Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
Russell Reay

Default pedal shaft

After removing the clutch and brake pedals I noted some serious (?) wear on the shaft connected to the bell housing. It is hard to measure accurately with a flat feeler gauge, but the wear seems to be about 0.025". The wear pattern indicates excessive foot pressure to the outside of the pedals. Andrews' book makes no mention of wear on this shaft. Is this anything to be concerned about ?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: pedal shaft

Could it be the bushings rather than the shaft? Measure the shaft with a micrometer or calipers. I am not sure what the measurement should be but it will be an even fraction like .750 or .6875. Maybe someone can clarify the number.

My car does not have the grease fittings in the pedals so I am planning on tearing things apart and putting them in. They should be greased every 5,000 miles or so.

The pedals should be a close fit to the shaft, perhaps 0.002 to 0.005.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
mleder

Well you noticed the wear and if you disconnect the linkages to the pedals and slide them back on the shaft do they wobble when you move them side to side etc?, now you have the pedals removed bo ahead and rebush them and try them on the shaft again, better? if still wobble and if you say the shaft is worn go ahead and replace it. You are half way there and any slop you remove from the brake system will add greatly to the return to good or great brakes Don't get hung up on a number from a caliper - if it's worn bring it back to perfect
mleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Reay View Post
the wear seems to be about 0.025". Is this anything to be concerned about ?
If the pedals, brakes and clutch are all working good, .025" ain't no big deal, just drive it as is.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Old 06-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Replacing the shaft is done when the housing is out of the car.
Rebushing and adding grease zerks with your low wear should work good.
Your call.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Patrick L.

That kind of 'slop' [technical term] is hard to measure with feeler strips. So if you think its .025" with the strips then its probably more.
That said, if the pedals don't flop around too much I wouldn't worry about it. This is not something that needs to be perfect. If you think they flop around more than you want then go ahead and fix it [ shaft and bushings].
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
bobbader

OK, the first thing to be concerned with is the overall condition of the pedals. The bushings are most likely "shot" but how badly? If at least 1/3 of the bushing "shell" is missing, have the pedal bosses themselves begun to wear? If so, maybe time to look for better pedals. In any case, new bushings are due. Not to disparage the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, what brought about your need to look into this now? Poor adjustability of either clutch or brake pedal? stoplight switch not going off with brake pedal at rest? Clutch chatter or other issue? My experience is, if you're concerned enough to investigate, "surgery instead of aspirin" is probably called for. While replacing the bushings can help, and will stop any further damage to the pedals, replacing the shaft is called for in most cases. While it is easier to replace the shaft with the bellhousing out of the car and on the workbench, it can be done with the bellhousing in the car. It all depends on your skill (and stress) level to do the job. Anything will help but, 9 times out of 10, the shaft needs replacement as well.

Good luck, Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #8
johnbuckley

I go along with Katy , Brentwood Bob and Patrick L. 25 thou is relatively little wear over 90 years , so easy solution is rebush the pedals and grease well. Replacing the shaft can become a tricky time consuming " wish I hadn't started this " job as removal of pin and the shaft can be difficult unless someone has already done it on your car the last decade or so.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #9
Russell Reay

Appreciate all the feedback. My half-fast car is being dismantled for repairs and reassembly on its way to becoming a Wagon Works huckster. It is now down to a bare bones rolling chassis. I discovered that the steering tube needs repair (see Restorer, Jan 2021), and since I was that close, I removed the pedals just to clean them for repaint, and quickly noticed the wear. I consulted Les Andrews, then posted this inquiry. Ten minutes later I discovered pedal shaft and bushing kits in the catalogs for $14.00. I, too, am a strong advocate of the 'if it ain't broke..' theory, but I will never again be in an easier position to replace the shaft. Before seeing the pics of the shaft in the catalogs, I imagined that it would be necessary to access it from inside the bell. Now that I know the truth, I plan to part with 14 hard-earned green backs and have a new shaft. One more question--I have never reamed a bushing. I presume it is a tool with different bushing sizes. Any advice before I try it?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #10
nkaminar

Adjustable reamers are available from McMaster Carr. Or buy a reamer from one of the suppliers. I have never had very good luck reaming bushings so I will defer to others on the technique.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
Bob C

I just did some and I didn't need to ream them, if I did I would just use a brake cylinder hone.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #12
slowride

is the pedal shaft pressed into the bell housing?
slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #13
Brentwood Bob

Yes. Tom Endy has a great tutorial on this, and I also did a YouTube on bell housing restoration.
http://www.ocmafc.com/Tech.html
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQM4_p9kn8
For my approach, always firmly secure the bell housing BEFORE starting
to do the repair.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 06-05-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #14
Conaway2

I replaced pedal bushings and shaft several months ago during a complete chassis rebuild. I didn’t want to invest in a reamer for a job that I may not do again for a number of years, so simply used wet sandpaper on the bushings, until they fit the new shaft. It took about an hour.

I believe the bushings and shaft were original, as they were badly worn and the pedals flopped back and forth badly. Now all is tight, yet works very smoothly.

Good luck - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #15
Tom Endy

See attached article.

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...v-Dec-2010.pdf
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:47 PM   #16
Synchro909

FWIW, Pedal shafts are not available for our cars, nor are the collars for the end of the shaft. We have to get creative.