Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
GOSFAST

Default Heat Frustration??

Just a post to let anyone having work here with us know that we've had to stop working altogether, actually closed up for the past week and looks like this one also? Not sure yet on this one, cooled some today!

We've been above 95* for the past week out in the shop, no A/C in work area, only the office! Can't get any work done with 3 of us "hanging" in there all day. Decided to close till the temps break a bit!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Hope every one understands and I really do appreciate working with all our customers.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Heat Frustration??

I'm very lucky to be in North Central Minnesota where the weather doesn't get real beastly. We do however, have several 90 plus degree days in the summer. I have found that if I am careful to keep my shop completely closed up, I can keep the interior temperature around 68-72 degrees, even in the hottest weather. I actually plan moving vehicles in and out, preferring to do it in the early morning or evening when the air is cool. If you come to my shop and leave the service door open in the summer, you get a firm reminder to "close the damn door!"

When I first got the shop, I was much more casual about it and sure enough, it heated up enough in the summer to be uncomfortable several times. The building, while not air-conditioned, is well insulated, which helps a lot. As a testament to this, I have a recording thermometer on the wall in the shop. I was in Florida all winter last year and the shop was closed up and not heated. Even though it hit 45 below (F) here last winter, the coldest it got in the shop was 24 degrees.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

It was over 110 in my shop Sunday, didn't do much till after 8 pm, got it down to 86 --- work till 2am----- small work I can take into old walk in box that is easy to cool
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
richard crow

i work in a restro shop on long island i am in my 80,s are you kidding no air cond open 6 day.s a week
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A/C and heat were the first things to go into my shop!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
rotorwrench

With 3-months of that kind of weather down here, we have to get used to it. We use the big swamp cooler fans and drag whatever will fit into the overhaul shop with AC but a helicopter won't fit in there and neither will a car. The rain has now slowed down so the humidity isn't too bad now. We just had a cool front come through and the temp shouldn't go over 95 to 97 for the next couple of days. Drink a lot of water and take cool air breaks about every 45 minutes or so when it gets up to 100. We have large doors on 3 sides to get whatever breeze will blow through. Open the shady side doors & swap sides in the afternoon. Where there is a will there is a way.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
Bill S

82 today with a ocean breeze. And I figured it was hot. Not use to it. Like about 75.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
TJ

97 degrees here in Napa today. We get three hot days in a row and then the morning fog rolls in for a week or so. Average temp here in the summer is 70-80 degrees.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
39portlander

This is what the Ol'timers used to call "the Dog day's of summer".
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
rbone

I live outside of Dallas. We are having for us a very cool summer - meaning no 100 degree days so far.

I was on a conference call last week with a bunch of folks I work with in the Big Apple. As they were complaining about the heat, I reminded them of how they make fun of me in the winter when we get a little ice or snow down here and everything shuts down. I guess it's all what you are used to.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
Talkwrench

Damn I wash it was 95 here Gary.. its about 17c [63] outside today, too cold for me..
Old 07-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Tinker

I'm in Minnesota now so I'm not going to bitch about being too hot. I might say at -10f/ -23c, that I'm not pleased.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote