Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
larry harding

Default crunchy tranny etc.

o k #1 after three years work and more money than i ever dreamed i've got my 31 pickup going and on the road. i've driven straight drive vehicles off and on most of my life, but i can't seem to shift the "a" without scraping like some idiot in a comedy act. i have the later style three finger pressure plate and a new disc. the clutch is adjusted so it easy to engage 1st or reverse while sitting still and engages well out from the floor. i know this is a non syncronised tranny, but there must be a way to shift with out crunching.
#2 i also have a pecking or knocking noise in second, not 1st or high. i suspect a chipped tooth but haven't removed the top yet.
#3 when shifting from 1st to 2nd if i go too far to the right i can't get into 2nd.
is something worn and letting the shift lever go past the engagement slot?

i have an extra tranny and am thing about going thru it and just swapping trannys rather than pulling this tranny and rebuilding it.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: crunchy tranny etc.

Smooth quiet shifting depends on engine speed vs tranny speed plus thick transmission oil. Appropriate 250weight (old oil 600w). I think your right about the tooth. It sounds like you’re top shifter needs to be gone thru. You’ll need a special tool to take the spring off of the shift lever. You could make one.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry harding View Post
o k #1 after three years work and more money than i ever dreamed i've got my 31 pickup going and on the road. i've driven straight drive vehicles off and on most of my life, but i can't seem to shift the "a" without scraping like some idiot in a comedy act. i have the later style three finger pressure plate and a new disc. the clutch is adjusted so it easy to engage 1st or reverse while sitting still and engages well out from the floor. i know this is a non syncronised tranny, but there must be a way to shift with out crunching.
#2 i also have a pecking or knocking noise in second, not 1st or high. i suspect a chipped tooth but haven't removed the top yet.
#3 when shifting from 1st to 2nd if i go too far to the right i can't get into 2nd.
is something worn and letting the shift lever go past the engagement slot?

i have an extra tranny and am thing about going thru it and just swapping trannys rather than pulling this tranny and rebuilding it.

But did they have non synchromesh transmissions with straight cut gears??
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Big hammer

A nice slow idle and a good return spring for the carburetor. 5 to 8 mph 1st to 2nd, 15 to 18 mph 2nd to 3rd. Your tower needs work if you can’t find 2nd. I heard that the A’s back in the day lived in 2nd. At the above speeds on flat ground you can slide the gears not using the clutch, thick gooy oil helps, and slow movement of the shifter.
And practice practice practice :-)
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
A nice slow idle and a good return spring for the carburetor. 5 to 8 mph 1st to 2nd, 15 to 18 mph 2nd to 3rd. Your tower needs work if you can’t find 2nd. I heard that the A’s back in the day lived in 2nd. At the above speeds on flat ground you can slide the gears not using the clutch, thick gooy oil helps, and slow movement of the shifter.
And practice practice practice :-)
I agree with those shift speeds. Remember, these are not sports cars but once you learn to drive them the way they were meant to be driven, they are loads of fun.
Don't hurry Aunty A.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Terry, NJ

I would suggest your shift tower (cover plate) is probably worn out. The round ball at the end of the shifter is worn out (Worn Square) These can get so bad you can get it into two gears at once under the right circumstances, The answer is to either weld it up and grind it to shape and size again and replace the springs and ball detents in the cover. In essence, rebuild it. Or these can be bought from Snyder's Pg A 135, for $130. See how the transmission is with the new shifter. This may be your problem!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Are you double clutching?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
marty in Ohio

I agree with Tom. Learn to double clutch and be patient. You kinda have to feel the gears.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
larry harding

thanks guys! i may be be winding out and shifting at too high of a speed( i had a few sports cars in years gone by) and you have confirmed what i suspected about the 2nd gear noise and the worn shifter. i think ill rebuild my spare tranny as i mentioned then do a quicker in and out.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
larry harding

oh! i forgot to mention.... i am double clutching(something i haven't done in years) especially when down shifting.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Patrick L.

Yep, as said, just take your time. These monsters don't like to be 'horsed'. Double clutching works on upshifts and is good practice if you're not yet used to it, but, its not really needed. Just slowly and smoothly upshifting can be done normally. Downshifting is different. Double-clutching is pretty much required. It takes more throttle to downshift than one first realizes, but, take it easy and it'll become second nature.

And I think you'll find,, as others have said, that the tower will need some attention.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
RonC

https://youtu.be/oMeHUTw9jkk

Double clutching
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote