Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
MrTube

Default what kind of truck is this?

Have been working on our A at work for some time now and I keep running into things that are confusing, Like the chrome headlights and the stainless radiator shell yet the engine date code is early 1930.

Anyway, the bed of the truck has wood extensions on the frame. You can see them laying flat under the bed if you look between the cab and the bed. From this angle they look like 2x6s. They run along the bed sides all the way to the back where they are square and maybe 1.5"x1.5"

Here is the only picture I have on hand that shows any of the wood, I circled the exposed end in red. The tail light is screwed into it.

Does this wood mean anything? is it original or a modification?

Sorry for the poor quality picture. Will do better during the week.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Reds34

Default Re: what kind of truck is this?

Looks like a wide bed pickup maybe? It's kinda hard to tell from the picture. I think that the wood is supposed to be there. Just my $0.02.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
MrTube

Here is another picture I have but it doesn't show much bed detail.

Every picture i've seen of a pickup doesn't seem to have wood like that. Most seem to have metal that hangs down lower with the tail light bolted to it?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Keith True

Does the truck have the all steel roof too? (late 31) It just looks like a 31 widebed truck to me.(Roughly June onward)The things you bring up are the most changed on trucks.Shiny shell,headlights,and cowl band.None of the trucks had those except for some rare styles such as the DeLuxe pickup.My trucks have shiny shells,cowl bands,and one had shiny headlights.The car stuff survived much better than the truck stuff.As to the motor number,that engine could have been changed a half dozen times or more in it's lifetime.I'm not familiar enough with the widebeds to know about the wood runners.I just know enough to recognize them.Straight side without the roll on the side panels,three hinge tailgate,curved headboard,and a metal over wood floor.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
MrTube

Keith,

I believe it has a steel roof with a plastic\vinyl cover on it.

The truck is registered as a 31. I've just never been sure

You mentioned a metal cover over wood floor? Ours has exposed wood boards in the bed, that do not look original. Also it looks like something was once welded along the sides in the bottom of the bed?

Last edited by MrTube; 12-11-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I'm helping a friend restore his 31 widebed P/U and the wood runners are correct. I bought a set of blueprints for my friend to use when he makes new wood runners for the box.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Milton

"Does this wood mean anything? is it original or a modification?"

Yes MrTube,

The wood is two pieces on each side laminated and the bed bolts go through it and the frame. It is there to provide a frame-like extension for the bed. At the back of the wood pieces, where they are approx 1 1/2" square, they are covered with sheet metal. As for the stainless parts they were painted black to match the fenders, and the bodies were green on commercial vehicles. The biggest clue for a '31 wide bed/32 standard bed is the Ford name is not on the tailgate. The only Ford tailgate that is unnamed to my knowledge.

Picture for reference

HF09_r260_01.jpg

Last edited by Milton; 12-11-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
MrTube

The truck looks A lot like the picture Milton posted. I was surprised to find the roof was not metal when I looked closer.

I will be ordering new bed sills from Snyders. How terrible are these to change out and can anyone recommend any procedures or tips? I will be replacing the rear spring soon as well, perhaps a good time to do the sills as well.

The Bed has wood planks for the floor, I assume not original as there seems to be a metal floor listed for it?

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me. I would not have been able to do any of this without everyones help.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Philip McCarty

For Wide Bed Parts, contact Mac Hils in Moberly, Mo. He makes the right bed has parts, and a book on beds. Looks and sounds like you have a WB. Good luck
Philip McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Milton

"The Bed has wood planks for the floor, I assume not original as there seems to be a metal floor listed for it?"

You are correct in that assumption. There were 1x oak planks covered by ribbed sheet metal with approx. two dozen carriage bolts through the metal and the gap between the wood planks. A flat washer was used to bridge the gap where the bolts went between the planks. Also the planks had a square cut out for the rear spring perch and U-bolts.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote