Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default y-block aluminum manifold clamps

I was just looking at Mummerts web site trying to find a price on his aluminum intake clamps, but could not find them on his price sheet. Before I call just to get a price, I was wondering if anyone here knows what the price for them is, and has anyone used them.- Thanks ----Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: y-block aluminum manifold clamps

Did you ever get an answer Jim? There is a similar thread on THE OTHER FORUM ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

Default Re: y-block aluminum manifold clamps

Kultulz, yes and no. I started the thread on the y block forever forum. never found a price for the Mummert ones, found some Blue Thunder ones on ebay for $46.00. I bought them, and will see if I like them for my current avatar. I am changing the Offy 3x2 intake for an Edelbrock 3x2 #573, as it performes much better. I am also changing the carbs , making the center carb an ECG 6 with the larger throttle blades. if I do not like the clamps on the Edelbrock intake, I can use them on something else.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:04 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: y-block aluminum manifold clamps

Then you saw the illustration of the MUMMERT retainers I posted. It listed different ones for the OFFY and EDEL

Let us know if you go that way.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
Alaska Jim

Default Re: y-block aluminum manifold clamps

Kultulz, The current offy intake on my avatar is using stock steel clamps. I wanted to get away from them on the Edelbrock manifold, to keep from ending up with gouge marks on the aluminum manifold. the used Edelbrock had quite a few gouges in it when I bought it. my brother the machinist dressed it up so it does not look bad. hoping to avoid gouges by using solid aluminum clamps. we will see if the off-set on the blue thunder clamps will be a problem. one thing Ted Eaton mentioned on the other site , is that there are different size stock clamps depending on year and application. this is something I did not know. not many y-blocks, or flatheads, have survived the scrap drives of the '90's up here. ( or any thing else that was more than 10 years old at the time, and most of the old cars went to the crusher. very sad ).
Old 01-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: y-block aluminum manifold clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post

Kultulz, The current offy intake on my avatar is using stock steel clamps. I wanted to get away from them on the Edelbrock manifold, to keep from ending up with gouge marks on the aluminum manifold. the used Edelbrock had quite a few gouges in it when I bought it. my brother the machinist dressed it up so it does not look bad. hoping to avoid gouges by using solid aluminum clamps.
That is what would concern me is the gouge markings (and it hurts re-sale value). I could not find in period cataloging if E-CODE intakes used steel or alum clamps. I need an earlier period catalog.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 01-29-2020, 02:42 AM   #7
KULTULZ

From THE OTHER FORUM-

SOURCE - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic150057.aspx

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 01-29-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

That is what would concern me is the gouge markings (and it hurts re-sale value). I could not find in period cataloging if E-CODE intakes used steel or alum clamps. I need an earlier period catalog.
Seems OEM were all steel -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake Manifold Clamps _8.jpg (20.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Intake Manifold Clamps _5.jpg (15.8 KB, 8 views)

- DISCLAIMER -