Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Need a small inspection camera

Does anyone know of a small inspection or security camera that can be connected to my laptop for viewing?

The camera should be small enough to fit into spark plug holes. It could also be used to view tight spots between double panels to look for rust, etc.

H/F has a small camera, but the screen is also very small, and I was in the store when a customer returned one saying the resolution was not much good.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Need a small inspection camera

search "lip stick" cameras
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
V4F

ask your doctor !
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Roadster Rich

I used one that we have at work (maker unknown) for inspection of cracks inside our parts. I used it to inspect the inside of my gas tank. Problem is that it does not have a wide enough focal length to start at a wide area then to move or zoom in. This makes it very difficult to start by seeing something that you know what it is, then coming in for deeper inspection. It was great for getting extremely close and focusing in on the substrate, but I found it pretty useless. Make sure you get something that you can be about an inch or two away and get a focus of what you see at that distance then be able to focus close up also if you want.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

Tom, the company I worked for before retirement produced flexable fiberscopes with mini cameras. They are used for veteranarians and automotive troubleshooting. You can Google it if interested. look for "Scope Technology in Pomfret Ct". They just moved to Plainfield Ct. but I think they are still listed in Pomfret. Ron Greene(Pres.) would be the guy to talk to.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
joe plumber

I have one that I use that is hand held,but it doesn't connect to a laptop..It is made by Milwaukee.They are available at most big box stores .Don't know if this is what you could use .But it works for me .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
[email protected]

Tom,
EBay and
Amazon has them. Do a search there for inspection camera usb.

Also

You can order some inexpensive ones from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...l3=11663599093

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

They carry one at our Costco stores but I haven't really played with the display model. A buddy looked at the Harbor Freight one, said it was junk and got one from Costco. I should check his out but have a bit on my plate right now.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I have one that I use that is hand held,but it doesn't connect to a laptop..It is made by Milwaukee.They are available at most big box stores .Don't know if this is what you could use .But it works for me .
Tom, I have one like joe has but its made by Testo. I bought it to look in walls for water leaks and etc. I used it on my sons Model A to find the dimple on the timing gear that we couldnt feel with the pin. Was able to get it dead center. Picture shows up good.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
machineman64

I borrowed a Snap On camera from a local shope that worked very well inspecting the ring gear and pinion in a differential saved a lot time as this was a rear end i was considering for parts.
John
machineman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have the snap on camera works excellent but very pricey. can also load the movie onto my pc. you get what you pay for in cameras just like a cctv system
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i have the snap on camera works excellent but very pricey. can also load the movie onto my pc. you get what you pay for in cameras just like a cctv system

Yes from my experience too, Mitch is right on all of this.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
BarracudaBoy
BANNED

Find a aircraft engine mechanic. If he doesn't have one he'll know someone who does.
BarracudaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
lance leblanc

i saw one at the local O'reily Auto parts the other day. I dont know about its resolution but it looked good for $100
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Jim Powers

Talk with your plumber. Mine uses a hand held with a flexible wand. An extension can be added to increase viewing distance. I don't know if it has memory capability to be able to be downloaded to a PC. Most major tool manufacturers have similar versions.
Jim Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Craig Lewis

I bought the Harbour Fright Centech #67980
A big price factor is lens size and I waited a few yrs to find a small one for reasonable cost. This has a 8.5 mm lens with built in LED light that's controlled from the handset. It records pix and movies with options for an added camera storage card (sd). It has a cord to view your pics on a TV or PC monitor but I've found the handset screen is adaquate so haven't tried plugging in. It comes with a nice hard case and the built in battery seems to work even after long storage.
I needed this tool probably a couple dozen times, the last being when I sheared a spark plug tip off inside my 04 f150 and that was the final straw, I bought the camera!
So far I've used it mainly for finding water leaks in cars...and lending out to my friends. It works very well and "feels" like a descent quality tool.
The one thing that drives me insane (well OK there's a few other factors) but mainly it's having no control over the tip once it enters the hole. You seem to sometimes pull it out a hundred times and bend it to go around corners but it takes some patience and is limited where it goes. They REALLY need to market one that "steers".
I've noticed these things are still coming down in price and available at all the major chains.
I would shop for the largest screen size and a small lens. Having a laptop idealy positioned for viewing in a car or worse in an engine compartment, while manouvering cables about, is harder than you might imagine.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #17
modeleh

I bought one off ebay recently, it has a 7mm camera head and a usb end, it was less than 20 bucks, but you'll need a laptop. It works great, plus you have a big screen on the laptop. go to ebay and search usb endoscope, there are lots on there, I went for one with free shipping and the smallest camera head.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
I bought one off ebay recently, it has a 7mm camera head and a usb end, it was less than 20 bucks, but you'll need a laptop. It works great, plus you have a big screen on the laptop. go to ebay and search usb endoscope, there are lots on there, I went for one with free shipping and the smallest camera head.
Good tip and lots of cheap cameras. I wonder how far away you can view, or does it only focus within a couple inches?

I got a kick out of reading the spider description on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
joe plumber

The one I have can be focused at the hand held part that has the viewing screen on it .I also have extensions for it .I had the gear come off the end of my speedometer cable and I put in the hole where the cable fits into the tranny and found it right away and used a pair of mechanical fingers alongside the camera extension to retrieve the gear .You can also focus it by moving the extension in or out .One of the best tools I ever purchaed .JMO
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaBoy View Post
Find a aircraft engine mechanic. If he doesn't have one he'll know someone who does.

it's like he's been inside my hanger.....
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Donvito

I have seen them at Home Depot. They show four of them on their web site from $99 to $199. The Whistler Model # WIC-2409C, for $99, has a "TV/video output jack connects the monitor to your TV with a video cable (not included) for viewing and recording". It might hook up to a laptop too.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #22
modeleh

Tom, I was doing some work on my 62 Lincoln today and thought I would show you a pic of the quality of the chinese usb endoscope I bought. Lincolns used plastic coated timing gear teeth to reduce noise, but over the years the plastic gets brittle and teeth start chipping off and aside from a loose chain, plastic bits can restrict oil passages. Since I got the car, I have never been sure if the timing set had ever been upgraded to an all metal style.
Here is a pic, I have removed the fuel pump and stuck the camera into the timing cover, just in front of the distributor cap. On the laptop screen you can see the two links of chain with the metal tooth between them. Pretty decent detail, good enough for a backyarder to identify what he's looking at anyway. You can't focus or direct the camera, you just move it around until it's focal point is at the right distance from the subject. For less than 20 bucks, I think it's a heck of a deal for an occaisonal use tool. This one has a 2 meter cord, but it might be worth looking for one with a little longer cord.
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote