bit.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #50
jimalabam

Welcome aboard...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #51
JDupuis

Ted; Sorry you didn't get to rescue that first car. Maybe she'll have a change of heart soon and call you. Good Luck in persuing that next Model A. Jeff
Old 06-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #52
burner31

Welcome
Born and bred in Redwood City myself
Escaped to a saner location (Oklahoma) years ago

Go for the Model A, I did and have not regretted of minute of it yet
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #53
Charlie Stephens

Ted,

You mentioned in post #3 bringing 4 new tubes. I think I would look around to borrow 4 rims with tires on them instead. Breaking down old tires in a barn sounds like a job I wouldn't like to tackle when I was busy trying to pick up a car. Rims will fit from 1928 through 1935.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #54
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Ted,

You mentioned in post #3 bringing 4 new tubes. I think I would look around to borrow 4 rims with tires on them instead. Breaking down old tires in a barn sounds like a job I wouldn't like to tackle when I was busy trying to pick up a car. Rims will fit from 1928 through 1935.

Charlie Stephens
Hello Charlie,
That's good advice. I'll remember that if I go try and dig one out of a barn.

I'm looking at runners now. Maybe start with something in better shape.

What colors would you guess are on this car?
Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #55
Spokes

A lot Of Good Advice Above. I Agree With Dean, If You Can Buy The A for A Fair Price Based On The Above Enjoy Your A.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #56
JDupuis

I think the main body colour is dawn grey.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #57
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Hello Charlie,
That's good advice. I'll remember that if I go try and dig one out of a barn.

I'm looking at runners now. Maybe start with something in better shape.

What colors would you guess are on this car?
Hey Ted,
YOU are having tooo much fun, IMO !

You story reminds me of 2001 or so, when I located the '30 A roadster that I bought to restore. Ok, up front...I'm maybe in the 'older' classification.

However, I guaranty you that I'm not in the class of old folks that you met and I met when we tried to buy a model A, eh !! The 'old lady from pasadena', acted exactly as you have described. However, she said that her husband died of cancer and that he had driven this (heap of rust) into her garage....'just before he died ' ! She also cited 'the top model A judge' in the area...who told her , at least 15K. I said sell it to him. In the end, I did buy the car for more than I wanted to pay.

Do you believe in fate ? I think that fate/luck helped rescue you and that you are now on the good path to making a happy (running/driving) choice !
Welcome aboard and Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #58
jm29henry

Good luck to you I like the way you think if it is meant to be it will work out !!! ,I believe that sometimes car find us I hope it all works out for you please keep us informed
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #59
BoysToys1928A

Hey TRP, Welcome to the BARN !!! I have read over this thread and may have missed this but it's worth repeating, If the talks with the owner restart, I would make sure there is a title that will transfer. My first 1928 Tudor didn't have one and the widow I bought it from said she couldn't find it. It is illegal to sell them and it is posted on here that no one can sell paper work like that. And many calls to the DMV get nothing but "Your car has to have a VIN number that fits into our data base" so with out a title you have a beautiful antique/Yard ornament... Just a thought to consider. Good luck I'm sure the widow's husband was a great man and in her eyes that car is part of him... Assure her his memory will live on through it by your careful hands. Again welcome.

Larry
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #60
TRP

Well... I did it. I purchased my first A. 1929 Tudor. Needs a little TLC but otherwise a solid foundation.

It is going to need a new top and the tank has a horrible repair to the steering column bracket. It looks to be seeping a bit. Other than that, it has a 'C' head and an ebrake style lever operated Borg Warner overdrive. I note this because historically I thought they had a T handle style system. Car runs strong. Stops well. I assumed the Overdrive was inoperable because he said he had never used it in the 6 years he owned the car. All windows work well. Safety glass. No noticeable signs of water leaks or oil leaks. The car has some unique directional signals. There are drum style with chrome bezels and orange arrows that light up when in use. The car also has a period correct looking water themperature gauge mounted on the column mounted turn signal lever bracket.

I didn't like the fact that the head studs were replaced with grade 8 bolts. I noticed that and the tank fix after we signed the deal. I'm a little disappointed in those two items.

I also noticed that the drivers door was about 1/2 or so lower than it should be at the handle side. Noticeable because the body line does not line up properly.

It has a Nevada Title and VIN. Should be easy to register in CA.

I will post more photos when it gets delivered.

What's done is done.

Thanks for letting me share!

Ted

Last edited by TRP; 07-05-2017 at 06:54 PM.