Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #21
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Model A's in new 'Bonnie & Clyde' film

"One final note: Bonny & Clyde never used Thompson submachine guns like Warren Beatty and Fay"

Didn't a Thompson supposedly owned by B&C sell for $130,000 a couple of years ago?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #22
Arlen

Living here in Dallas, our club has gone on several Bonnie and Clyde tours. This was their stomping ground. The school Bonnie attended, the bridge Clyde's family living under when they moved to Dallas, the gas station Clyde's family operated, the cafe that Bonnie worked at, and of course the seperate cemeteries that the two are buried in. As Bonnie's mother put it, "he had her in life, he wasn't getting her in death." We also drove out to Louisiana to see the ambush site. Little known fact about Bonnie Parker, she was married to a Dallas hoodlum at the time she ran off with Clyde. He had the mans name tattooed on her leg. Police would later use the tattoo to positively identify her body after the ambush.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #23
SkipShift

There are many videos about the showing at the History website. Some questions raised here are answered. How accurate the movie is I don't know. Looks like it may be similar to the Hatfield/McCoy series last year which I enjoyed. Flaws and all I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.history.com/shows/bonnie-and-clyde

Arlen, thanks for the personal insight. If you have any photo's of your tours that would be super.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
BlueSunoco

Arlen, I saw a show once on History Channel that showed the ambush site marker was being vandalized. Has it been replaced, are people leaving it alone?
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
Arlen

It's been vandalized considerably. The marker is actually on the wrong side of the road, same side as the shooters now. People break off small chunks of the marker to take home but its still a large marker and easy to read. There's a great "Ambush museum" there in the town as well. The people at the museum gave us the story that after the ambush, the truck that was pulling their car back into town broke down right in front of the elementary school as it was letting out for the day. The bodies were still in the car so as the kids were walking out of school, they got quite a show. A mob gathered around the car and began trying to get suviners. They began cutting off pieces of Bonnie and Clyde's clothing and one guy even tryed to cut off Clyde's trigger finger. The two had made previous arrangements with a funeral home in Dallas that if/when they were killed, no matter where they were, this funeral home would come get them and bring their bodies back to Dallas.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
1930artdeco

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am impressed that the History channel is actually showing something about......history. Sorry, I am just not a favorite of most of their modern programming. But I am looking forward to watching for the cars.

Mike
Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
jim galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
...broke down right in front of the elementary school as it was letting out for the day. The bodies were still in the car so as the kids were walking out of school, they got quite a show.
Oh dear! I hope they got counselors and psychiatrists for all the poor little kids that were no doubt marred for life!!?

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
SHEC

I hope that the producers have the tagline at the end of this showing stating - "No Model A Fords were intentionally harmed or abused during the filming". Just like the protection for animals on film sets, why not the endangered "original" Model A's? It only seems right.

Model "A" version of the ASPCA?

Should be fun to watch -

Be well -

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
Gold Digger

I saw what was supposed to be the car that Bonnie and Clyde died in at the State Fair in Little Rock, Arkansas back in 1964 or 65. It was I believe a 1934 Ford sedan painted gray from the factory. It was riddled with bullet holes and the seats were blood soaked and stained. We could walk up to it and handle it but they wouldn't let me raise the hoods. I wondered at the time who had bought the car when this occurred and where it had been stored. Also if it had the engine salvaged out of it.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Gold Digger

In the Fall of 2012 the town of Reeds Springs, MO. held a "Bonnie and Clyde Days" calibration. This place is only 60 miles from my home in Arkansas so I drive up there with my 30 Roadster pickup to be with a Model A club from up near Springfield, MO. and try and get acquainted with some of them. Back in the day, Bonnie and Clyde had pulled some kind of robbery there and used a pickup. I was asked to use my roadster pickup the next day in a reenactment but unfortunately it rained it out. Also a nephew of Clyde was there with a 1934 Ford sedan.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
BlueSunoco

ASPCA-------American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to A's
Old 12-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
mccsix

How many A's died during this filming?

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #33
lajones

6 or 7 of the cars used were from our club, the film company bought the car that ws "shot up". It now has a "fresh" paint job and is for sale locally. It was a nice slant window that they drilled over 200 3/8" holes in...
lajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #34
SHEC

I hope we don't see too many original A's gettin' it in the end, blown or shot up that is.

There should be a society to prevent cruelty to Model A's on the film set just like the ASPCA for critters.

I will still be watching though.........

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
Brendan

Clyde's letter to Henry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clyde.jpg (17.3 KB, 103 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #36
Bob-A

Thumbs down Re: Model A's in new 'Bonnie & Clyde' film

I've seen the trailers on TV for the show and I don't plan on watching it.
For one thing it is past my bed time when it comes on. And it looks to be typical modern Hollywood crap, pure and simple. I'll take a 1930's
"gangster" movie as seen on TCM anyday as apposed to what they make today.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
Richard Wilson

"It was riddled with bullet holes and the seats were blood soaked and stained." Quote #30 Gold Digger.

I remember seeing the BC "death" car in the early 60's. It was on tour here in Asheville, NC. I was about 10 years old and still remember it like yesterday.

Last edited by Richard Wilson; 12-07-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
Brendan

did you guys see Clyde driving in the maroon Shay Roadster?
Also a 31 Vicky in 1929?

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #39
Barber31

It sure was more sexual than I was expecting. It was supposed to be a movie night for my family but had to cut that short. My boys were upset not being able to see more of the A's.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #40
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
It sure was more sexual than I was expecting. It was supposed to be a movie night for my family but had to cut that short. My boys were upset not being able to see more of the A's.
Agreed. I'm no prude but come on, we all know how that works. No need for fitting this in the show. No such thing as a family hour anymore. Kind of embarrassing with the fam watching with me. The old movies on TCM have a better story line. You can kind of figure out what's happening and they don't have to actually show it.

I actually blocked out the lousy acting and focused on the cars, old gas stations, etc. I did enjoy seeing the Model A's in motion! Seems like they did try to have most things period correct; the typewriters, street lamps, etc.

Also, I had to DVR the show as I had to be away from home. Thank goodness as the commercials would have drove me insane. I would fast forward thru them and count off '11' and then the show would come back on. Ridiculous,,,,, you are paying for the stupid cable and subjected to advertisements 'ad naseum'