Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Woodie1

Default Horn won't work

I am trying to get a spare horn working. It seems as though the armature is too tight when I adjust the tone. If I back the screw out, I can get the horn to spin like mad. When I start turning the screw in, it almost bottoms out & then the horn won't spin. I also never get the horn sound. I have a repro diaphragm in it as the old one was cracked around the point that rubs. I have new thin gaskets & even had new brushes & springs in the horn. The armature has been cleaned & the grooves cleaned out on the comm. I had made a new felt for the top end & oiled the felts on both ends. If I push down on the armature with one hand & turn it, then I can feel it make contact with the rubbing wheel. I've been testing with a charger. It just seems like the armature needs to go down farther to contact the wheel but I think that pressure is what stops the armature from spinning thus no sound. I'm thinking of making a gasket for the top of the diaphragm out of paper & see if this gets me closer or bend the bracket that is on the bottom of the noise wheel. What are your thoughts?
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Horn won't work

Is the diaphram oriented correctly?
The lines of the wavy wheel must strike the diaphram chisel point in the same line.

You must use a fully charged battery, and the adjustment screw should only be turned until the wavy wheel meets the chisel point, and then no more than 1 to 3 clicks more most times.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
SeaSlugs

If you installed new brushes they can take a bit to seat. Also a horn no load draws about 3-4 amps so your battery charger may not have the oomph if its a 2amp or 4 amp.

Yes the oohga is the wavy washer just barely striking the chisel point on the diaphram - doesnt take much to put to much pressure on it.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Woodie1

I solved the problem. It may be that the wavy ratchet is worn. I took a thin washer & drilled the hole to go over the armature shaft before installing the ratchet. I can now get it to work on the charger. My charger is a bigger variety.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote