Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
1930-Pickup

Default Radiator Emblem: What's Your Technique For Soldering On? Late 1930 PU

For my late 1930 PU I'm reinstalling a blue cloisonne Ford emblem onto a painted light commercial radiator shell.

My thought was to position the emblem on the shell and then drop a red hot mounting cap on the back side. Is there a better technique than this?

Any thoughts on how to hold the emblem in proper alignment while soldering it in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9267.jpg (53.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9264.jpg (66.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9270.jpg (94.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Radiator Emblem: What's Your Technique For Soldering On? Late 1930 PU

good old 30 minute JB Weld is a good fix. clean the parts up real good and sand or wire brush the parts to get it to stick better.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Radiator Emblem: What's Your Technique For Soldering On? Late 1930 PU

I would try a small piece of solder laying on the emblem, then the retainer laying on the solder. Hold a small propane flame on the retainer and let melt the solder to the emblem. Remove the flame as soon as the solder sticks them together.

Red hot is to hot to solder, and it will burn the solder and make it useless.

JB Weld is also a good way to fix it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
captndan

A small bit of Gorrila Grip will hold most anything.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
hewe

I have used body panel adhesive. Clean thoroughly. You won't loose it. 2 part epoxy at your local body shop.
hewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
old31

My vote is for JB quick weld.
old31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
wrndln

I talked to Karla Maxwell some time ago who has restored emblems for many fine point cars, model A's as well as other vehicles. She told me she first cleans the back of the emblem and the mating round part that is pressed into the radiator shell hole. Then she lays circular rings of thin solder on the emblem. Then she uses a heat gun (unfortunately I can't remember the heat setting of the heat gun), however it needs to be hot enough to melt the solder. She heats the round part until the solder melts to secure the round part to the back of the emblem.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I talked to Karla Maxwell some time ago who has restored emblems for many fine point cars, model A's as well as other vehicles. She told me she first cleans the back of the emblem and the mating round part that is pressed into the radiator shell hole. Then she lays circular rings of thin solder on the emblem. Then she uses a heat gun (unfortunately I can't remember the heat setting of the heat gun), however it needs to be hot enough to melt the solder. She heats the round part until the solder melts to secure the round part to the back of the emblem.
Rusty Nelson
Several of you recommended a process like this, so I used it, except I used a small torch tip. Worked very well. Thanks everyone!

BTW: I used a couple small dabs of Goop (similar to Shoe Goo) adhesive to hold the emblem in place while soldering. Worked like a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9275.jpg (86.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I hope the shell was out of the picture when you soldered the two parts together. If the shell is in place, as your picture shows, then I'd expect the shell took away so much heat that you could have a cold solder joint, and the dabs of Goop would add to the problem.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #10
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I hope the shell was out of the picture when you soldered the two parts together. If the shell is in place, as your picture shows, then I'd expect the shell took away so much heat that you could have a cold solder joint, and the dabs of Goop would add to the problem.
The cap was heated after I placed it on the backside of the emblem, on top of the solder rope.

Heat to the shell was a concern, especially for the paint. But all is good (or seems to be good anyway). The small torch tip was focused right at the center of the cap, and the cap contact area to the shell is pretty small. I was surprised how short the torch time was before the solder rope collapsed, and then I held the torch on it just a few more seconds for heat penetration.

I wonder how Ford did it at the factory? By hand? Or did they use something like a resistance heater maybe?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

The "secret" is a HOT Iron, acid & some GOOD Solder!---It's interesting & fun, to learn to solder well. I use Chiefs' HUGE, old electric iron. Sometimes you can find them at Yard Sales. When you DON'T see what you're lookin' for, jist ASK!--I even found an Old Cowboy Coffee Pot!
Bill Simple?