Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor radiator and cowl lacing info needed

I was getting ready to order the lacing for the radiator and the cowl. Bratton's is showing a wire that runs inside of the lacing that goes across the top of the gas tank. The lacing that I removed from the car was riveted to the gas tank and it did not have the wire and the lacing hook was just hanging on the tank. It looked like someone had replaced the lacing and did not install the correct lacing. Would they have drilled the hole for the rivets or are the hole original?

I am assuming that the top lacing that goes across the gas tank hooks at the very bottom of the tank on each side and the center hook tightens the wire down into the channel in the tank?

Can someone enlighten me as to the proper installation of the lacing with the wire???

Also Bratton's says that the cowl lacing has the rivet heads facing inward--that seems wrong??? Is this correct? I just looked at the pictures that I took before I removed the old lacing and the rivet heads on the cowl sides were facing inward--seems wrong though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010.10 (10).jpg (54.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg body disassembly (31).jpg (44.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg body disassembly (29).jpg (47.8 KB, 75 views)
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 29 Tudor radiator and cowl lacing info needed

Yes, Bratton's is correct. The heads of the cowl rivets are suppose to be on the inside. It is much easier to install that way. Tom Wesenberg has posted a close up picture on the end of the gas tank wire. I think it goes through the hole from the outside and then around the bottom and back through the hole again and then bent down. I can see if I can locate the picture. The picture shows it well. Once the ends are installed you then use the small hook and tighten it to make the wire tight. You need to make the wire pretty tight before installing the small hook.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

That good for nothing photobucket destroyed all the old threads be removing my pictures, so I just took some more of my 2-27-28 Phaeton. My lower cowl lacing is long gone, but the top is fine and original. The radiator shell lacing is mostly gone, but bits of it still remain. If you look at the hook, you can see the open end faces rearward.

There is no lacing for about 1/2" on each side of the hook. The wire is easily run through the center channel of the lacing. It DOES NOT lay on top, like I see some people do. If you have trouble with the wire snagging, just file the end round and it'll slide through. Be sure to buy from a good dealer, as some have too thin a wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowl Lace 2.jpg (52.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl Laceing Wire End.jpg (169.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Cowl Lace Hook.jpg (42.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (64.8 KB, 75 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
fred93

Thanks--your reply and photos has been very helpful.
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote