Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
Apperloo

Default Fumes

Hi, I am a newbie herewith a new to me 30A pu. First oldtimer for me.
Parked in the garage she gives off a lot of gasoline fumes, like evaporating gas.
No visible drips on the floor, although there is residue under the carb.
I have the under dash pet cock turned off. I have checked the gasket on the cap,it may be hard, but it looks like it is seating well.
Am I missing something?
Thx,Leo
ps, I may have a few dumb questions....
Apperloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Fumes

Most likely culprit is gas weeping/dripping out of the carb. Many have this issue and many cars have shutoff valves that don't seal well either. Your carb may be weeping just enough to cause that residue but it evaporates before it has a chance to drip?

Other culprits can be the sediment bowl, the steering column mount under the tank and possibly the gas gauge. Pretty much after 90 years gas can leak from anywhere. It's a simple system though, you'll find the source soon enough.

I should also mention, since the tank vents to atmosphere along with the carb bowl you may get some gas smell even when everything is functioning as it should. Not a lot of fumes though.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Welcome! a photo of the carb side would be helpful. Could be several things. Do you know which carb you have? Sounds like you may have gas weeping between the carb halves. (gasket). Please watch for gas puddles on the floor. Lots of possibilities. Others will chime in but like I say a photo would help.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
mike657894

the under tank petcock is brass on brass and can leak with scratches. I had to clean mine up. There are affordable replacements. The needle and seat are metal on metal and prone to some weeping of gas. if you have the tank drained clean or replace your pencil filter in the iron sediment bowl. The bottom threads out. use a crescent wrench(or appropriate size) on the flats above the bottom spinner. I think the spinner is a drain but mine is locked up.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Mulletwagon

Probably a slow leak at the shut off valve. You can confirm a leak by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and use some flexible tubing to direct any flow into a bottle. Had the sme problem and discovered the valve leaked about two ounzes overnight. New valve fixed the problem.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Apperloo

pic as requested:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1566226305

Sorry, having a learning session on uploading pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (40.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpeg image4.jpeg (40.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
History

It could be leaking at the glass sediment bowl gasket. Just a swipe with your finger in that area should say. Snyders has the gas cap gaskets cheap if you need one. ((((It could also be running really rich because you have an air cleaner on it. Could that saturate things to the point he gets the gas smell??))) David Renner told me not to run a filter as the carburetor was designed NOT to have one and will run too rich. They can be modified to have an air filter, according to Dave.

If you find your shut off valve, inside and under the gas tank has to be removed, you can jack the car up so what gas that's in the tank flows to one side. Some genius on here posted that idea. It's easy to forget simple things sometimes.

Don't forget to check around the gas line fittings as they could be weeping some.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #8
Curtis in MA

Where are the fumes strongest?
Mine leaked from the gas gauge so fumes were strongest inside.
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Apperloo,

Welcome to the Barn. Same thing happened to me. When we bought our Roadster I brought it home and parked in the garage. Next morning my wife freaked out with the gas smell.

One of the guys in our Model A Club suggested that when I drive it into the garage, turn off the gas valve and leave the car running until all the gas is drained from the carburetor and the engine stops running.

One very important thing, don't forget to turn off the key. I forgot to turn the key off once and ruined my battery.

I would try that before trouble shooting other problems.

Good luck,

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Apperloo

no fumes inside. Definitely from the exterior
Old 08-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Tacoma Bob

OK thanks for posting pics. So you have a Zenith carb. Also looks like crud in the glass sediment bowl. I use Wix filter #33039. Do easy stuff first. No sense tearing into stuff. Remove the air filter. If the carb is running rich the carb screen (filter) may be "water" logged with gasoline. As mentioned run you finger around all the fittings and the carb itself. Does the gas smell fresh or like old varnish?
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning and welcome. Bratton's makes a very fine secondary fuel shut-off with a quarter turn modern ball valve. I love mine. It is part number 13350 and costs $61.05. Bratton's phone number is 800-255-1929. Enjoy your new 'A'. Shut this valve only after installation. Leave the original valve on all the time if it does not leak. Run the carburetor dry...takes a couple or three minutes and things will not smell so much. Check around the fuel gauge with a piece of toilet paper to see if it is weeping. Walt Bratton has the wrench and the gaskets to repair the gauge if it is weeping. Lots of other suppliers as well. Lots of advice here on the barn. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #13
lorenallen

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the shut off valve under the dash even though the valve was less than 1 year old. I changed the valve and the problem went away. I always shut off the valve and let the car quit when it runs out of gas. Have not had any leak problems since. It only takes a small amount of gas to smell up the garage.
lorenallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #14
Apperloo

Wow, Lots of help, advice and good ideas on this forum . Thanks.
After work I pulled the sediment bowl, and immediately the problem was apparent. One big drip 1 to 2 min apart. I suspect by morning the bowl will be full.
I will order and replace the gas cock. Hopefully just a re+re
On another note, is there some suggestion to remove the airfilter .....
Old 08-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #15
MVal

Don't think anyone has mentioned this but having a gas leak in a garage can be a major problem if a source of ignition is there too like a hot water heater. Park it outside until the leak issue is solved so you don't have a much larger problem.
MVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #16
ryanheacox

Yup, that’s exactly what my old shutoff did. Would run the car out of gas and 2 hours later I would be dripping gas.

I will argue that regardless of the condition of the shutoff valve, the carb should not leak gas. The float valve in the carb should be able to seal off the flow of gas.

However, a working shutoff will buy you some time before you fix the leaky carb.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
History

I agree Ryan. His leak could have been gas oozing around the sediment bowl gasket as it appears his float valve was working as it wouldn't let gas flow back into his sediment bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apperloo View Post
On another note, is there some suggestion to remove the airfilter .....
David Renner, of Renners Corner where I purchased "flow tested" jets for a carburetor like yours told me to remove mine. He explained that originally there wasn't an air filter on these carbs. They were designed to run without one and when one is placed on the carb it now changes the air flow to less with more gas. The restriction in air flow is similar to having the choke partially on.

I haven't even started my car since I got it as I've been cleaning the fuel system and going over things ,brakes, transmission, electrical,,,,,,,,,,,. But what he said makes sense. He can take your carburetor and modify it to run as it should with an air filter. I'm going to try mine both ways and see what difference it makes, while I don't doubt his statement at all.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #18
Apperloo

In cruising around thru the parts list, now that it has been confirmed to be a Zenith carb, a new modern needle kit #A-9564.
States it is designed to prevent a leaky carb. Is that only while running or?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #19
ryanheacox

Renners is the go to place for everything carb related on a Model A. I have flow tested jets from them in my car.

If you aren't driving on a bunch of dusty dirt roads I agree with them about air filters.

Apperloo, did you notice any leaks/weeping around the sediment bowl or just around the carb?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #20
Apperloo

Only around the carb. And still.
Even with the sediment bowl half empty which baffles me a bit.