Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default 55 F100 U Joints

Replaced the U joints in my pickup. The U Joint at the yoke end is very close to the yoke end cap. It hardly rotates at all, because of the minimal clearance between the yoke and u joint. It does rotate the opposite way. I have never seen this situation before. I am wondering if I should take it apart and do something with the yoke cap, or if it needs to move during operation will the cap just deform as required? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0531201300a_resized.jpg (30.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 0531201300_resized.jpg (38.3 KB, 25 views)
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Mac VP
Senior Member
 
Mac VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

The original u-joint had an offset to the cross that allowed the plug to clear. The replacement u-joints have a symmetrical cross that bumps into the original plug, as you found out. The solution is to take it back apart and drive the original plug out. Replace it with an expansion plug (slightly convex -dished shaped). They are set by hitting them in the center with a blunt brass punch and heavy hammer. If you can’t get it to seat tightly you can tack weld the plug. I don’t have the size for the plug handy so you’ll have to check that.
__________________
VANPELT SALES LLC
Cincinnati, Ohio
Office: 513-724-9486
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
The original u-joint had an offset to the cross that allowed the plug to clear. The replacement u-joints have a symmetrical cross that bumps into the original plug, as you found out. The solution is to take it back apart and drive the original plug out. Replace it with an expansion plug (slightly convex -dished shaped). They are set by hitting them in the center with a blunt brass punch and heavy hammer. If you canít get it to seat tightly you can tack weld the plug. I donít have the size for the plug handy so youíll have to check that.
Thanks for that info..How solid is that plug, and do you think operating it as is, the u joint would deform the plug into shape, or would it just destroy the u joint? What does that plug do anyway?
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Ole Don
Senior Member
 
Ole Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Michael, Minnesota
Posts: 1,599
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyleea View Post
Thanks for that info..How solid is that plug, and do you think operating it as is, the u joint would deform the plug into shape, or would it just destroy the u joint? What does that plug do anyway?
The plug is there to prevent trans lube from running out along the splines.
Ole Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
Mac VP
Senior Member
 
Mac VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

The original plug is a pressed steel part and can be driven out from within the splined part of the yoke. Of course , you’ll need to remove it from the transmission and remove the u-joint as well before you hammer the plug out. You can also push it out with a hydraulic press if you have one.
__________________
VANPELT SALES LLC
Cincinnati, Ohio
Office: 513-724-9486
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #6
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
The original plug is a pressed steel part and can be driven out from within the splined part of the yoke. Of course , youíll need to remove it from the transmission and remove the u-joint as well before you hammer the plug out. You can also push it out with a hydraulic press if you have one.
Copy..Thanks..I do have a press, and haven't installed the driveshaft yet, so not a big deal..
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
The original plug is a pressed steel part and can be driven out from within the splined part of the yoke. Of course , youíll need to remove it from the transmission and remove the u-joint as well before you hammer the plug out. You can also push it out with a hydraulic press if you have one.
First step accomplished. U joint removved, and plug pressed out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0602201920_resized.jpg (36.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 0602201920a_resized.jpg (30.9 KB, 14 views)
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan
Senior Member
 
Daves55Sedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Granite City, Illinois
Posts: 2,138
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Bear in mind, the splined output shaft of your transmission should be thoroughly greased, because that yoke will slide back and forth on the shaft as you go over bumps or load down the bed of the truck.
If that metal plug is gone, you will fairly quickly push the grease out thru the hole you just made. That plug, keeps the grease in.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #9
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Bear in mind, the splined output shaft of your transmission should be thoroughly greased, because that yoke will slide back and forth on the shaft as you go over bumps or load down the bed of the truck.
If that metal plug is gone, you will fairly quickly push the grease out thru the hole you just made. That plug, keeps the grease in.
Grease or tranny fluid? Thanks..I plan on installing a new plug, maybe a freeze plug of the proper size. Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #10
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Just an update..I used a 1 5/16 concave freeze plug to replace the old plug. It worked like a champ, fit just right. Used a press and some sealant. Thanks for all the help.
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
tommyleea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 301
Default Re: 55 F100 U Joints

Here is the clearance with the new plug installed. Big difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0613201647_resized.jpg (28.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 0613201650_resized.jpg (29.9 KB, 4 views)
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.