Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default Vendor Reference

I recently discovered there is a Model A vendor in my neck of the woods. I have always used Bratton or Snyder. CW Moss is in Orange county not too far away, and their pricing is very competitive. I would like input on your experiences with them. Their catalog is great, but i know that does not mean a lot when talking about service, and parts quality.
I appreciate your input, and if you don't want your comments on the forum, please PM me.

Thank you guys
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Vendor Reference

Is it close enough for driving? Might be worth an adventure to stop by and check them out.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Ck over on the EV8 Forum as I believe many of them "shop" there. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
duke36

Have use them in the past and cheaper on some items, a little more on others. Nice new catalogue that seemed to take a long time to produce. For in-state, high Cal. sales tax + shipping should be figured in to final cost , same for Sac. Vintage Ford.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...You might consider 'Arizona Model A' Sam Guthrie has pretty much everything and also will listen to your problem and give an opinion. 480-782-0266. He is out in the county area so the sales tax is low. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
There is a lot to be said about being able to look at the part across the counter before you buy. Plus you save shipping. They also have an interesting stock of used parts. Definitely worth the trip. If you can wait for the Pancake Breakfast (a must attend event!!n see https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...cake+breakfast) they are about 1/4 mile away.

Charlie Stepehns
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Russ,

Prices are reasonable and the service is good. My wife loves going there because there are a lot of restaurants for breakfast or lunch down the street in old town Orange near Chapman University. Ewe go there for breakfast or lunch after visiting C.W. Moss. I have one of there old catalogues and the price increases are incredible.

You might also check out The Early Ford Store in San Demas off of the I-57 and I-210. They have a large inventory of used parts, although the used parts are pricy. They have a website with their catalogue of new parts.

That being said, both stores have Vintique parts. You have inquirie if you want other brands.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Bill G

I ordered one item from them once before. It came really fast, but they sent me the wrong item, which they also corrected shortly afterwards. So, they seem to make good on their mistakes. Nice catalog that has better pictures than many other catalogs. I think their on-line ordering leaves something to be desired.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
slipperydave

I have been buying parts from them for years and never had any problems, but that is just me saying that. I just ordered a complete engine overhaul kit from them and a bunch of other parts for my new barn find 1929 town sedan and Troy is great to talk to on the phone. He told me he would call me back after lunch with all the prices and he did, how many places say that and never call, I hate the waiting game or phone tag. I have bought parts from lot's of different vendors over the years and have had good luck with most of them also, I just like looking at all the used parts and the cars in the next section of the building. Just my 2 cent's worth. Dave
slipperydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
2manycars

I bought a muffler from them at Hershey, and their price was much better than others, and of course no shipping.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
glenn in camino

I have always used Brattons. No disapointments.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
1930-Pickup

I've been there several times, they are close to my house.

They have recently expanded the store and remodeled. Its a nice place to visit because they are in a vintage building near the Old Town Orange area (nice food and antique shops).

The shop has no customer chairs. On busy weekends you may have to stand for a while. Physically hard for me to do any more.

The staff is nice. Prices are as expected, sometimes a bit higher.

Quality is an issue and they still carry Vintique. If you are familiar with Vintique them you understand.

I use them for small items that I need 'right now'...like a gasket for example. This doesn't happen very often though.

I think they found themselves out-paced in the digital world. They revamped the store and their catalog. I get the feeling that this may be the last opportunity for them.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
slammin

Its important to patronize our good vendors, especially if they are close by. Being across the mountain from Denver, Berts gets most of my business. I can order before noon and have the parts the next morning, UPS ground. Brattons is 2nd in line. You can get advise on solutions to your problems both places.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #14
KenCoupe

I live in Ventura County, so CW Moss is a bit of a drive for me down the worst of the LA freeways. I have been there several times when I wanted/needed a part I didn't want to wait for. The people have been helpful, the building is nice and the cars displayed are interesting. I have not had any problem with the parts I bought there. It is nice to be able to look at the parts before actually buying them.

Ken
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:50 AM   #15
Chris Haynes

QUOTE=1930-Pickup;1564800]
Quality is an issue and they still carry Vintique. If you are familiar with Vintique them you understand.[/QUOTE]

They don't carry Vintique. They ARE Vintique. Good parts for a rod but not for an original car.
The Early Ford Store in San Dimas carries good parts.
http://earlyfordstore.com/
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote