Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default My experience with 10% gas

Tonight the power went out at 9 o'clock I went down and got the generator it hasn't been started in two years I looked at it and realized I'd left three quarters of a tank a gas but I did put stable in it.choked it, turned gas on, pulled it and boom fired up and started running so I don't know I just don't have the problems that everybody else seems to .
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
45GPW

Default Re: My experience with 10% gas

Well, I'd say you just got lucky. I've had about equal experience, with old gas--even without Stabil--sometimes being fine after a year or more, and other times, going horribly bad in short order, even with Stabil in it. You just never know what it's going to do.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Maybe you got lucky and had a tank with little or no corn crap in it. I've read that it can and does vary how much is put in the gas.

Cold cloudy 8* Minnesota. I went to the garage and even my Model A is shivering.
In Minnesota Model A's don't vibrate, they're just shivering from the cold.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
springerpete

I think a lot of the differences folks have with ethanol gas depends on where it is stored. My generator also sits for long periods of time although I do start it in the summer. It is in a dark corner of my garage covered with the original shipping box. I have had no trouble in the years I've had it.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
montanafordman

Yeah the power has been out just south of you as well Chuck, It was on and off all day at my place. My neighbor was trying to get his generator going while I was trying to sleep yesterday afternoon (since I work nights) and I could hear it catch and run for a few seconds and then die. (repeat this cycle about 8 times with various length pauses in between) I was actually hoping he would give up (which he did) because it was pretty noisy and I was trying to sleep. I'd be willing to bet it was bad gas in his case.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Bertha

I've had no problems with our Honda 2000i.
It does have a carb drain, I just drain the carb and add sta-bil marine when stored.
I do have a LPG dual use conversion installed for use with the RV, but use the gas option at home.

Bob
Old 11-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I thought I was the only one with no problems with the corn gas. Might be that i'ts building up to hit me good. My mothers car sat for more then a year and started right up after charging the battery.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
rwiegand

As with most products the 1% of folks who think they've experienced a bad outcome with a product complain publicly and loudly, the 99% for whom it worked just fine don't say anything, so the online buzz will always be driven by those who post. In the last 60 years of using questionable, badly stored, sometimes ancient, visibly contaminated, or otherwise unwise-to-use fuel I've never had an engine problem that I could convincingly blame on the fuel. Mostly it just works. YMMV.
rwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
Bertha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiegand View Post
As with most products the 1% of folks who think they've experienced a bad outcome with a product complain publicly and loudly, the 99% for whom it worked just fine don't say anything, so the online buzz will always be driven by those who post. In the last 60 years of using questionable, badly stored, sometimes ancient, visibly contaminated, or otherwise unwise-to-use fuel I've never had an engine problem that I could convincingly blame on the fuel. Mostly it just works. YMMV.
Also my experience with our '53'.
I have not had a fuel problem that I can blame on the 10%.
Took over custodial duties in 1976.
Cleaned the tank and re-built the carb in 1980, been stored every Winter with MMO and sta-bil added since about 1995.

Bob
Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

It gets confusing, take the StaBil vs. Startron debate. I've used StaBil both the red and the green Marine formula seems to work OK but my boating friends all use Startron and stay away from StaBil. That's what the boating people tell them to do, say that StaBil is more of a conditioner not a long term storage additive.

I DID stop by AutoZone and buy a bottle of the '360' StaBil they advertise on the car shows. Kinda pricey 20 bucks for a twelve oz. bottle and it will only treat like 20 gallons. Vapor technology to coat your fuel tank that the gasoline doesn't touch in storage. Does it work? Dunno. When I use up my StaBil I'm going to buy Startron and try it.

Easy thing about a Model A is you can go out to the garage in the off season and just give the car a couple of shakes to slosh the fuel around. I top off the tank to Full anyway.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
sidevalve8ba

Read this about the affects of ethanol spiked gas on small engines.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...fail/index.htm

I have had good and bad results from the use of ethanol gas in small engines but I avoid it if at all possible.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
whirnot

I have never had a problem with 10% in a four stroke engine. But I highly recommend Stabil in any two stroke, with any gas. I used to own a outdoor power equipment shop and saw mixed gas goes south in a hurry.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Bertha

We also have a boat. The Allison owners forum has major discussions on this subject with much the same results.
I have not heard of Startron nor have seen it mentioned.
With boats the major cause of 10% problems is the quality of the 'plastic' fuel tank. The cheaper the composition, the more negative results.

