Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #21
1930artdeco

Default Re: head lights??

Are the LED's plug and play or do you need a special socket. I think the previously shown halogens are plug and play as well.

Mike
Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #22
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Are the LED's plug and play or do you need a special socket. I think the previously shown halogens are plug and play as well.

Mike
Your question was answered in post #15.
Unplug the incandescent bulb and plug in the LED. According to the included instructions you may need to tweak the the headlight adjustment screw. I didn’t need to do that.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #23
Bob Johnson

Yes they are "plug and play". No modifications needed. They are available in either positive or negative ground. Unlike incandescent bulbs you must use the correct polarity bulbs.
Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #24
1930artdeco

Oops, sorry about missing that part.

Mike
Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #25
DHZIEMAN

Follow up on H6006 Sealed beam modification! I completed the modification, and discovered:

1) The original wire clips that hold the Ford diffuser lens to the headlight ring were missing on the second headlight, it was just kind of jury rigged to hold together, got some replacements here locally. (within Missouri) This had nothing to do with the actual mod but…………(be prepared)
2) Comments concerning increased current drain are true. If you do this mod, and plan on a lot of night driving, either the three brush generator needs modified to 2 brush with a 6 volt positive ground regulator, or bite the bullet and get a 6 volt self-regulating positive ground alternator, (and mounting kit), and have the job done right.
3) I found for night driving with my 3 brush set at 10 amps charge that, on low beam, I am discharging 3 amps at running speed, and 7 amps discharge on high beam. For my type of driving, no more than one hour at night, this is not an issue. High beam could be an issue but low beam worked fine.
4) I do not recommend turning up the 3rd brush to compensate, if you do much day driving as, at the turn up to about 17 amps, much day driving will boil water out of the battery, and that is a lot of floorboard opening to get the battery refilled with water. (and the generator is just about at it’s limit. I guess I could leave the lights on all the time but ???????????
5) I wrote to: Classic Dynamo & Regulator Conversions (CDRC) Ltd [email protected] , and received a reply the same day, (their night time), concerning my enquiry! And here is what I got back from Peter J. Jury…..
Yes, we have the bulbs you require.
Choose BA15d and the polarity to suit your car here http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...bulbs-shop.php

6) Conclusion – If I was starting on this all over again, knowing what I know now, I would have replaced the reflectors with something suitable, got the BA15d LED’s with a spare, for about $128.00 US, installed them, and had a fully workable day and night driving headlamp, and probably be able to crank down my 3 brush generator to 6 amps!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #26
Redbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
This is the bloke - Anthony Pearson. http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

He has agents in North America, UK, Europe ... and even NZ!
I just installed a pair of these LED's. WOW, what a difference!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #27
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
Your question was answered in post #15.
Unplug the incandescent bulb and plug in the LED. According to the included instructions you may need to tweak the the headlight adjustment screw. I didn’t need to do that.
No problems with them being British bulbs given that they drive on the other side of the road?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #28
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
No problems with them being British bulbs given that they drive on the other side of the road?
You are being facetious right?
Why would that be a problem? Model A lights are mounted on a ball swivel. Loosen the nut on the bottom and you can turn the light fixture left-right-up-down. You want to aim one in the ditch on the right go for it. 😀😀
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #29
ryanheacox

I guess I phrased the question wrong. Of course you can adjust them anywhere you want but is there any difference where the beam is projected compared to the 50/32cp stock bulbs without changing any adjustment? I guess this is really just to satisfy my own curiosity before I buy a set myself.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #30
updraught

The Model A headlights are good for RHD or LHD. The cut off on low beam is flat.

On modern headlights there is a kick up in the beam to the left for RHD and to to right for LHD. This is to see kangaroos on the side of the road. In RHD countries they jump left to right and in LHD counties right to left.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #31
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
The Model A headlights are good for RHD or LHD. The cut off on low beam is flat.

On modern headlights there is a kick up in the beam to the left for RHD and to to right for LHD. This is to see kangaroos on the side of the road. In RHD countries they jump left to right and in LHD counties right to left.

Good to know. I'll keep my eye out. But I s'pose the roadrunners chase most of them away.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #32
woofa.express

Now that link has solved my lighting deficiency. My current headlights are better than carbide lights, but only just.
When I get them fitted you may even see leaving Tocumwal for Murray Bridge.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #33
Growley bear

I installed sealed beams and a 35 A generator from a '49 Ford.
There are one or two companies making alternators that look like the original generator. A couple years ago it seemed they were not too expensive. I don't remember the company names.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #34
jhowes

Am I the only one that can not get Bob Johnson's pictures on the computer screen? They run off of the right side no matter what I do including shrinking the print 80%. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #35
jhowes

Am I the only one that can not get Bob Johnson's pictures on the computer screen? They run off of the right side no matter what I do including shrinking the print 80%. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #36
Badpuppy

Use the bar at the bottom of screen to scroll l-r.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote