Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat

My 1939 Ford Deluxe with Rumble Seat has just been acquired by me and I am a real novice to this new hobby. My previous experience was with home made Go Carts using lawn mower engines as the Soap Box Derby was getting a lot of attention then, and I had my first car a 1951 Chevy Coupe and a 1974 VW Beetle. This Flathead will run, just not stop so we are undertaking a complete brake rebuild using new master cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake shoes. It is a slow process as one wheel had 2 lug nuts which refused to budge and had to be burned off.

A couple of things I noted while inspecting the vehicle closely.

1. The transverse Spring rear of the axle and forward of the front wheels has a metal cover over it and has a grease fitting on it. The Shop Manual or Service Handbook which I have implies this improvement was made in 1940.

2. The front shocks have been replaced with Tube Type Shocks but the mounting plate is from the original shock absorber.

3. There are no rear shocks that I can find nor any evidence where they might have been attached.

4. On the front of the hood, the 1939 had a FORD emblem on the passenger side of the hood and a DELUXE emblem on the driver's side of the hood. Mine has a FORD on each side of the hood.

5. I am thinking that perhaps I have a 1940 Standard model rather than a 1939 Deluxe model? Any opinions on this?
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote