Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino
Default PainterModern paint use (urathanes) suggest that protection is needed with Protection

Modern paint use (urethanes) suggest that protection is needed with two alternatives given. A full-face Respirator P100/organic vapor respirator mask or a fresh-air respirator system. many say that the mask is not adequate and a fresh air system is essential while others say the mask if fine for the hobbyist who only occassionally paints. Does anyone have paint experience with these products? Also, Breathe-cool and Hobbyaire both make fresh air systems under $400. Which is best and has anyone had problems with either system? Thanks in advance.

Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
gosloturbo

Default Re: PainterModern paint use (urathanes) suggest that protection is needed with Protec

We use a 3M fresh-air system at work, which we use in the new paint booths. For priming in the old booth, we use the 3m resperators which do just fine when you use the charcoal filter and the cotton pre-filters.

This is usually more than sufficiant:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...BC31gv%29&rt=d
1962 cadillac fleetwood
1965 checker marathon
1989 mirage turbo
2008 built wrx
2008 yamaha r6
2012 charger hemi
gosloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN
Default Re: PainterModern paint use (urathanes) suggest that protection is needed with Protec

I have been in the auto collision business for about 44 years, and Charcoal filter is NOT the way to go. A supplied Air full face respirators should be worn as well as a paint suit. The Urethane activators can and will be absorbed through the skin and eyes. Also wear gloves when mixing and handling paint.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

I talked with a university researcher that was researching the effect of urethane paints.

Exposure to Isocyanates in the 2 part paints (not epoxy) today is mostly through the skin. It is colorless and odorless. The reaction you get is an allergic reaction. The first symptoms, if you develop the allergy- you will with enough exposure- would be chest tightness. With repeated exposure it would progress into an industrial asthma. Yes, people have died from this. Once you are sensitive to the paint that is it, you can not longer be around it.

The charcoal filter masks do filter out the isos. The reason why they are so heavily recommended against is the basic fault of the mask. They must fit properly. Many do not fit properly and allow leakage. You also have to take into account the concentrations that you are being exposed to as you spray. If you are in an unventilated space then the stuff can accumulate. Shooting outdoors with a light breeze or a paint booth with a high volume of air movement then the risk will be lower. Ahh but you will still have much more risk then if you used a pressure fed mask.

The pressure fed masks obviously are much better. I recommend that you not be afraid of the cost. Look on ebay and see the resale value and you will find you could 'rent' one for a few years by buying it and when you are done sell it and make back a good chunk of money.

BTW Today your biggest exposure to the isos will be through the skin while mixing the paint. Isos are absorbed though the skin so you MUST cover up.

The other smelly chemicals in paint only kill the brain and some minor internal organs such as your kidneys and liver. Even that risk has changed some as the newer paints are loaded with acetone to lower their VOC content. The new paints smell much different then the stuff we had 10 years ago.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
PetesPonies

I agree with the posts here. I have a HobbyAir fresh air system. The price is reasonable and I have owned it for a long time. Its a good value. When you watch shows on TV, you rarely see a fresh air system being used. Two thoughts . . they are not being smart and they have a great ventilation system which removes airborn chemicals MUCH better than you would have in a home shop or booth. I spray epoxy and polyester primers, so I don't have to use my fresh air system. When it's time to put on the urethane top coat, I use it. Unless the part is small and I can paint it without breathing. I wear my respirator, but do not breathe until I am out of the booth. Be careful, it effects everyone differently.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Russ/40

Kevin, you make the point well, and do instill a bit of fear.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Kevin, you make the point well, and do instill a bit of fear.
Russ,
I wonder if I pickled my BRAIN?? I worked for a year, sandblasting small parts, wearing a hood with a leather skirt and with compressor air piped in above my brow! Couldn't even smell fried chicken or coffee, and B.O. was non-existant! Bill W.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
petew

I have a Hobby Air also, it works quite well . A little bit of a pain in the butt to deal with the hose but better than inhaling the pain fumes.
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
dave in australia

I occasionally paint two-packs as part of my job working on aircraft. I will only use a forced air hood and the correct clothing and gloves. It is inconvenient and damn hot in summer, but not as inconvenient as lung cancer, liver cancer and other such medical problems which paints are believed to be a major risk factor. Even if you don't want to believe the oncologists and other doctors, don't take the risk just in case they actually are right. A few hundred dollars is not much to pay for your health.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote