Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default high compression cylinder heads

I was pretty shocked to see the Offy cyl heads are $1074 at speedway. I also saw the Edelbrock heads at $750 and these were cnc combustion chamber of 65CC/ One thing for dure they do look nice. However, if you anglemillaset of stock 59/8ba heads .070" will give you a chamber size around 70cc. A local shop does that for 150 a set.. wonder what a set od EAB heads would bring.. I can understand why the Flathead is loosing favor among the old car builders, It takea a big wallet to build a flathead these days.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: high compression cylinder heads

Offy took a huge price increase not to long ago and lowered their discount points to distributors. It almost seems like they would rather just be in the retail market only? After being an Offy distributor for 25 years I lost most of my discount points
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Offy took a huge price increase not to long ago and lowered their discount points to distributors. It almost seems like they would rather just be in the retail market only? After being an Offy distributor for 25 years I lost most of my discount points
From what I understand, Offy is really struggling to stay afloat; especially with the recent economic hit.

I hope I'm wrong about this.

I would suggest checking our Advanced Auto for Edlebrock. They seemed to have the best price and you can get them shipped to the store for free.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
Lawrie

I'm going to try a set of the Edelbrock 65 cc heads on my spare engine,99a block 4 in stroke and 3-5/16 bore,I also have one of the BIG 97,stro try on it.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

Lawrie
That's a good combination, the resulting Cr is around 8.3. However, if you need more angle mill them because the valve clearance is very high in the CNC heads. So 9;1 is pretty easy to get. It might be alittle hi for a stock cam so something like the 1007B would be a good cam to keep thre low end torque. I have an engine running woth this combination and the owner says it's sweetheart around town.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:18 AM   #6
Lawrie

Ron. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
It will be going in the 33 to tow the caravan.
It will be another month or so though.
Lawrie
Old 06-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

For that application, you might want to use a stock cam,. Also converting to an EAB cam would also give a better ignition system,
Old 06-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Fordestes

I just purchased a set of Edelbrock 1125 heads for a 59A from Jegs , I paid $710.00 including shipping, that is the most I ever paid for any cylinder heads , the Offy's are out of my price range, I have never used Edelbrock heads before now, What problems (if any) do I need to watch for? I have used many 8 B.A Offy's with no major issues , I was always told the Offy's were better due to more material over the combustion chambers, Is that fact or just an old hotrodder's tale? My dad always used cast iron heads ,he would weld the chambers and c.c. them to what he wanted, at these high prices I am thinking mabe filling the chambers possibly might be the best alternative, Do any of you know of any place that can fill the chambers on some factory cast iron heads ?
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Lawrie

Ron, I always use a stock cam,And I think I have a good ign system in the helmet distributor with the 11a advance fitted and 6v.
Seems reliable enough and I think goes OK.
Lawrie
Old 06-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
Ol' Ron

During the late 50's and early 60'd we had to use stock cylinder heads on the stock cat. This was a class rule. There was a place that would heat the head up to ??? degress, then lay in some brass with a torch. This then could be shaped to the desire cc. The price was around a $100. Which was quit high at that time so we just milled them. Today we have the EAB heads and on a 276 engine these can be milled for .045" piston to heads clearance , providing good performance for a street engine, I have a set on my 280 withan EAb cam and cranking pressure is 160+ But those Finned aluminum heads are sure pretty.
Just remember aesthetics are the most expensive part of the hobby
Old 06-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
Fordestes

I tried filing some heads on an old Mercury when I was a kid, what I didn't do was heat them up and add the braze, needles to say it turned loose an it wiped out the engine, we just left the old car beside the road, there was a device called a compression increaser, it was a manufactured clump of cast Iron which was brazed or welded in the transfer area, I still have one somewhere. If I run across it I will post a picture, I used it for a paper weight for years, I was thinking someone who does casting repair might be game to fill a couple sets of cast iron heads, we no longer have a cast iron repair facility here nor a spring manufacture/ re builder , the price of natural gas got so high they closed up shop years ago.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote