Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #21
ronn

Default Re: ok new old 29 roadster...... preservation?

thank you Birdman. yes, I am thinking to preserve what is there, knowing the cowls and qtrs can always be redone down the road. The backrest cushion in the rumble has been redone and I am considering redoing it once again, if I can find a more suitable material, that would come close to matching the original.
It appears to be a black grainy material, nothing like the shiney black vinyl in there now.

that area of PA is just wonderful in my opinion. You should see the 250 yr old cabin the fella I bought this from lives in. Restored to the 11's and stunning. It was moved from another location and fully restored about 20 yrs ago.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #22
rotorwrench

There have always been two schools of thought on antique & classic cars. The most expensive and time consuming is the total disassembly restoration. The other is the slower and less expensive repair as you go driver type car. Driver cars won't win at the big car shows but at least the car can be enjoyed while the restoration/repair is ongoing. Model A and T cars can be disassembled pretty quickly since they are much more simple than the later cars. A lot depends on the condition of the vehicle when purchased. If it isn't drivable and needs major repair than that is getting into the realm of a complete restoration.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #23
Keith True

Ronn,your situation is a little different because you know cars.I think your decision will be more of an informed choice.What I have seen over the years have been people buying a car,with good intentions,to restore it correctly.Taking them apart is no problem,I've seen dozens of them that way.Cars that were perfectly good drivers taken down for a complete restoration Rodders get the bodies,I get the running gear.Then there are the guys that will only do every detail just right,and stay active with it,but they are still talking about the car they are restoring 20 years later.Those guys tend to die with the cars unfinished.A man here bought a nice 68 C in 1968.Nice car,he drove it until he retired in 1976.He took it apart,and wanted every part,piece,fastener,color,finish,as it was when it was new.The last time I saw the car it was painted and upholstered,with the body hanging above the finished chassis.He died in 1990 with a car he never finished.I got the engine in 1993,a street rodder friend got the body,the fenders went on my 30 pickup.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #24
Incognito-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
thank you Birdman. yes, I am thinking to preserve what is there, knowing the cowls and qtrs can always be redone down the road. The backrest cushion in the rumble has been redone and I am considering redoing it once again, if I can find a more suitable material, that would come close to matching the original.
It appears to be a black grainy material, nothing like the shiney black vinyl.
The original rumble material is Spanish Brown colonial grain artificial leather. Bill Sturm had this reproduced years ago, not sure if there is any left or how close other replacements are.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #25
ronn

Ive actually seen that Incog- question is, why does this look black and original?

car was ordered in black. the pin striping is interesting, in that it looks very amateurish.......
Old 10-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #26
Incognito-A

Artificial leather aka pyroxylin changes color and tends to dry out and crack as it ages. If the material is crimped into the metal channel on the seat cushion then it’s likely original. Of course anything could have been done through the years.

Post some pictures!
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #27
burner31

At this point I am interested in getting it running, returning whatever is wrong to original and will never enter any competition.

And there is your answer, the rest will come in due course
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #28
ronn

Incognito- you are correct. going to be hard to find something to match this. the spanish brown looks nothing like this. I did see a sample of that about 3 yrs ago.

would almost be easier to match a black cloth type material.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #29
Ted Duke

I bought a 1929 Rdstr PU in 1971 and found it was really rusted out, and parts missing. I should have stripped it for parts and junked it. Unfortunately, I started a slow restoration back in the day when parts were hard to find. And I was in the USN. Then it sat out in an barn for years. Finally, with the help of my sons it is finally back running, licensed and insured. AND it is a resurrection, NOT a restoration. It is far from correct in many ways, but will be enjoyable.

POINT I am trying to make:
IF I had found another running one and "preserved" it, I would have had much more enjoyment and so would my three sons and two daughters and probably most of the grandchildren.

IMHO-Fix what needs fixing and DRIVE it!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:40 AM   #30
ronn

thank you everyone-really appreciate your input.

will just tinker with her the way she is and be working on the mechanics for now.

many valid opinions that I will listen to.