Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
buddridge

Default Deluxe or Standard

This is probably going to sound stupid to some of you long time Barners, but I'll ask anyway, what the hell. Just bought a 30 roadster that is I believe a 20-25 year old resto. My question is do I have to keep it in a Deluxe mode(presently), or can I persue a change to Standard configuration. Vin # indicates it was an Aug-Sept 1930 manufacture. Is there anything in the Vin# that dictates a Deluxe vs Standard? Thanks for your help. Bud
buddridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Deluxe or Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddridge View Post
This is probably going to sound stupid to some of you long time Barners, but I'll ask anyway, what the hell. Just bought a 30 roadster that is I believe a 20-25 year old resto. My question is do I have to keep it in a Deluxe mode(presently), or can I persue a change to Standard configuration. You can do whatever you want...it is your car. If it were me, I would keep it in the original state of what it is now. Vin # indicates it was an Aug-Sept 1930 manufacture. Is there anything in the Vin# that dictates a Deluxe vs Standard? No. Thanks for your help. Bud
Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Vin-tin

Some one correct me if i'm wrong. Model A's were given a sequential numerical serial number that is stamped into the engine block, and also on the frame. This number has nothing to do with body stile or standard vs deluxe.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

No, nothing in the VIN to indicate either or even the body style. Generally the standards had the spare wheel on the rear, no cowl lights, higher windshield and top assy. and black vinyl upholstery. Otherwise the bodies are identical.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Odds are it was a standard converted to a deluxe when it was restored.
The only ways to tell what it was is to be lucky to have original paperwork or be able to trace it back and confirm it. If someone knows what they were doing in the conversion then you would never know what it was from the factory.

Does it have dual side mounts?

Like it has been said, it is your car do with it as you please.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Here is our standard roadster. Deluxe roadsters have always been the preferred model by most. Lots of standard models have been deluxified. Standard roadsters may be gaining some popularity, I see one now and then but use to never see a standard model restored. We prefer the Standard roadster and like the cleaner lines and taller windshield and top. The standard model is easier to get in and out of, it has more head room and is comfortable.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
This is probably going to sound stupid to some of you long time Barners, but I'll ask anyway, what the hell. Just bought a 30 roadster that is I believe a 20-25 year old resto. My question is do I have to keep it in a Deluxe mode(presently), or can I persue a change to Standard configuration. Vin # indicates it was an Aug-Sept 1930 manufacture. Is there anything in the Vin# that dictates a Deluxe vs Standard? Thanks for your help. Bud
Saying you painted your car red so it would go faster would be stupid! Asking about car trims is not.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Some one correct me if i'm wrong. Model A's were given a sequential numerical serial number that is stamped into the engine block, and also on the frame. This number has nothing to do with body stile or standard vs deluxe.
You are correct the # is stamped when the engine is complete and only gives an estimate of when a car was assembled. Once the engine and chassis is mated to the frame it is stamped as well.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
buddridge ..................
Your biggest problem would be in finding the correct top irons. They are different between Deluxe and Standard. Also the windshield and windshield posts are different. The Standards are taller.
MIKE
I see, now, that you do have the Standard top irons.
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 02-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Steve Wastler

Maybe it's camera angle, but it looks like Purdy has a deluxe windscreen with standard irons. Gives it that street rod angle to the top.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Patrick L.

The only way I'm aware of to tell the difference is the windshield height, like a couple folks mentioned. I'm another with a 'deluxed' standard.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Roadster Rich

I notice the cream colored top on Purdy's standard. Did any standard Roadsters come from the factory with anything but a black top? Again, anyone should do what they like with the car, I am just wondering for my car if this was an original color option.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Maybe it's camera angle, but it looks like Purdy has a deluxe windscreen with standard irons. Gives it that street rod angle to the top.
It must be the angle. The windshield is the taller painted black standard version.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
John LaVoy

I lean towards the standard version. Being 6'2" tall I like all the headroom I can get in a Model A. But like folks have said DeLuxe seems to be more popular. But it's your car have it like you want it, just drive it!
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster Rich View Post
I notice the cream colored top on Purdy's standard. Did any standard Roadsters come from the factory with anything but a black top? Again, anyone should do what they like with the car, I am just wondering for my car if this was an original color option.
I'm not sure if lighter colored tops were offered for the standard roadster from Ford when they were new. My top is an old replacement top that I bought on ebay for less than three hundred dollars. A new one from LeBarron Bonny was over eighteen hundred dollares at the time. The bows are original and we think that the old canvas top gives her character. Here is a better view of the standard windshield when I was in the process of the fix up.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
blgitn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Saying you painted your car red so it would go faster would be stupid! Asking about car trims is not.

Wait, wait;... you mean red paint WON'T make it go faster?

What about chrome head bolts and yellow plug wires?

Last edited by blgitn; 08-28-2014 at 11:55 AM.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Here is my red september 29. It use to be a deluxe model with cowl band and cowl lights. It caught on fire and burned in the driveway in 1962. When I rebuilt it in 2006 and brought it back to life , I used a standard fordor cowl. Not sure if red makes it faster. Its purdy fast!!! Walt Dawg is holding on for dear life. Purdy Swoft at the throttle, blasting up a hill on the indian trail.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 02-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I thought that's why fire trucks were painted red.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #19
Steve Wastler

Hey Purty, must been camera angle, looks right in that shot. It doesn't help I view mostly via my phone, crappy I phone 4 won't let me enlarge pics from Fordbarn. I hope to have time one day to get my roadster looking as good, for now multi colored and top irons with no material, I run a top boot with bows down, looke like its got a real top!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

Thanks Steve. Good idea with the top boot!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I thought that's why fire trucks were painted red.
When I was a vol Fireman in NY we had green trucks and the other departments would tease us by always asking how long until our trucks would be ripe.