Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
wbs

Default rivet nuts vs d-nuts

hello-28 phaeton-i may not be applying right name but i'm referring to the hollow squre tube [?sub frame transome] that has d-nuts in it-approx 19 in number that the back sheet metal attaches to
1. problem= many of dnuts are missing
2. it looks that the d nuts have to have been inserted prior to when the tube was enclosed and i cant get access to insert them and tack weld them
3. it looks lke a rivet nut ought to work
4. the holes in the tube are 1/4"; a 12 screw is .21"

ques has anyone tried 12-24 rivet nut? where did they get 12-24 trivet nut?
thanks
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
Rex Perry

Default Re: rivet nuts vs d-nuts

You should be able to "fish" replacement "D" nuts into position and then weld or braze them in place. Try that before you experiment with the rivnut idea. A rivnut is installed into a round hole which would prevent you from ever using a "D" nut. Finding a larger 12-24 rivnut might be a problem and if you do, finding tooling to crimp it into place might be an even harder problem. Good luck...
Rex Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
iverson

the rivnut tool is a handy thing to have but like Rex says much better to do a proper repair the nut is aluminum so not real strong and you need a round hole I got mine at menards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2017.jpg (63.3 KB, 43 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
desotoguy

If you can find the size of rivnut that you need, a simple home made setting tool can be made from a bolt (screw) of the correct size, a nut to fit and a piece of 0.125" steel, just tighten the nut against the steel and the rivnut will expand and set itself. The tool in the pic is for a 3/8" rivnut, and it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (44.6 KB, 78 views)
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
If you can find the size of rivnut that you need, a simple home made setting tool can be made from a bolt (screw) of the correct size, a nut to fit and a piece of 0.125" steel, just tighten the nut against the steel and the rivnut will expand and set itself. The tool in the pic is for a 3/8" rivnut, and it works.
Just made sure you use a good grade bolt or change it out often. You don't want the bolt to break off after repeated use.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:56 AM   #6
DennisR

I use riv nuts for various jobs, I used them on my A for the engine pans so I could fit them singlehanded, I use stainless steel ones, BUT, the tool is only any good up to the 6mm size, or equivalent, for anything bigger you will need arms like a gorilla to pull them in, Desotoguy`s tip is the way to go for the larger sizes.................
Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
wbs

thanks to all who replied
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
wrndln

I agree with Rex, fish the D nuts into place and then tack weld the D nuts in place with your MIG welder. There will be no pressure on the welds, as the D nuts have a lip inside that takes all the force when the screws are tightened. I had to install all new D nuts in my rear phaeton body crossmember, as some knucklehead knocked them all out for some reason. I was able to fish the D nuts into place using a thin wire through the hole in them. It worked out well.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is online now   Reply With Quote