Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Change oil every 500 mi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wensum View Post
I hark back to my teenage years where we rarely changed the oil, just topped it up and got excellent reliability out of fairly tired Model A's
On a long trip with the motor running at reasonably constant revs and constant temperature, I wouldn't hesitate to go 3000 miles without an oil change.
Taxis get phenomenal mileages simply by being in constant use with very few heating/cooling cycles?
On our 'round Australia trip last year, we covered over 9,000 miles. I run a full flow filter and insert bearings and because we were cruising all day at a steady 50 or so mph, I changed at 3,000 to 4,000 miles depending on where we were (how convenient).
When we got home, I checked the bottom end of the motor and just put it all back together without adjusting a thing. The year before, we did a 6,500 mile trip so by then, the motor had done about 15,500 miles TOWING A CAMPER all the way. The motor still has all the pep it had when we left and no untoward noises.
I think we should use that grey thing between our ears to work out whether 500 miles or 4,000 is appropriate.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Ron W

My new car suggests 10,000 mi or annual. I change it in my A, annual because I don't go over 3,000 mi. If your engine is in good shape, 3,000 mi on a trip should be no problem. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #23
Step-down

Back in the day oil was non detergent and driving at cruise speed should help oil life ?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #24
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
On our 'round Australia trip last year, we covered over 9,000 miles. I run a full flow filter and insert bearings and because we were cruising all day at a steady 50 or so mph, I changed at 3,000 to 4,000 miles depending on where we were (how convenient).
When we got home, I checked the bottom end of the motor and just put it all back together without adjusting a thing. The year before, we did a 6,500 mile trip so by then, the motor had done about 15,500 miles TOWING A CAMPER all the way. The motor still has all the pep it had when we left and no untoward noises.
I think we should use that grey thing between our ears to work out whether 500 miles or 4,000 is appropriate.
Like to see some pictures of that camper....
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #25
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
This discussion seems to come up frequently and I alway think back in my younger days when I was into VW's.

Flat four, air cooled, no oil filter. Recommended oil change every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. I would think the 40 hp VW engine would be harder on oil being air cooled and runner hotter.

I put this out there only for a comparison, you be the judge.
I have a 1968 Dunebuggy with a stock 1600 rebuilt engine (1971). I change the oil every 3,500 mi with Synthetic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July '08 002.jpg (119.9 KB, 8 views)
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
Terry, NJ

! would say 1000 - 1500 miles on a long trip when you racking up the miles fast. Buy Walmart oil. It isn't going to be in your engine long enough to worry about it. As has been said, in 1930, the roads were much dustier and the oil of lower quality. During the depression, oil changes were pretty low on the to do list. It's the accumulated dirt and moisture that wreck oil.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #27
Synchro909

bobpo1,
I have tried to upload some pictures but can't. Something about a security token missing. I gave up after the second attempt.
If you PM me your email address, I will send you pics.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
bobpo1,
I have tried to upload some pictures but can't. Something about a security token missing. I gave up after the second attempt.
If you PM me your email address, I will send you pics.
Your picture is to large and needs to be resized
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #29
mshmodela

VWs were really only slightly newer technology than a Model A's late 20s, VWs, mid 30s.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Your picture is to large and needs to be resized
Mitch, that could be so. I had 4 pictures.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #31
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemaniac View Post
Hi,

As some of you remember I talked about driving my model A across USA. It says you should make oil changes every 500 mi. The Lincoln Highway is approx 3500 mi. Should I really plan a total of 7 oil changes (3500/500=7) or in a different way: An oil change every 2nd day if I am driving lets say 250 mi/day? I see a lot of logistical problems ... or should I carry all the oil and make the oil change in front of motels across the country? :-)

Lucas
Now you know the answer ! Most people definitely would not change the oil at 500 miles ! A waste of money, oil and time ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #32
roblesterjr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo1 View Post
Like to see some pictures of that camper....
Yes. I want to see this too...

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #33
Skibb

Quote:
Synchro, you made day my mate. We all would be thrilled to look at your photos of the Camper. At the Maine MAFCA Tour two weeks ago I met Mark from Down Under who described driving an Australian Tour that goes from South to North across the continent. You are the penultimate Model A'ers.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #34
J Witt

Principal sources of contamination in a Model A engine, IMHO, the breather pipe, no air cleaner, piston blow by, fuel contamination from poor mixture control and (relatively) poor ring sealing.

If you control the first two, you are helping the oil a lot. Probably not as much as staying off dirt roads, though. :-)

Haven't done the first one on my new car yet, but am about to. Planning on synthetic 10-40.

John