Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #21
slackcat

Default Re: Should I buy a Model A or T ????

Along with my '29 Model A I also have a '26 T speedster. Like everyone says, the A is a car but the T is a creature all it's own. My speedster is hard to get into, has 3 pedals and none are a clutch or brake, steering is unforgiving, no leg room, no speedometer, challenging, and the funnest thing in the world to drive. Wouldn't trade it on a bet.
slackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #22
Ed in Maine

All the comments above are great. I to have a Model A and a Model B. But there was a whole generation of people most of whom are all gone that knew the Model T inside and out. For me, I am glad I have shared their experience by owning my 1914. I love giving my neighbors children rides on our country dirt roads here in Maine. I do strive to stay off the high speed roads. To me, the steering and brakes are not suitable at speeds over 40 mph. By all means, buy a T and have as much fun as the rest of us. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
nhusa

After reading all he responses why not just purchase a 1966 corvette be over it
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #24
ctvpa

I have owned both, and enjoy both. But as so many here have stated, two totally different cars. You must find someone local to ride in it, and maybe drive it. I enjoy the difference, and found it fun. I really enjoyed when someone would ask to drive the car, and I did not tell them the difference. Every time they would depress the clutch we would lurch forward and stall. I would have them release the hand break, then have fun.
If you are going local, the T is fine. More than 75 miles, a trailer is better. Many will fight me, but realistically taking a T on modern highways, people have no consideration as they did a few years ago.
Also, your breaks are in the transmission, so if you break a band, u joint, drive shaft; you are free wheeling. A friend dumped a wedding party on the way to the church.
So be sure to test it out. Have the person crank start it, if they can't, often means it is not timed or tuned well. Also review the dangers of cranking, and how to do it correct. Personally I think it's fun.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
FRANK PKNY

When all said and done your the only one to make this choice! Test drive each first , then decide. I love them all I own V8's and T's and have owned A's My choice to run around town is my 1915 T completely stock. (although thinking about rocky mountain brakes) . Model T's when used cautiously are a blast to drive, one must understand the sound of the engine, driving very carefully, always thinking ahead. If I want a longer trip at better safe speed my V-8 comes out. Sunday morning coffee in town when the sun is out the T is my choice. Adults and kids love to see it parked outside of DD on Sunday mornings. People stop and take photo's , DD should pay me, however they don't. Peoples enjoyment is my reward.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
fordman67

there is just nothing better than a t. I am probably somewhat of a minority here. I AM ONLY 36 and have had some fast cars,big trucks and everything in between. I drove an a and liked it. It was cool and fun.BUT the first time I drove a model T...man oh man...I just cant think about anything but the day I can drive mine.I first built a speedster and wish I still had it but it wasnt family friendly. I really hope my tudor is done very soon(i.e.in the next year)
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #27
Dick Webber

When you want to go for a ride in your A, just get in and go. With the T you sort of have to reason with it, go through the ritual and convince it that it should run today.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #28
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Webber View Post
When you want to go for a ride in your A, just get in and go. With the T you sort of have to reason with it, go through the ritual and convince it that it should run today.

I almost spilled my morning coffee when I read that!

It is true!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #29
Steve Jelf

Those who think a T is only for short trips should look at this:

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/...=ttyoder-users
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #30
Ed in Maine

I love all the comments from you guys that have both. I thought that I was in the minority for having a 31 and a 14. I couldn't part with either of them. There was a whole generation of people who experienced the Model T when they were new and now they are gone. I feel honored to have had the experience to maintain and drive one. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #31
fordman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Webber View Post
and there in lies the issue. people these days dont know just how great they have it.
i have a customer with a beautiful 16 touring. the issue is he is in his seventies and it is not electric start. i can make it run everytime and it starts as good as i could ever imagine. I wish he would just give it to me
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #32
slackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jelf View Post
Yes, drive one and experience the difference. Wherever you drive, you are your own parade; wherever you park, you are your own car show. But watch out, they can be addictive. Many folks, after getting their first one, just have to have another.

On a practical level, as others have pointed out, the A is pretty much a modern car. The T is a horseless carriage. Some folks require the modern speed of an A. Some of us appreciate life in the slow lane and find cruising at 30-35 mph relaxing and enjoyable. Many more T's were made than A's, so buying and fixing a T generally costs less.

For fun, here's a famous bit of writing about the Model T: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG74.html

And here are a couple of T videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWn...tpDgCPJXbFCA6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21k8...tpDgCPJXbFCA6w

thanks for the videos.
slackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #33
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Should I buy a Model A or T ????

Depends on where you will be driving - how much patience you & your passenger(s)
have - if you like to work on your vehicle during a trip ....

DEFINITELY take a few drives in a Model T as has been suggested

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #34
Royce P

I drive the Model T's more often than my Model A because they are more fun.
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #35
Gary loves Fords

I have a 1909 and a 1927 Model T Touring cars currently. I've had 9 model T's in the last few years. They are, without a doubt, the biggest bang for the buck that's out there. You actually have to drive a Model T, to get addicted to them and believe me you will. Yes, they are not quite as fast as a Model A and it takes 20 minutes to get used to the planatary transmission, but not difficult to drive, just different. I've also had a few Model A's in my time. Yes, they are more modern to drive than a T and I love them too. I sold a beautiful 30 A roadster, like a dummy and just bought a beautiful 31 Model A Deluxe Phaeton which I absolutely love. But owning a Model T is something you cannot discribe to anyone who has not driven one. I drive my 1909 T all over, even on busy streets at rush hour and treat her almost like a daily driver. I love the attention I get and also the rush, as they don't like to stop fast. You just have to think a little further ahead, then if your driving an A, but do yourself a favor and get someone to let you drive theirs and you will soon be addicted to these wonderful automobiles.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #36
nhusa

I will repeat myself--
A model T is a horseless carriage and a Model A is an antique auto - they are completely different.

I love to drive the 1919 T I have. I love the look on peoples face when I get in front of it and turn the crank to get it started.

The A is a cool car and easy to drive when compared to the T. The A looks like an Al Capone vehicle and you can almost see a guy with a machine gun standing on the running board.

Driving the T is an adventure. Driving the A is just another trip in and old auto.