Bob
Old 11-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
John S

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I have never had a problem with 10% in a four stroke engine. But I highly recommend Stabil in any two stroke, with any gas. I used to own a outdoor power equipment shop and saw mixed gas goes south in a hurry.
That's been my experience as well. Gas left in the four stroke engines is OK up to a year. The two stroke mixed gas seems to start to go bad in less than 90 days. I have a lot of gas powered lawn equipment and I only use Stabil in the two stroke pre-mix, if at all.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
Fordors

My Echo 2 cycle leaf blower is still using the gallon of 10% corn gas that I mixed for it last spring, never has had an issue, same with the weed wacker. Being near Chicago ethanol is mandated by the EPA so it's our only choice, I think it has been forced on us by the corn lobby but then again I have seen no real down side to it.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Tom, once again you and I are the only ones with problems! Must be because our last names both begin with 'W'
Old 11-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
Willie Krash

No issues here, but I do treat it.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
DougVieyra

Consumer Reports News: March 22, 2013

Gas with ethanol can make small engines fail

The Environmental Protection Agency has approved gasoline with 15 percent ethanol for use in cars year 2001 or newer, yet it prohibits its use in mowers and other power equipment, stating it may cause damage. A Department of Energy study found that E15 caused hotter operating temperatures, erratic running, and engine-part failure.

But even gas with the usual 10 percent ethanol (E10) could help destroy small engines.
"Ethanol has inherent properties that can cause corrosion of metal parts, including carburetors, degradation of plastic and rubber components, harder starting, and reduced engine life," says Marv Klowak, global vice president of research and development for Briggs & Stratton, the largest manufacturer of small engines. "The higher the ethanol content, the more acute the effects." Servicing dealers are reporting similar problems, even with E10, according to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, the industry's trade group.

The OPEI also claims that proposed warnings at pumps are insufficient and that customers will blame equipment makers should mowers and other outdoor gear fail from being accidentally fueled with E15 gasoline. Using gasoline with more than the usual 10-percent ethanol has long voided most small-engine warranties but, until recently, the chance of doing so has been minimal.
Fuel additives such as Sta-Bil are now claimed to protect engines from ethanol by preventing it from settling out of the gasoline, attracting moisture, and concentrating its corrosive effects; we have not yet tested those additives.

Here are other ways to protect your equipment:
• For smaller string trimmer and leaf blower engines, consider using ethanol-free fuel. Sears, home centers, marinas, and some equipment dealers sell it, though at a premium over what you'd pay on the street. The quart cans sold at retail cost about $5 to $8—still cheaper than a new carburetor or engine.
• Use mowers and riders often during the mowing season to help burn the fuel before the ethanol can attract water and draw it into the fuel system. Also be sure to treat fuel with a stabilizer and run mowers and other larger equipment dry before storing it for the season.

Consumer Reports News: March 22, 2013
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Curt Campbell

Been using 10% ethanol gas in every engine I own including 1,000,000 miles before retired. I used Stabil over the winter. I mow 3 acres of grass for the last 35 years...only two tractors with 1000's of hours...still using 1992 John deere 318. Lots of miles in old cars and trucks...Some hard miles.

I have NEVER had a problem of any kind with ethanol. It's rather obvious that oil companies and their bought and paid for Washington Congress members will do and say anything...With reams of "research" to do away with anything...including ethanol and other forms of energy that cut into their triple digit annual profits. Not that some may have had problems....I am not convinced it is much more than politics and corporate profits at the root of it. I use stabil...have since it came out....and has worked perfectly.

In this country....which I fought to protect...money calls all the shots.

Just my experience and 2.5 cents worth.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Can't stress enought everything Doug just said. I've had small engine carb damage done by the crap gas. Ethanol drawing moisture had corroded the aluminum castings, and diaphrams and hoses have been destroyed by the crap. Steel gas tanks have become rusty.

Curt is so right about money calling the shots.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote