Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default latest ebay fee increase

The latest is a 2% charge for a reserve price.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: latest ebay fee increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
The latest is a 2% charge for a reserve price.
Reserves? Never quite understood a reserve. If the item is TRULY for sale, set the starting bid at what a guy must have (minimum) and allow the auction to do what it does.
Reserves are for guys trying to get a free estimate of value...the market will dictate the true value.
I say make it 10% and sort out those that don't really want to sell or have an overly inflated idea of what their item is worth.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
roadster36
BANNED

EBAY is quickly losing market share with their onerous and outrageous fees. On the last items I sold between the EBAY fees, PayPal fees, etc. it ended up being close to 15 % that they deducted. They even get a cut of the shipping costs even though they don't ship the item. It is their way of making up for losses from large volume sellers. I will never deal with ERAPE again. On another related note, shipping fees are continuing to increase. UPS,FedEX and even the USPS are charging much higher fees than last year making shipping something to factor in when purchasing. They say it is a fuel surcharge when fuel prices have been on the decline in most of the country. I was going to ship a vehicle with Reliable or Passport. It was a short trip, less than 200 miles. They wanted 1200 bucks plus a 200 dollar fuel surcharge. Never again.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster36 View Post
EBAY is quickly losing market share with their onerous and outrageous fees. On the last items I sold between the EBAY fees, PayPal fees, etc. it ended up being close to 15 % that they deducted. They even get a cut of the shipping costs even though they don't ship the item. It is their way of making up for losses from large volume sellers. I will never deal with ERAPE again. On another related note, shipping fees are continuing to increase. UPS,FedEX and even the USPS are charging much higher fees than last year making shipping something to factor in when purchasing. They say it is a fuel surcharge when fuel prices have been on the decline in most of the country. I was going to ship a vehicle with Reliable or Passport. It was a short trip, less than 200 miles. They wanted 1200 bucks plus a 200 dollar fuel surcharge. Never again.
While I agree 100% that eBay fees are quite high there are (at least) two sides of the story.
Something many may not consider is the fact that because of eBay, MANY parts unlikely to otherwise be found have become available.
I am a fairly regular seller on eBay and yes, the fees do take a chunk out of my pocket. I especially have an issue with the fees associated with postage. I can understand Paypal charging for this as they are processing the transaction. EBay is however, doing nothing in regard to the postage fees. I did check in to the legality of this and unfortunately, they can charge for this.
Still, typically the prices I realize are far above what I would get at a local swap.
I wonder how many guys charge goods and services on a daily basis and never once consider the fees the retailer must pay.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Alaska Jim

roadster36, I agree with you that the vehicle shipping charges are most of the time overpriced and the vehicles are not properly taken care of. I recently had a vehicle shipped from New York to Alaska. cost was $4395, the vehicle was supposed to be in an enclosed trailer to the west coast and then a container to Alaska. I have pictures of it being loaded into an enclosed trailer in New York, but the car was filthy and had oil and grease on it from a vehicle carried above it. who knows how it was really shipped. I found that most, almost 95% of vehicle shipping goes through brokers, so you never really know who you get, so when shipping do your homework, and then do some more because it may not be enough.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
redmodelt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you think ebay fees are high, take your vintage bits to an antique consignment shop, the fees can be around 35%.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
roadster36, I agree with you that the vehicle shipping charges are most of the time overpriced and the vehicles are not properly taken care of. I recently had a vehicle shipped from New York to Alaska. cost was $4395, the vehicle was supposed to be in an enclosed trailer to the west coast and then a container to Alaska. I have pictures of it being loaded into an enclosed trailer in New York, but the car was filthy and had oil and grease on it from a vehicle carried above it. who knows how it was really shipped. I found that most, almost 95% of vehicle shipping goes through brokers, so you never really know who you get, so when shipping do your homework, and then do some more because it may not be enough.
I have with only one exception used Passport Transportation for the past 30+ years. That one exception? Shipped three cars to Dearborn from Wisconsin and back with Blue Highways. NEVER again. Horror story from day one. Unprofessional, faulty equipment (elevator didn't work), driver arrived very late...
Passport is perhaps a bit pricier than others but the cars are always taken the best care of and arrive on time, every time.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
skidmarks

Anyone been ripped off by the new return policy ebay uses? A buyer demands a refund and doesn't return the items but gets a full refund. I had it happen. The buyer makes a complaint .I accepted a return. He didnt return the parts but ebay automatically refunded all his money back and kept all the parts. Just wonder if anyone else here has had it happen. The guy that did it to me I found out pulled the same stunt with another seller. Easy way for people to steal your stuff and ebay protects them with the money back guarantee.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Anyone been ripped off by the new return policy ebay uses? A buyer demands a refund and doesn't return the items but gets a full refund. I had it happen. The buyer makes a complaint .I accepted a return. He didnt return the parts but ebay automatically refunded all his money back and kept all the parts. Just wonder if anyone else here has had it happen. The guy that did it to me I found out pulled the same stunt with another seller. Easy way for people to steal your stuff and ebay protects them with the money back guarantee.
Happened to my brother. Yep, this is a totally wrong method of operation on eBay's part.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
f1builder

ebay sucks, run by a bunch of yuppies.
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
mhsprecher

Not to defend eBay, but they are a publicly traded company, so they are all about revenue. It ain't no mom and pop operation. I buy and sell on there often. I did have a dispute with a buyer who have me an unnecessary bad rating.

I have been ripped off on FB and had no recourse. Life just ain't smooth. I might rather sell on eBay than through FB.

As for the refund policy, that mystifies me. I sold an item and the buyer asked for a refund. When I got the item back, I authorized the refund. Maybe the money back guarantee is different. If the stories told are true eBay will likely change it, as people will quit selling on the site.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 06-05-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Grammar
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
TagMan

"Anyone been ripped off by the new return policy ebay uses?"

I sold a part to a fellow Ford Barn member a couple of weeks ago. He told me the same story about Ebay refunding money, 2-days after the part shipped. He got delivery confirmation a few days after that, but the Buyer wouldn't answer his emails and Ebay ignored him, too. Great way to run a business !!

No more Ebay selling for me.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

My defense of ebay is I buy a lot of parts there that I do not know another source for. You can almost always find anything you are looking for. There is just not a perfect system I guess. I use ebay a lot and have had fairly good luck with it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
Tinker

Hey I dig ebay. Buying is great.

Sold a few things lately and wasn't pleased. I guess if you want to spend time looped through computer phone systems and Internet loops then it's great.

Told me it was free listings then hit me for 15 percent listing. Didn't come up till a month later and wanted to link straight to PayPal for auto payments... Ya no thanks. Being that of that they own PayPal so they get all those charges too.

I guess if you need to sell something add 40 percent to total and enjoy. It is still a great resource. A world wide junk yard.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
mrtexas

Just checked, new enhanced higher fees started May 1.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #16
Barry-ct

I buy all the time on Ebay. I stopped selling there because of the postage BS. I know PayPal is spinning off, but I'll bet Ebay will have a finger in the pie somehow. Ebay took a good thing for us and ruined it when they got greedy. I know they have their overhead, etc..., but you and I have to make the CEO and the stockholders rich. That's the American way now, rape the public.
off my soapbox.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #17
qmdv

Who is their competition. If they are making all this money you would think there would be a bunch of other sites doing it.

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #18
f1builder

well i have been on ebay for a long time but pretty much stopped selling because they are not fair and there is no recourse when they are wrong which they often are. they don't care about fair, all they care about is getting as much in fees out of us that they can.
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #19
packyusmc

I've been into old cars since about 1966. Back then the main parts source was swap meets, the odd dealer find, maybe a buddy found a part, Hemings motor news where all the sellers thought their stuff was gold. Just couldn't find much for the old flatheads. No problems with crown Victoria's but they started to disappear in the early 1970s. I've used eBay since the late 90s and have found a lot of real finds but those are trying to dry up. I'm very happy to use eBay because I can still find things I need.
packyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #20
outlaw

IMHO, Ebay is a good thing for people like me that happen to live out of the "main stream". Old car parts are hard to find here in Alaska. What hasn't rotted into the ground or has been scrapped due to the enviromentalist movement that has been snowballing the last 20 years here is hoarded by all of us car enthusist up here. There is no real swap meets, and what few there are suck. I guess if you are looking for newer c#$*y or four wheel drive parts they are ok. The only other option is a expensive plane ticket,car rental,& hotel stay at a swap meet down south. Then the airlines rips you off with baggage fees, not to mention the TSA riffling thru your expensive antique parts and just throwing everything back in your luggage with no reguard to how carefully you had packed everything. UPS & FEDX have a license to steal shipping to Alaska. Their freight charges are ridiculous. I don't like paypal. I would rather send a postal money order to the seller by certified mail. My rant is over now. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote