Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
morebeer

Red face Light switch disassembly

My 31 Roadster has something shorted out inside the light switch. I'm wondering 1: how to get the switch plates out into the open. Do I push on the horn contact? 2: is there more than one switch? and 3: Is the plate(s) keyed so that it will only fit one way? Thanks. I feel so dumb.
morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Light switch disassembly

There is a pesky little "C" clip on the bottom of the horn rod. The process is to first place a thin piece of wood through the steering wheel to hold the horn botton down so the rod doesn't come up when you remove the clip. Once that is in, remove the cover from the switch and push the contact plate up till the clip is accessable. Remove it and it all comes apart. I'm sure someone will have a diagram for you - or, if you don't have it, buy Les Andrews' red book.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
morebeer

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. I'm not trying to remove the horn rod. I'm trying to disassemble the light switch.
morebeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
Joe K

The light switch "bulb" is held to the bottom of the steering column gearbox by a "bail." This can be unhooked causing the entire bulb and wires to separate from the column.

The bulb in made in two pieces - the upper part which plugs into the bottom of the column, and the lower part where the wires enter. The bulbs halves "separate" by turning each opposing (sort of like the plastic easter eggs) and inside you'll find the "wiper" in the upper half and the switch plate in the lower half.

The switch plate is held only by the presence of the upper half: with out the upper, the switch plates can be pushed up and out of the lower half by grasping the wires.

The switch plates are soldered to the wiring harness. Normal removal is to "demount" the entire wiring harness and snake all this back through the hole in the lower bulb half. It is possible to "unsolder" the wiring harness from the switch plate, but its a remedy probably more challenging than dealing with it by a normal removal.

Good luck with this. Hope you find all as I describe.

Joe K
Old 08-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Badpuppy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Might need a screwdriver to pry that bail off the lower half, it's usually pretty tight. Unscrew the lower half like a light bulb (J slots). Original harness wires were soldered to the contact plate, most replacements have spade terminals. Avoid disconnection either way.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote