Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino
Default Help - Replacement keys

Someone broke into my shop (kids I suspect as I have seen them on the fence behind the shop looking in the window) and while they did steal tools etc. (as far as I can tell) they did take three items of importance. I kept the ignition keys to my A's in the cars and they are all gone. i do not have duplicates. Any suggestions on how to get replacements? Thanks in advance.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Help - Replacement keys

Do you have the key # ---if you have original popout it can be stamped on the lock cyl, if you have original door handles without the removable cylinders it can be stamped on the shank.

A good locksmith can "read" the wafers and make a key--it can take a couple of trys---or pick it open and make a key
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Blessyouboys

If it were me, I'd contact my insurance company.
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Jerry Parr WI

Remove the locks from the instrument panels and the key numbers are visible. A locksmith or suppliers like A&L can cut new ones from the numbers. Door keys vary depending on body style and year.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
ctlikon0712

Yes, find the kids and promise that their parents will know if the key's don't get returned! Stress that you'd just be happy if they showed back up.... see what happens.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Rainmaker Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
If it were me, I'd contact my insurance company.
Yes, I would think the insurance company would be very interested to learn that they were insuring 3 vehicles that are routinely left unattended with the keys in the ignition. I seem to recall that some policys make mention of that specific issue.
Rainmaker
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Domino

Locked in a garage shop Ron without any way to get the cars out. "kids" pried open a window to gain entrance. But suspect you are correct and doubt if this is covered by insurance.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Yes, find the kids and promise that their parents will know if the key's don't get returned! Stress that you'd just be happy if they showed back up.... see what happens.
I would track down the parents of the kids and tell them;

It appears that some kids broke into my garage. I think it was kids because of the items that were stolen did not have a high value. What was taken was the keys to my cars. Would you ask your child ask around and see if the keys could be found. I've seen your child at the garage window and they may be able to help me so I don't have to go to the police and file a claim.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Domino

Good idea but I have no idea of who the parents are or where the kids live. May drive around the neighborhood and see if I can locate them
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Terry, NJ

A locksmith can "key" a lock by impression, he just needs the blank. The keys that are for locking gas caps use the same blank. Also, I had an Allis-Chalmers (Simplicity) "Homesteader" mower that used the same blank.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I would track down the parents of the kids and tell them;

It appears that some kids broke into my garage. I think it was kids because of the items that were stolen did not have a high value. What was taken was the keys to my cars. Would you ask your child ask around and see if the keys could be found. I've seen your child at the garage window and they may be able to help me so I don't have to go to the police and file a claim.
I can't write on here what I'd tell a person if they came to my door to express their suspicions of my kids. I think it would violate the rules of the site!

How do you know it was kids? Are their break in methods different than that of a 20 year old? Just because you "saw them" doesn't mean crap! Should I suspect the meter reader next time something is missing? Why not, he was up near the side of my house the other day! What about the mail man? Guess where I saw him!

Without knowing more than what has been said here, it sounds like it's just a coincidence and nothing more. Call your lock smith, get him to come out and make some new keys for you. I hope you keep them in a different place next time, and get more than one made!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Domino

Saw them messing around back there multiple times. I also founf a "child's" handprint in the dust of the Townsedan like he sttod onn the running board and put his hand on the roof. But, please note I said suspect - Also, the location of the shop is against my wood fence - ten feet behind it is neighbor's wood fence the only entrance to that area is from 2-3 houses down. I can't bed 100% certain but also can't imagine an adult playing between these two fences.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
azmodela
BANNED

Perhaps the handprint was from a car show or the last time it was out, but you didn't notice it until you started looking for clues. Who knows...

Rather than driving around looking for the suspects and making enemies in the neighborhood, hire the locksmith to cut new keys.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
ctlikon0712

You know, it’s interesting how in the past, If a child was suspected of something and another parent or neighbor stopped to talk to their parent the parent might at least think that there was a possibility of it being true and not stick their heads in the sand, and say “ not my angel!” Now, everyone jumps to the defensive and the kids get away with murder, sometimes literally because they have never had to admit to wrong doing or paid the price. Has allot to do with how today’s generations act. I know it’s a generalization, but at the core it’s true!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
azmodela
BANNED

ctlikon, if my kids did do something like this, you can believe there would be consequences for their actions. Based on what has been said here, there isn't enough evidence to point the blame at anyone, and if someone approached me with a mere suspicion like this, I'm going to give the person who is accused the benefit of the doubt. Even the police wouldn't process this issue as described here, they need evidence, something this situation does not have.

Your general comment about how "today's generations act" is poor and disappointing. What does it say about you though, since you're still part of "today's generations".
Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Big John

why would a person leave the keys to anything in the garage, and then besides only have 1 key? they would be in a bit of hurt if on the road or restaurant or anyplace and the key got lost or?? common sense....also a person going to the corner store without a bunch of spare parts and a variety of usable tools, and an owners manual... common sense....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
ctlikon0712

AZmodela, Your Statement was "I can't write on here what I'd tell a person if they came to my door to express their suspicions of my kids. I think it would violate the rules of the site!" That doesn't say much about you.... not very open to the fact that kids can be kids and get into mischief. Quite close minded actually. As to my generation and how I would handle the issue, yes I would handle it differently than you stated you would. I wouldn't use profane language because that makes one sound uneducated. As if their vocabulary is lacking in real words to use to describe or say things. The police would investigate on a sighting and a hand print, that is what they do. Had it happen to me 8 years ago. I feel my statement was pretty appt. I was born in the 70's, I feel I’m qualified to speak to the merits and deficiencies of today's generations compared to most of those from yours.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

OK let's take a look at what you wrote and what I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodela View Post
I can't write on here what I'd tell a person if they came to my door to express their suspicions of my kids. I think it would violate the rules of the site!

How do you know it was kids? "I think it was kids because of the items that were stolen did not have a high value." Are their break in methods different than that of a 20 year old? Just what is stolen. Just because you "saw them" doesn't mean crap! Should I suspect the meter reader next time something is missing? Why not, he was up near the side of my house the other day! What about the mail man? Guess where I saw him! "Would you ask your child ask around and see if the keys could be found. I've seen your child at the garage window and they may be able to help me.." So yes I would ask them if they saw anything.

Without knowing more than what has been said here, it sounds like it's just a coincidence and nothing more. Call your lock smith, get him to come out and make some new keys for you. I hope you keep them in a different place next time, and get more than one made!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
azmodela
BANNED

ctlikon.... my statement didn't necessarily have to include profane words (it didn't say anything about profanity). In fact it likely wouldn't, just the nature of the personal accusation and confrontation with no evidence and the discussion that would result is not appropriate for here.

As for your second assumption, based on your avatar pic, we're of the same generation.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
ctlikon0712

Then you have my apologies, I mistook what you meant.
Cheers.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Bob-A

Red face Re: Help - Replacement keys

My father was 15 years old in 1930, so I would call him part of the Model-A generation. He told me once to support his cigarette smoking habit back then. He would steal hood ornaments off of cars and hock'm for the dough!

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote