Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Question on Color Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
I think Ford dodged the bullet by having a dark and light version of some of the colors, some of them are not mentioned in the color books. Maybe a bigger crap shoot 80 years ago than now with expensive hi-tech measuring equipment. Sort of like going to the moon with a paper road map available for free while the attendant cleaned your windows and checked the oil.
So that we do not use opinion to skew the facts, when you compare much that was written in Foreman's Logs, Engineering Releases, M-Specs, internal Sales materials et/al, it becomes clear that Ford manufactured his own paints at that time, --and to exacting standards. There just wasn't variations when comparing vehicles coming from different Branches.

Also, so that we are clear, Ford did not "use-up" excess product or materials, as EVERYTHING was produced on work orders giving specific quantities and timelines for production on each and every part. If you take the time to study the methods they used, contrary to popular wives' tales, this theory of using up excess inventory is not factual.

Now when you study some of the history, you find there is some production overlap due to logistics such as transportation and such, but Ford marketing introduced each new model year with a new set of colors, ...and when the model year was introduced, the Branches were instructed to begin using the new color.

Now with all of the above said, Steve it is VERY, V E R Y unlikely that your Roadster was painted in Ford Maroon as that was only optioned out as a special order car. Ford Maroon was a color reserved for Deluxe closed cars, and only the Convertible Sedan was given the option of a variation of the Ford Maroon. When you look at Thorne, you will see some hues of red so I would guess you are actually seeing Thorne in the hidden areas.. As others have mentioned, it is your car so do what pleases you however I am finding in our evermore 'politically correct' society, proper colors are important to buyers seeking higher-level vehicles when higher prices are expected.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #22
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks all, for more thoughts. Agree Ford maroon is not correct, even per charts as the car is a standard. Brent I think I see remnants of a very thorough old repaint in that color not the original color.

Jury is still out for now!
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #23
jimalabam

"Elmer" my 1931 Standard Tudor was painted Thorne Brown lower body with black upper. The standards read Thorn Brown both upper and lower BUT ain't it pretty. Also I got tired of winning trophies...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote