Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default Too Much "Stuff" - too many years . . . .

A recent thread about Fan Blades got me thinking about the condition of my original Ford-Factory fan, which has been cooling my engine compartment for 88 years. Even though I check it frequently for stress cracks, etc. and find it to be still in good shape, I thought it would be prudent to have another fan lined up as a back up, in the event that I needed to replace my Ford Factory original.

So following the suggestion of Tom Wesenberg, I checked out Snyder's new aluminum fan (item # A-8600-A - $48). It really does look to be an excellent replacement for my original fan. So I began the ordering process; but then stopped !

Wait ! "Don't I already have a fan or two in the basement?" I asked myself. Yes, I think I remember that I had a 'stash' of fans which I had collected in the late '50's and early '60's. Back in those days there were still quite a few original EVERYTHING to be found at friends and neighbors, and later Swap-Meets. In those days there were enough of a supply of original fans to be able to be quite 'finicky' and selective about buying only the very best. In the days before 'Parts Houses' like Snyder's, Bratton's, and Bert's, "hoarding" was a necessary and natural thing that every Model A owner did. Each owner was his own 'Parts House'.

So I went to my basement and spent 20 minutes poking around all my 20 year collection (1955-1975) of Model A parts, looking for the Model A fans. And lo and behold, I finally did find a 'stash' of original and not-so-original fans. 4 were Ford-Factory, 3 were after-market replacements, two were 4-blade AA fans - and there were even 2 aluminum fans !

But in all my reading about Fans on the Ford Barn Forum, and in my decision to get a spare 'back-up' fan, I had forgotten all about the fact that I already had more than I will ever be able to use !

So that brings us around full circle the title of this thread: too much 'stuff' ! So much so that I have (at 75) forgotten much of what I had collect over the years, AND where I put some of that 'stuff' !

Last edited by DougVieyra; 03-23-2016 at 12:14 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
jeep44

Default Re: Too Much "Stuff" - too many years . . . .

Just as bad is knowing you have a certain part, but can't remember where you put it!
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
1955cj5

The best part is when you find a box of "stuff" that you forgot you had, it's like Christmas!!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Friend, Dennis bought a BEAUTIFUL, SHINY, BLACK, original 2 blade fan at a swap meet, just for a wall hanging. THEN, he discovered, with a magnet, it was constructed of about 1/4 BONDO!!!---SCARY!!!
Bill W.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Friend, Dennis bought a BEAUTIFUL, SHINY, BLACK, original 2 blade fan at a swap meet, just for a wall hanging. THEN, he discovered, with a magnet, it was constructed of about 1/4 BONDO!!!---SCARY!!!
Bill W.
i turned one into wall art that was severely rusted (bulged) and ding dents from who knows what. about all thier good for or static never to be run again display engine.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

After keeping the "correct" fan for your car, maybe a display of the different Model A (AA) fans could be assembled and loaned/donated to the Model A museum?
Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
dpson

My dad passed away recently and although he didn't have a lot of Model A "stuff", he had a lot of "stuff". All I can say is that which we hold near and dear, may not appear so to others and the time to get rid of "stuff" is before you die, otherwise it may end up in place that would disappoint you.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
ronn

The best part is when you find a box of "stuff" that you forgot you had, it's like Christmas!!

happens to me pretty much everyday!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

A person puts stuff away to use "some day". The problem is that "some day" never gets here.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
DougVieyra

Fred K-O: "The problem is that 'someday' never gets here."
---------------
Oh, so true !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
CarlG

That day was yesterday, and I forgot what I had that I needed to use today.

(Been happnin' to me much too often these days!)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #12
quickchange

In 1972 I put a brake drum away in case I ever needed it well 44 years later I got too use it , problem was 5 sheds later could not remember which shed it was in, Think its time for a clean out , That's why we are going to Pate swap meet , To stock up on different parts ?? Derek in a wet NZ 5" last night . Easter bunny got wet.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
30ccpickup

I am better organized then you guys, all of my to much "STUFF" is stored on my wish list!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #14
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Brutal Spring Cleaning!

There comes a time when the most expeditious way to eliminate no longer useful stuff is to throw it away. Have a merciless trash disposal finally underway! Within the past week or so, I have finally thrown into the trash trailer decades long accumulation of stuff. Oddball car parts, boxes of military radio cables, microphones, electric motors, lights, lamps, vehicle fixtures, military garments, relic Singer sewing machines, typewriters, ancient radios, old photographic equipment, etc. etc. Have been saving this junk and moving it around for years and years. Next week. the load gets hauled down to the big land fill dump place.

There's probably enough crap to fill up several Flea Market spaces. Figure that my time is far too valuable than trying to sort and sell this material. The garage is now looking respectable and I am able to find needed items and get long overdue projects underway.

I love Blitzkreig Spring cleaning!
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
Dodge

My father used to say you spend the first half of your life collecting stuff and the second half
getting rid of it.... If that is true I guess that means I going to live to 130 as I just started
getting rid of stuff...
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
CarlG

I noticed the other day that there are boxes out in the garage, taking up valuable shelf space that have been un-opened since we bought the house 10+ years ago. Obviously I haven't missed whatever is in them -- time to make a trip to the dumpster. Then there's all that old valuable computer/printer stuff that won't even come close to working in today's environment. And OH MY GOODNESS! 7 or 8 VCR's.

I'm doomed!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Brutal Spring Cleaning!

There comes a time when the most expeditious way to eliminate no longer useful stuff is to throw it away. Have a merciless trash disposal finally underway! Within the past week or so, I have finally thrown into the trash trailer decades long accumulation of stuff. Oddball car parts, boxes of military radio cables, microphones, electric motors, lights, lamps, vehicle fixtures, military garments, relic Singer sewing machines, typewriters, ancient radios, old photographic equipment, etc. etc. Have been saving this junk and moving it around for years and years. Next week. the load gets hauled down to the big land fill dump place.

There's probably enough crap to fill up several Flea Market spaces. Figure that my time is far too valuable than trying to sort and sell this material. The garage is now looking respectable and I am able to find needed items and get long overdue projects underway.

I love Blitzkreig Spring cleaning!
Give it to Goodwill or some second hand store. There are military collectors that would also take it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
That day was yesterday, and I forgot what I had that I needed to use today.

(Been happnin' to me much too often these days!)
AMEN Carl, same 'boat' !!
So, what's the solution k
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
figment

Put a ad somewhere and you will not even have to haul it away!!!
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #20
jeep44

When we cleaned out my Aunt's house, we would take the unwanted stuff to the curb, and it would be gone before we could make another trip back out! We had a couple guys wait while we brought out all the components of a dresser or whatever. There was very, very little left that the garbagemen had to pick up.
I've got a guy coming over next week to pick up one of my Model As. He doen't realize how much extra stuff he's going to leave with. I picked this stuff up for next to nothing, and instead of letting my son deal with it after I'm gone, this guy can have it.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote