Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
white64

Default rumble seat lid stops, a little help needed...

Does any one have one that I could copy? I promise to get it back to you in a week! Honest! or... maybe take a few good pics or sketch one out for me....?

Yes Ive seen the reproduction ones, the very same ones that people say need a lot of work before they're usable, for $70 plus shipping they seem a little pricey. I could make some with a few hours work and some scrap metal. The supports under floor look pretty simple too. I've seen pics of the stops and supports, but it's hard to get accurate dimensions.

Sooo... if someone would like to loan one out that would be great, or maybe have a set of originals they'd be willin' to part with?

Thanks
white64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: rumble seat lid stops, a little help needed...

Not enough information.

Which body do you need them for?

Do you have original or reproduction curved inner panel and rumble riser?

Do you know how they are supposed to be placed in the rumble seat area? I have to ask this question because I have found a bunch of cars that have them just installed wrong.

Here is the link to my rumble lid page
that has the pictures and year details.

The shorter stamped steel reproduction stops are workable. You just need to adapt them for the pans you have. There is a huge difference in the angles between the repro and the original curved inner panels. You just put the repro one in a vice and beat into the right shape.

If you need the taller stops I know they are aluminum and I have not worked with them.

Have you welded the braces on the bottom side of the rumble seat riser?

Your goal is to have the rubber bumper in a position to have the lid in a vertical position. It must hit the bottom edge of the lid. You will be adjusting the shape to get this if you are dealing with repro parts. This was my case as I used an original seat pan (gave me the proper hole spacing) and a repro curved panel with the repro short stops.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
white64

Default Re: rumble seat lid stops, a little help needed...

1931, coupe. Here are pics of the floor, all reproduction parts (I was totally missing the bottom 18 inches of the car from the doors back)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (38.7 KB, 69 views)
white64 is offline   Reply With Quote