Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
40cpe

Default Ford red engine paint

Is there a rattle can paint to match the stock '55 engine color?
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Ford Freak

Default Re: Ford red engine paint

I used PlastiKote Ford Red. Went on nice , and lasted the 6 yrs. I owned the car .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
40cpe

Thanks, I'll see if I can find it.
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
paul2748

Bill Hirsch in Newark, NJ has the correct red. I think it's called Thunderbird Red
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
dmsfrr

If there's an auto parts store near you that sells Duplicolor brand spray paint see if their Ford Red Engine #DE1605, looks right to you.
FYI, the color on the cap of the can (and the paint) is a bit more orange than it may appear on your screen / phone...
Click on the "Colors" tab, below the first paragraph.

https://duplicolor.com/product/engin...l-with-ceramic

https://www.google.com/search?q=dupl...k1.Wy3UlQTVvsw

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-04-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add search link
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

I just bought an aerosol can of Seymour Hi-Tech engine coating EN-44 (Ford Red/Orange). Mac's (Ecklers) sells it $8.99/can. Mac's part #64-52388. I'd like to be able to tell ya what this is (enamel, ceramic ???) don't know and haven't used any of it yet.
I've had bad luck with ceramic paints in the past since they wash off completely during surface cleaning with solvents like gasoline.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
....... I've had bad luck with ceramic paints in the past since they wash off completely during surface cleaning with solvents like gasoline.
Dang, guess I'd better not spill stuff on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_357402c.jpg (84.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-04-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Dang, guess I'd better not spill stuff on this one.
Ok, I needed to see for myself what I might be in for later. I had some parts leftover from the engine swap that had been test painted to check out the color, before I painted the new engine.
I got a paper towel wet with gasoline and scrubbed on a test painted part for about a minute. There was a slight haze of color left on the paper towel but it wasn't much and didn't rub thru the paint on the part. I can live with it.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:03 AM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I got a paper towel wet with gasoline and scrubbed on a test painted part for about a minute. There was a slight haze of color left on the paper towel but it wasn't much and didn't rub thru the paint on the part.
And someone else here also said that there was no problem with his ceramic coating (in a older thread).

Could be a couple things: It happened that the engine was painted with this stuff when ceramic paints had first come out many years ago, so it's possible that the formula had not been as good as it is today as it was in it's infancy. However, everything was spic-and-span applied at the proper temperature and had been heated by the engine under normal operating temperature for a couple years prior to the first cleaning.
Oil was present on the surface at the time I attempted to clean off the surface with a soft cloth soaked in gasoline. Perhaps the oil broke down the paint over time. Yet there were other areas that had some road grime (such as the oil pan) that I also wiped off with the gas cloth and it wiped the paint right off down to bare metal there also.
Nowadays, I am using enamel, but it is hard to find, especially in the Ford red/orange color, but every once in a while I run across a can and I pick it up if I am running low on the stuff.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
paul2748

As I said, Bill Hirsch has the correct paint, spray cans and quarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
And someone else here also said that there was no problem with his ceramic coating (in a older thread).

Could be a couple things: It happened that the engine was painted with this stuff when ceramic paints had first come out many years ago, so it's possible that the formula had not been as good as it is today as it was in it's infancy. However, everything was spic-and-span applied at the proper temperature and had been heated by the engine under normal operating temperature for a couple years prior to the first cleaning.
Oil was present on the surface at the time I attempted to clean off the surface with a soft cloth soaked in gasoline. Perhaps the oil broke down the paint over time. Yet there were other areas that had some road grime (such as the oil pan) that I also wiped off with the gas cloth and it wiped the paint right off down to bare metal there also.
Nowadays, I am using enamel, but it is hard to find, especially in the Ford red/orange color, but every once in a while I run across a can and I pick it up if I am running low on the stuff.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote