Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
P.S.

Default Anyone ran one of the "new" Sacramento Vintage Ford carburetors?

Plagued by carb troubles for months, and currently struggling to get by with a "professionally rebuilt" Zenith that runs way too rich, I'm beginning to consider a sincere grasp at straws.

Has anyone bought and ran one of the "new" Zenith carburetors from Sac Vintage?

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_sear...r%20Zenith%20A

How did it run for you? Any troubles?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Anyone ran one of the "new" Sacramento Vintage Ford carburetors?

Not sure where Dad picked up his "new" Zenith but when I tried it out on my coupe I found it a bit wanting. My carb would pull hard right through second gear, this one seemed to break up and sputter a lot. It settled out in third and purred nicely at idle, but so far I could not make it happy with the hardest working gear on my car, 2nd.
I'll experiment with it and compare the jet sizes later, for now I put the old one back on and everythings peachey again.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
steve s

I can't answer your question but I can share your pain. I too went thru countless "professional" rebuilds, including some that added the ugly external balancing hose for air filter use. Finally, I coughed up the bucks for one of the brand new Mark reproductions of the Zenith 1, which I assume the carb you are asking about is a modification of. After returning the first one because it refused to run, the second one was well worth the money--I drove it for several years. My problems were gone, EXCEPT for vapor lock, which eventually drove me to the final solution, which you might also want to consider:

This is a more modern--1980's vintage--Zenith made/modified for the Model A. Vapor lock problems are gone and it's impossible to stall it on a hard stop. And, it's balanced internally for air filter use, although it's not easy to hang an air filter on it. ALso, need to modify fuel line or connections for pipe thread fitting.

Of course, many Ford Barners will insist that your stock Zenith would work great, if only you had it correctly rebuilt, like THEY did--and it will never vapor lock--and it will never stall.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
BillLee/Chandler, TX

Oh, boy! Now the fight begins!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX View Post

Bill,

I do not understand...why should ther be a "fight"?

People here are just relating their experineces with these new carbs which is kind of nice to know.

Personally, I would not buy a "new" carb such as these as I have had not one bit of trouble with the originals for which I like to use and I can thank Mr. Ron Rude of Quincy, California for his expertise on rebuilding them for me.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX View Post
Why would there be a fight? P.S. asked about the Reproduced Z and so far has received two cogent responses.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
leadpot

After many carb problems, rebuilds etc I bought one like Steve S. Works great & no further problems, am happy with the purchase. I would like to have a good working original but suspect they are hard to find these days. Most of the originals have probably been rebuilt more than once in their lifetime by an "expert". Know there are many competent rebuilders out there but finding one is sometimes difficult.
leadpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Wick

I was going thru a pile of Zenith parts over the weekend picking and sorting. Something I found,(these are used parts) was the difference in the Gross jet fuel openings where the gas flowed into the jet,some were alot bigger then others.

On the Tilly's same thing with the needle and seat.Some of the needles and seats were larger the others.

Will this make a difference in how fast the bowl fills up with fuel.....its possible,but would it effect preformance say in a hard 2nd gear pull?
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
P.S.

Thank you for the replies, guys.

Thank you Steve for the info. I did read the thread about those carbs. It may be a consideration, but this particular question has to do with the new carbs available from a dealer within driving distance for me (Sacramento Vintage Ford).

The deal is, I own 3 carburetors for the Model A, and only 1 car. Not one of the 3 carbs works right. The car came with a Tillotson that ran OK, then just stopped. Cleaning it out had no affect, so I sent it to the Tillotson carb "guru" for a pricey complete rebuild. Rebuilder said one of the jets broke. It came back "rebuilt" and wouldn't run at all. I sent it back to him and it will be a long time before it is back.

I own 2 Zenith carbs. One was purchased "rebuilt" from one of the gurus here on Fordbarn and didn't run at all. The other Zenith was purchased from someone on ebay that is supposed to be the Zenith "guru" and it does run, but way too rich and not smooth like the Tillotson did (when it was working). At least the car is on the road with Zenith #2, but the sooty plugs and 10 MPG just sucks. My goal was to have one good working carb on the car and one good working spare under the back seat (along with the good spare distributor). I have one mediocre working carb and no spares.

I sent the dead "newly rebuilt" Zenith to a friend but it could be months before that is back. The friend is known here, and had incredible information and left me with the impression that he is most competent. No question the carb will come back working well, and I will be indebted to him.

However, this whole thing has really got me frustrated. When one buys a car part for their modern car and it doesn't work, one returns it to the store and gets another or a refund. That isn't practical or always possible with a carb rebuild job. What, do you send it back and ask them to put your old parts back in and refund your money? How many times must you send it back and forth until it is right? So, I wanted to know if the Sac Vintage sold carbs work well. If some of you guys have good luck with them, then I'd consider going over there and buying one also. Then, if it doesn't work, I can just take it right back as you would any other part for your modern car.

I'm just so sick and tired of the subpar parts available for the Model A, and really frustrated with the vendor attitude "well, if you check this, adjust that, change that, then it will work", I just want to buy something that works. No messing around, no Bravo Sierra! A local vendor is a must. Having to deal with someone on the phone vs. standing directly in front of them isn't appealing. If the part is defective, I'd rather be standing in front of the person who sold it to me and have the ability to exchange or receive a full refund.

Most of you guys are "car guys", but I am not. I just want stuff to work. And, I want "experts" to be honest and to not sent out products that they know aren't perfect.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I was going thru a pile of Zenith parts over the weekend picking and sorting. Something I found,(these are used parts) was the difference in the Gross jet fuel openings where the gas flowed into the jet,some were alot bigger then others.

On the Tilly's same thing with the needle and seat.Some of the needles and seats were larger the others.

Will this make a difference in how fast the bowl fills up with fuel.....its possible,but would it effect preformance say in a hard 2nd gear pull?
Wick

I think that the smaller opening would have to make a difference. I think that it would have the same effect as haveing the float set too low. This could cause the engine to be starving for more fuel. I've found that a too low float setting will cause spitting , back firing and loss of power.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
ford31

my 31 has the side bowl would not want to part with that,has electric shutoff also would not part with, have not touched or adjusted carb in 5 years, when i aquired pickup, i do run pure fuel never any additves, my fuel shut off is on a switch can run carb dry by turning switch off dont do that anymore,it does need a warm up period in cold weather,maybe a minute or so
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Plagued by carb troubles for months, and currently struggling to get by with a "professionally rebuilt" Zenith that runs way too rich, I'm beginning to consider a sincere grasp at straws.

Has anyone bought and ran one of the "new" Zenith carburetors from Sac Vintage?

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_sear...r%20Zenith%20A

How did it run for you? Any troubles?
$425 is a lot to pay for that kind of carb
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
$425 is a lot to pay for that kind of carb

I agree. However, my frustration with this has reached its plateau. I need a good working carb and a good spare. And, if writing a big check is required, so be it. I just want this chapter of "Model A frustration" to be behind me!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

Doesn't Sac Vintage have a weekly "gathering"?? If so, as you're within driving distance, drive over and make some in person inquiries of those attending, or ask Sac Vintage for some referrals of folks who have purchased and are using one. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Tom Endy

Rebuildable Zeniths are still around at swap meets for less than $50. If the castings are not damaged they can be rebuilt for little cost and will perform well if properly rebuilt. I will admit they can at times be frustrating. For that reason I will not sell a Zenith I rebuilt unless I have run it on my Model A for a few days for 20 or 30 miles. Then I offer a full money back guarantee because many times the customer is unhappy because it does not perform properly on his car because there are problems with his car, not the Zenith. If they bring it back I install it on my car and take them for a ride in it. If they still want their money back I return it.

When rebuilding a Zenith you cannot overlook anything. Go to www.ocmafc.com. On the menu at left scroll to "Tech Articles" and click. It will bring up a new menu. At the top is my name, click on it and it will bring up a series of articles. Scroll to the one on Zenith restoration. The process described is what I do to each Zenith I restore. The process is tedious and time consuming, however, you cannot skip any of it if you want the Zenith to perform properly. The tedious parts are flow checking and resizing the four jets and setting the float level and getting it to hold.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
P.S.

Thank you Tom.

I previously read your article, it is very well done. It also made it clear that this is something I shouldn't tackle myself. I do not possess the mechanical aptitude for such things. Though, for most of the car's refurbishing, I have learned many new mechanical skills. Luckily, the thing our car needed most when we bought it was electrical, and that is my area of expertise. The electrical systems are absolutely perfect now, and done with the highest regard and scrutiny.

It's very simple- I just want a carb that works right and has some warranty so that if it doesn't, the seller is close enough to visit in person and make it right. Two carbs purchased from "experts", including one highly regarded as 'the' expert here on Fordbarn were highly disappointing. I have discovered that people here on Fordbarn are generally nice, and most have very good information, but buying from someone here on Fordbarn is a big mistake. Even some "experts" here will sell you something that doesn't work and then expect you to know how to fix it yourself.

The problem isn't the car. A borrowed carb runs absolutely perfect. However, the owner of the carb will not sell it, I need to find my own. And I have reached the end of my patience with "experts" to rebuild them for hire. I cannot put into words how frustrated I am with this. I wish to purchase a new carb that works right and be done with it. Therefore, wondering if anyone has bought the new Zenith from Sac Vintage, and how it worked for them. Good or bad, input is appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Chuck Sea/Tac

Steve S that carb came from Port Townsend Wa and cost just over $200??
Chuck
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
barnstuf

The only prime source for the reproduction Zenith that duplicates the original is MARK AUTO. It has been my experience the newly made carburetors are assembled but not tested when sent to their various dealer sources. Most perform as they should, but there are varying problems with some. These problems should all be fixable. I have had two that performed beautifully unless topped out in second gear when they would "stumble" or on the open road in high gear would "stumble at around 45-50 mph. The cure for both of these was to redrill the hole in the side of the secondary well which was a hair under specs in size. Your problem and your cure may differ.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you Tom.

I previously read your article, it is very well done. It also made it clear that this is something I shouldn't tackle myself. I do not possess the mechanical aptitude for such things. Though, for most of the car's refurbishing, I have learned many new mechanical skills. Luckily, the thing our car needed most when we bought it was electrical, and that is my area of expertise. The electrical systems are absolutely perfect now, and done with the highest regard and scrutiny.

It's very simple- I just want a carb that works right and has some warranty so that if it doesn't, the seller is close enough to visit in person and make it right. Two carbs purchased from "experts", including one highly regarded as 'the' expert here on Fordbarn were highly disappointing. I have discovered that people here on Fordbarn are generally nice, and most have very good information, but buying from someone here on Fordbarn is a big mistake. Even some "experts" here will sell you something that doesn't work and then expect you to know how to fix it yourself.

The problem isn't the car. A borrowed carb runs absolutely perfect. However, the owner of the carb will not sell it, I need to find my own. And I have reached the end of my patience with "experts" to rebuild them for hire. I cannot put into words how frustrated I am with this. I wish to purchase a new carb that works right and be done with it. Therefore, wondering if anyone has bought the new Zenith from Sac Vintage, and how it worked for them. Good or bad, input is appreciated.
Give Mr. Ron Rude a call...He is in Quincy, CA...Close by to you and is Very dependable...530-283-0768...OR have Mr. Endy do you one up right...very dependable also...both are member of the Model A Fourm here on Ford Barn (as you may know)!

Pluck
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
P.S.

Thanks, Steve.

I'm not sure that either of the gentlemen you mentioned are close enough to me to visit in person. As mentioned, I am absolutely at wit's end with this, and no longer trust anyone whom I would have to deal through the mail.

I'm sure Mr. Endy knows what he is doing. I did send him a PM earlier this morning with an inquiry, but have not yet received his response. If I were to try one more mail-order carb, I wouldn't even consider tying one from anyone else but Mr. Endy.

With that said, I'd still much rather deal with a vendor that is within convenient driving distance. I've been 'burned' 3 times already, including by one highly regarded Zenith rebuilder here on the Fordbarn. At some point, one must draw a line. That is what I have done here.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
steve s

Welcome to the world of aftermarket auto parts. It's not a pretty sight. I remember well exactly how you feel--you assume that when you buy something new it will be right or the seller will stand behind it; sadly, it ain't necessarily so, and I'm not sure that your odds are really that much better with a dealer than with an individual seller.

The dealer I bought my first Mark carb from was VERY reluctant to take it back when my car wouldn't run with it on; he said he had a no-return policy on carb because there were so many possible sources of trouble besides the carb. He insisted that the fault must be with my car although it ran ok with other carbs. Finally, when I raised a stink in front of other customers at our swap meet, he relented. The second one he sent me, had a sticky-tight throttle shaft. I worked it back and forth by hand a few hundred times to loosen it up and never had a problem (exept for aforementioned).

On the other hand, early on in my adventure I bought a brand new Tilly X from Snyders. It was a leaker from the get go, and Snyders gave me my money back with no questions asked.

You probably feel you have gone above-and-beyond by having three carbs, so you sort of deserve that one of them be a good one. I don't know what par for the course is, but I believe that I have about 10, only 2 or 3 of which would I actually expect to work useably.

Several years ago I wrote up an article for our club's newsletter about my restoration saga. My subtitle was "Nothing fits". I think that the situation has actually gotten a bit better in recent years: There is actually some quite good stuff now available, like the Aries mufflers. But, there's a reason that experienced restorers all strongly advise you to, if at all possible, find some original parts and make them work, no matter how beat up they look.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 02-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Steve S that carb came from Port Townsend Wa and cost just over $200??
Chuck
That's right. The receipt goes with the carb. Price may have gone up since then.

Steve
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
Lawrie

One easy way to help get your carb set up RIGHT is to use an air fuel ratio meter,
these are avail at most speed supliers(sumit racing etc), this will allow you to get the fuel mixture set up as easy as ,
You can also set up a video camera on the A/F meter while driving to have a poor mans data logging.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
P.S.

Pluck- I did hear back from Mr. Endy. He has no carbs to sell and mentioned that he prefers to deal with local buyers and not through the mail. So, we're back to square one.

Steve S- Thank you for sharing. Yes, you obviously do know exactly how I feel!

The initial part of the restoration actually went rather well. Most of the original parts were able to be reused after straightening, machining, or whatever. The few repro parts needed fit well and worked great. It's just mind-blowing to me how people sell rebuilt items that they must clearly know will not work for the customer. Then, when trouble is reported, they just expect the customer to work through it, or keep sending it back over and over (and paying shipping). Another lesson learned.

You certainly have an advantage of experience. I'm right at the beginning of this learning curve. And it's pretty steep.

Lawrie- Thank you for the input. I don't need anything to tell me that the current carb is running too rich. Sooty plugs and 10 miles per gallon are all I need! If I clean/gap the plugs then drive to town and back (about 10 miles), the plugs are already sooty. Sure, it has great power, especially on the hills, but at what cost?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
SteveB31

If you are interested, you might try one of our rebuilt Zenith Carbs, Unlike anyone else I know, besides our thorough rebuild, we actually run ALL of our carbs about 10 miles on a stop and go, up and downhill city and highway routine on the same perfect running car, to be sure they work properly. If you want, Email us your name and address, and I will send you one to try. If you dont like it, you can send it back. If you like it, send me a check. We build hundreds every year, and becuase we test drive every one, we are confident that you will like it. Just a thought.

email me at [email protected] if you want to.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
P.S.

Wow! Very generous and kind offer, Steve. Email sent. Thank you so very much for chiming in.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
If you are interested, you might try one of our rebuilt Zenith Carbs, Unlike anyone else I know, besides our thorough rebuild, we actually run ALL of our carbs about 10 miles on a stop and go, up and downhill city and highway routine on the same perfect running car, to be sure they work properly. If you want, Email us your name and address, and I will send you one to try. If you dont like it, you can send it back. If you like it, send me a check. We build hundreds every year, and becuase we test drive every one, we are confident that you will like it. Just a thought.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
And who said there ain't no Santa Clauses!

Great gesture Steve!

Pluck
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
redmodelt

It was stated that it's running rich and only getting 10MPG.
What condition is the motor in?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Are you using the GVA and setting the spark correctly?
Has the timing been checked?
If the GVA is open too far to compensate for a vacuum leak then you could be running too rich which would carbon up the plugs and the motor would be flooding. I find it hard to think that having tried that many carbs that there aren't other problems.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
31 Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
That's right. The receipt goes with the carb. Price may have gone up since then.

Steve
Steve, can you give some details on the air filter fitting issue with this carb - have you been able to get any air filter to fit?

Can you also comment on the modification to the gasoline line fitting - did you just need a different size/thread nut on the end of your line?

Thanks,
Paul
31 Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #30
P.S.

The car runs fantastic with a loaner carb on it.

The current carb runs too rich even with GAV completely closed.

No vacuum leaks.

Timing is right on the money.

Using the GAV? I have to keep it closed so it doesn't go from too rich to way too rich.

Solutions are in the works. Stand by for a report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
It was stated that it's running rich and only getting 10MPG.
What condition is the motor in?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Are you using the GVA and setting the spark correctly?
Has the timing been checked?
If the GVA is open too far to compensate for a vacuum leak then you could be running too rich which would carbon up the plugs and the motor would be flooding. I find it hard to think that having tried that many carbs that there aren't other problems.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Stand by for a report.
Standing by!!! I wonder how many others have carb problems and don't realize it. They just figure that the A should only get 10-15 MPG.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #32
Jazzjr

I Run with my GAV completely closed off after warm up, very seldom do I open it at all.
I have rebuilt many Zeniths, And Never had Problems, They Have to be Clean, inside and out, Bead Blasted, check for Cracks, and make sure the 2 Halves are not Warped. Run a Tap and Chase all threads with right Tap, all hidden passageways cleaned out. If you read Tom Endys Carb Rebuild Pages, You Can do it Your self.
One of the best books I ever Bought, The Model A Ford Carburetors, By Paul Moller. Mine is Copyrighted 1972, and inside the front cover is marked $4, I think I bought it then 40 years ago, It is still available today.

One of the Main Problems is air Leaks around the Throttle Plate Shaft, most people do not put in new Bushings and Shaft. The extra air coming in their will mess up the best of Rebuilds.
Years ago I put together a Zenith using a Top Half Early 1928, Marked H (for Holley) and Ran a Zenith 2 Bottom. Ran Like a Charm. I do find that using Original Jets that are Numbered work best of all.

If You Read, and can Comprehend, You Can Do it Yourself. Just keep Trying and you will get it Done Right, and It will work.

Last edited by Jazzjr; 02-05-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
...Zenith that runs way too rich,
Running rich is usually caused by the GAV not seating properly or the compensation jet too large. since you already have the carb and I assume the builder of the carb does not beleive you and won't take it back. Why not try to fix it yourself, what do you have to lose?

-The Gas Adjusting Valve provides a manual adjustment for additional gasoline to the Cap Jet, bypassing the metering effect of the Compensator Jet. The carburetor was designed slightly lean to allow for high altitude driving and, with the GAV, is able to provide additional fuel as needed. This extra fuel is normally needed when the vehicle is cold and at low engine speeds.

-The replaceable Brass Seat was used through 1929. -An integral Seat, Machined in the Lower Casting, was used after that.
-The Seat opening is honed to match the shape of the GAV Needle.
-Notice that the Brass GAV Seat looks much like the Compensating Jet.-However, they are different! They are NOT interchangeable. The Brass Seat is also longer than a Compensator Jet.-It is recommended to use a gasket under the brass seat.
-The Gas Adjusting Valve housing threads are 1/8" 27NPT (Pipe). Use Caution not to cut threads deeper, as it is a pipe thread.
-The GAV housing can become frozen in the pipe threads of the lower casting. The soft brass nut of the GAV is easily damaged beyond use. So, to remove such a GAV housing, cut the housing off just above the nut using a hacksaw. Then, remove the lower frozen part using a spiral screw extractor (Easy Out).

To obtain a good seat when Gas adjusting valve is closed, the seat sometimes needs to be polished to remove pits, dirt scratches, etc. This tool and guide provides a mating, aligned surface that can be spun against the seat with polishing compound on it. The tool is made by soldering two needles together, back to back. The end that will go into the guide and provide the polishing surface needs to have its threads removed to enable it to be spun continuously with a drill. Using an old GAV housing, the spring has been removed to let the tool spin more freely. Some people also cut down both ends of the housing.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-05-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: added info
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
Ron Lowe

If you are using a air filter try taking it off and see what happens. Quick and easy. This really helped me.
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #35
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Victoria View Post
Steve, can you give some details on the air filter fitting issue with this carb - have you been able to get any air filter to fit?

Can you also comment on the modification to the gasoline line fitting - did you just need a different size/thread nut on the end of your line?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul,

I don't have a good photo of it all hooked up, but here's a few that might help.

Here's the spec sheet for the carb:

Here's my filter adapter, made by a guy in Idaho many years ago under What's It brand, as I recall. The first one bounced off and was lost going down the road. To fit the 13922 I had to fashion a "shim" out of rubber inner tube. Also, you can see the piece of wire that I used to help support the weight. I think this is essential. I wrap it up over the sedimentation bowl. Snyders sells a very similar rig now, and others have fashioned them from PVC elbows.

Here's the carb mounted. You can see the rubber fuel line I used instead of metal. Some say this is a bad idea.

Here's the carb with some of the fittings like I explored to connect to rubber hose.

I hope this helps. I urge you to search for earlier threads on the carb. Others report using the metal fuel line somehow; I didn't see how to do it, but didn't work too hard at it. Also, others have posted their mounted air filters. The problem is that the air intake lip is kind of short.

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread--I too would like to know the answer to the original question.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 02-05-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
400A-64

Les Andrews rebuilds Carbs and has sold them at various swap meets. After he rebuilds them ,he puts them on his car to test drive them. You might give him a try....
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #37
P.S.

Thanks again for all the help, guys! Good info, Mike. Once one of the other carbs comes back working, then I will take the current carb apart. I cannot do that now, as that would certainly take the car out of commission, and we do rely on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjr View Post
If You Read, and can Comprehend, You Can Do it Yourself. Just keep Trying and you will get it Done Right, and It will work.
Well, perhaps. However, you are taking for granted your own mechanical ability and assuming that others have the same. I am an electrical/electronic engineer, not a mechanic. I can design and build a circuit right off the top of my head. I can draw a schematic for a radio, gather or make the parts, etch a circuit board, built it, tune it, and make it work as designed. I my world, I don't see why others cannot do the same. If you can "read and comprehend", then you can read what various electronic components do and how they work, and read how a radio works, and build one yourself also, right?? So, if you cannot build your own radio from scratch and I can, you may understand why I probably cannot redo a Zenith carb. We simply have different skill sets.

Though I am learning a lot from this car, I'm definately not up to doing fine work like carburetors yet. I just figured out how to adjust the brakes myself and actually have them work, and that was a victory we all celebreted with a pizza!

FOLLOW UP- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=588305

Last edited by P.S.; 02-08-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #38
Jazzjr

I Have built Crystal, and 1 Tube Radio Kits from Diagrams when I was a Kid. In High School I took up Mechanical Drawing 2 Years, Introductory and Advanced. I had a chance to go to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute near Albany, NY when I graduated from High School in 1963, to become a Architectural Engineer. But My father was Iron Ore Worker for Republic Steel and was Not able to Lend Me the $ to go to College, like Mitt thought everyone could do. I could have obtained Loans but had other Fish to Fry!

Also I wanted to work with My hands plus my Brain, then I was Drafted into the US Army in 1964 anyways, I did my best I could do on the Aptitude Tests, and wound up a Wheel Vehicle Mechanic, spent 2 Tours in Viet Nam, Became a 10 Ton Wrecker Operator. Reenlisted after first 2 Years, for 3 More, Obtained the Rank of Buck Sargent E-6, had 8 Mechanics in my Squad I was in charge of. When I came out of the service, spent another 16 Years in part time Army Reserve.
I used the GI Bill and became a Successful all around Building Contractor.

Enough said about Me, You can work with your Hands also, I call educated People who can Put things on Paper, but not use their Hands, Educated Idio, never mind, Here is how You do it getting Dirty.
If You lived near Me I would Help and Make You Rebuild a Zenith.

Degrease, Sand or Bead Blast, Paint with Fuel Resistance Black Spray Paint, Tap all Threads, Assembly Parts, Set Float Level, and follow instructions. If it doesn't run right first time, Check it out, and try again.

5:00 PM - I guess no one noticed the Broken off Piece of the Idle Jet in photo #7.
Here are Photos of how it was removed by using Heat Propane Torch, then douse in cold Water. I removed it with a Jewlers Screwdriver, than Taped the Threads, and Inserted a Good Idle Jet. Easy Job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2368 (Custom).jpg (574.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2370 (Custom).jpg (576.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2371 (Custom).jpg (577.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2372 (Custom).jpg (565.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2373 (Custom).jpg (571.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2375 (Custom).jpg (546.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2376 (Custom).jpg (569.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2382 (Custom).jpg (558.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2384 (Custom).jpg (551.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 02-05-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #39
Jazzjr

Quote:
Though I am learning a lot from this car, I'm definitely not up to doing fine work like carburetors yet. I just figured out how to adjust the brakes myself and actually have them work, and that was a victory we all celebrated with a pizza!
Congratulations, see you can do it, make up your Mind and Just do things, you will Obtain A Lot of Self Satisfaction for Yourself and More so when You Tell Others;
I did it on My Own with the Help of the Ford Barn Forum, Books, Manuals, and Comprehension !!!!!
Good Luck to You in all the Rest of your Life Endeavors.

When you rebuild your first working Zenith, we will pass the hat for a Steak Dinner.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #40
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpot View Post
After many carb problems, rebuilds etc I bought one like Steve S. Works great & no further problems, am happy with the purchase. I would like to have a good working original but suspect they are hard to find these days. Most of the originals have probably been rebuilt more than once in their lifetime by an "expert". Know there are many competent rebuilders out there but finding one is sometimes difficult.
Is your carb still performing well for you?
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #41
Rock Hornbuckle

Steve S, I purchased and installed one of Automotive Test Systems new Zenith replacement carbs today....I will never let it go without a helluva fight..I love this new carb! The price went up to $259.95 plus tax and shipping, but the performance is worth every penny. No GAV to monkey with. No stalling on hard stops. Retard the spark, open gas valve, pull choke half way out, turn on key, hit starter, and you're up and running! Runs smoother with more power. Old '29 Nellie ran good today!

Semper Fidelis
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #42
John LaVoy

We ran both of the MARK Auto carbs, the Zenith and the Tilitson. They both worked fine on our test cars. They were used on various Summer Tours so had extended driving for several days. I understand MARK is working on a revision on the Tilitson which should be out soon. We will be getting one of those to test when it is released.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hornbuckle View Post
Steve S, I purchased and installed one of Automotive Test Systems new Zenith replacement carbs today....I will never let it go without a helluva fight..I love this new carb! The price went up to $259.95 plus tax and shipping, but the performance is worth every penny. No GAV to monkey with. No stalling on hard stops. Retard the spark, open gas valve, pull choke half way out, turn on key, hit starter, and you're up and running! Runs smoother with more power. Old '29 Nellie ran good today!
Rock,

Just out of curiosity, did you fiddle with the T-valve? As I recall, I settled on about 1/2 turn open.

I'm glad to hear that it's working out so well for you; it's always a bit nervousy recommending how someone spend their money.

Steve
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #44
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Rock,

Just out of curiosity, did you fiddle with the T-valve? As I recall, I settled on about 1/2 turn open.

I'm glad to hear that it's working out so well for you; it's always a bit nervousy recommending how someone spend their money.

Steve
Stevw S, I called the company and had a great discussion about the carb. I setted on about 3/4 turn out on the T-valve. Wow ! I love it. I like the Zenith name cast on the back side of the carb.

Semper Fidelis
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #45
larryf

Bert's in Denver sells one of the best rebuilt carb's and always stand behind them
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #46
Benson

Here is another thread with information on rebuilt carbs
and a followup on post #25 listed above:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97133

Quoted post #25

" If you are interested, you might try one of our rebuilt Zenith Carbs, Unlike anyone else I know, besides our thorough rebuild, we actually run ALL of our carbs about 10 miles on a stop and go, up and downhill city and highway routine on the same perfect running car, to be sure they work properly. If you want, Email us your name and address, and I will send you one to try. If you dont like it, you can send it back. If you like it, send me a check. We build hundreds every year, and becuase we test drive every one, we are confident that you will like it. Just a thought.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center "

Last edited by Benson; 03-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #47
steve s

Quote:
Stevw S, I called the company and had a great discussion about the carb. I setted on about 3/4 turn out on the T-valve. Wow ! I love it. I like the Zenith name cast on the back side of the carb.
How did you deal with the fuel line? Does the noise bother you at all?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #48
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Technically, based on dyno testing, the new carb actually puts out less horsepower in an engine then a correctly restored carb. Granted not by much, but anything is better than a carb that is poorly rebuilt no matter who did it.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #49
Rock Hornbuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Technically, based on dyno testing, the new carb actually puts out less horsepower in an engine then a correctly restored carb. Granted not by much, but anything is better than a carb that is poorly rebuilt no matter who did it.
Can you tell me where I can get those dyno results, or who did them? Thanks

Semper Fidelis