Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
tonydennisadw

Default 1952 ford car clutch install

clutch pp and throw out bearing prior clutch engaging pretty far out 1still engaging far out at what inch from floor should it engage my manual doesnt say and how to adjust 2 clutch chatters when engaging didnt do before.......3 clutch travel at top bout 1 inch.... which is normal,,,,,,,,,

thanks dennis again
tonydennisadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 1952 ford car clutch install

I'm not familiar with swing pedals, so I'm no help with the adjustment specs, but we should know if you've had the flywheel resurfaced and what shape the motor mounts are in.

I replaced the clutch in my '51 and it still chattered worse than before, Replaced the motor mounts and everything was fine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
tonydennisadw

there was absolutely 0 chatter on old clutch motor mounts were replaced about 4 years ago when replaced w pumps flywheel was not burnt in spots and no cracks so did not resurface.......wish i had never touched it now but was trying to fix the fact that old clutch was not engaging till pedal way out
Old 05-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
A bones

Was PP cleaned of coating, before install?
Please tell us who rebuilt it.

Play at top or bottom not critical to chatter, as long as the floor reaches disengaged ( clean shift ). The play at the top should be perhaps an inch. Most important that there is free play at top whatever it is.

Chatter while engaging clutch, as tubman said, can be caused by loose mounts.
More common though, since there was none before, would point to PP disc surface, or uneven fingers or springs. This would cause the hoppity hop hop you are having.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
tubman

Now that "A bones" mentions it, I had a new 8BA clutch a couple of years ago. I checked it over pretty good before installing, and found that the "fingers" were at differing heights and varied by about .070". I shimmed them until they were all within .010" before I installed it. I don't know if it would make a difference, but .070" (over 1/16") seemed excessive to me.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:06 AM   #6
Aarongriffey

When I got my F1 it had axle breaking wheel hopping clutch chatter.
I put in a new disc and pressure plate. Also new front mounts. It has been driven maybe 10,000 miles and it still chatters a little, especially in reverse.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
big job

did not chatter before, now it does. Sounds like clutch disk material maybe too hard
made from "modern" junk . Back in my bus co. days we had maybe 60 school buses most
GMC 350 4 sp . No way I'm put woman down but they were hard on clutch's. Just think
how many starts and stops . So we went to metallic disks which were like only three
metallic pads. Talk about chatter. Only way was just let it out don't nurse or baby it.
And that was the end of replacing the clutch. I also think you do not need 1inch free
travel maybe 1/2 inch so the pedal should grab about 1/2 way. Now we go to motor
mounts. Is this just a Ford thing? How about Chryslers notorious "floating power" and
they didn't chatter. And then I blamed it on closed drive shafts. Then all GMs had
those and didn't chatter???? Post #5 very important; fingers should be about dead on.
With trans or engine out we put a dial indicator on pressure plate fingers and dial those in. Many out of the box usually are way off.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #8
tonydennisadw

thanks all were working on it...... one thing when i took the pressure plate out of the box and saw the fingers i thought those dont look good poor casting or machining to me clutch and pressure plate were about 150 bucks also has anyone had any use of centerforce clutch and pressure plates lookinfg for an american made clutch to put in now and center force is i think dennis
Old 05-13-2020, 05:13 AM   #9
tonydennisadw

A bones a friend put the clutch in who is very familiar with ford clutches he has a 53 truck i suspect the pressure plate surface surface was not cleaned if not will it wear off
Old 05-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydennisadw View Post
thanks all were working on it...... one thing when i took the pressure plate out of the box and saw the fingers i thought those dont look good poor casting or machining to me clutch and pressure plate were about 150 bucks also has anyone had any use of centerforce clutch and pressure plates lookinfg for an american made clutch to put in now and center force is i think dennis
I have a Centerforce 10" duel friction and flywheel. I love it. Easy pedal and smooth as silk. A great replacement for the old technology.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
tubman

In case it is of any interest to you, here's what I went through to get my clutch "fingers" equal.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227626
Old 05-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #12
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydennisadw View Post
A bones, a friend put the clutch in who is very familiar with ford clutches he has a 53 truck i suspect the pressure plate surface surface was not cleaned if not will it wear off
Not likely that it will just go away. The stuff is stickier than paint. It may even corrupt the friction disc.

The coating treatment needs a solvent wash, ( most common would be carb cleaner ).

Friction surfaces, clutch and brake, need to be Dry and Dusty to perform properly. The material is expected to hold up under extreme heat, without disintegrating. The grip of the surfaces is supplied by the PP springs or the in the case of brakes it is foot pressure.