Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #21
J Franklin

Default Re: Start up w/o coolant, REALLY !

"The only deviation he recommends is to not put coolant in the cooling system, start the engine and let run until the head is warm to the hand, let cool overnight."

Follow the written instructions.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #22
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray zulu View Post
New head gasket, proper torque, all is well...

I have been told to start it up for 1-2 minutes w/o coolant. Then let it cool completely and torque as normal. Theeeeeennnnn add coolant... Comments Please. Thank You...
Running for any length of time without coolant is akin to amputating your head because you have a toothache.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #23
Railcarmover
BANNED

getting deep in here now..the water jacket filled with water allows for consistent even heating of the cylinders..without it you subject the cylinders and pistons to distortion..but hey,doing it only for a few minutes should be ok..are you sure? risk an engine sure? to save a few minutes?
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #24
chap52

So why are these things still running? Henry didn't have any coolant available.
Some posts express how water actually cools better than coolant and just the boiling temperature is altered.
Just poking the bear, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #25
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
FWIW

The only deviation he recommends is to not put coolant in the cooling system, start the engine and let run until the head is warm to the hand, let cool overnight.

Then add water drive and retorque after 500 miles.
It's amazing how well an A can run, in spite of self-proclaimed "experts"!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #26
Dave in MN

I suggest plain water until the gasket is fully seated and then change to 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water. Best advice if you live in Minnesota!
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #27
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
So why are these things still running? Henry didn't have any coolant available.
Some posts express how water actually cools better than coolant and just the boiling temperature is altered.
Just poking the bear, Chap
Actually if you look in the service bulletins there are articles about alcohol, salt, and ethylene glycol
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #28
Chuck Sea/Tac

I’ve always done it dry. Head warm to touch, retorque, let it cool, add coolant drive it, retorque again. This was especially true with the black felpro gaskets. Which I personally liked. I still do it with the Best gaskets. It works for me. You can do it anyway you like. I understand there’s several roads to Chicago. Important thing is to get there. I know of many engines that this procedure was followed, with no problems. Anyone with real life experience/proof of damaged caused from this procedure??
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #29
Pete

" I understand there’s several roads to Chicago. Important thing is to get there."

Yes, and railroads and airlines, but who in their right mind would want to go there??
It is a filthy dirty city and always has been. The river is polluted, the lake is full of taconite and the bridges are rusting away.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #30
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
" I understand there’s several roads to Chicago. Important thing is to get there."

Yes, and railroads and airlines, but who in their right mind would want to go there??
It is a filthy dirty city and always has been. The river is polluted, the lake is full of taconite and the bridges are rusting away.

Plus you're likely to get shot! The risks far outweigh the rewards. Just like running your engine without coolant!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #31
chap52

You guys are funny...lol Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #32
oldforder

Just an anecdotal story. Dad had a 28 Tudor that we had cut off and made into a pickup . One spring I wanted to haul something( don't remember what). So I cranked it up, (the starter didn't work,) and drove it around the garage to where I wanted to load it up. Started to load, then I smelled something that smelled like something getting hot. Then I remembered, it had been drained for winter, and was still dry. I left it run, grabbed a garden hose that was right next to it, and turned the water on slowly, and ran the water into the radiator while it was still running. Far as anyone could tell, didn't seem to hurt it.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #33
Purdy Swoft

My dad taught me to never pour cold water in a hot engine unless it is running when you pour .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #34
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
My dad taught me to never pour cold water in a hot engine unless it is running when you pour .
That is only doable when there's still some coolant left in the system, so you can mix the cold with the hot without (hopefully) doing damage. If the system has boiled dry, you will get a geyser of boiling water and steam gushing out to scald you! Plus, the shock of cold water (even hot water!) hitting red hot (or nearly red hot) cast iron can cause cracks or can rapidly shrink an extremely hot cylinder onto a still-hot piston, seizing it! Best to shut the engine off and let it cool gradually before adding water.
This may be wishful thinking, but I've turned an engine over several times soon after shut-down in hopes of every exhaust valve getting to cool on its seat, as I think an open valve is more likely to warp.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #35
Kurt in NJ

This reminds me of a car that came to where I worked, it had been cooked till no compression---- the owner had no money and he was going to tow it home , he arrived in a gremlin towing a dolley, he got out and opened the hood, said it had been running hot--- it was way beyond steam, was popping &crackling some, from over 10 feet away I could tell it was way beyond boiling, --- it got filled with water, the hose put back on , started and made it back on the street towing the real dead car----- I wonder if he ever told the guy he borrowed the car from
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote